•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

California - Fires

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#151 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

Of course I do have perspective.  When I consider the reason I am experiencing this "problem" it is hard to get too upset about my circumstances.  Others are dealing with much more serious issues.  But it is remarkable that the fires out west are having that big of an impact here.

:ubetcha:

It's cleared up here, the winds are taking the smoke from the fires to north of us in an easterly direction.  Who knows what's going to happen, the fire season is far from over.

Jon

• CollinofAlabama likes this

#152 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:11 PM

ubetcha.gif

It's cleared up here, the winds are taking the smoke from the fires to north of us in an easterly direction.  Who knows what's going to happen, the fire season is far from over.

Jon

The skies were clear again today but this time we have a nice blue sky.  So I'm going out tonight. 

#153 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 19 September 2020 - 03:29 PM

We are finally down to about 50 on air quality. Best skies in about a month. I could feel the sunshine on me today.

#154 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

We're still at 157 on the 2.5 micron index.
The sky is blue though, so a patio view is on tonight's schedule.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#155 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:36 PM

We are at 49 on the 2.5 micron index, but skies are still white here with upper level smoke.  Probably losing 2.5 to 3 magnitudes at the zenith.  Viewing won't be worthwhile.  If it's like yesterday, the sun will look a full moon brightness as it sets. 

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 19 September 2020 - 04:37 PM.

#156 ihf

ihf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 19 September 2020 - 11:35 PM

The satellite showed the fire having crossed the villages of Camp Nelson and Ponderosa, but this Visalia Times Delta article says the fire fighters managed to save the houses there. Nevertheless 150 structures in smaller settlements were lost.

#157 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:08 AM

Creek fire is now almost 272,000 acres with 25% containment.  The containment in the populated zones has been effective.  Fire seems to have jumped in the past 24 hours on the north end with a new string near Cora Lakes.  Looks like the center of the northern line is reaching Norris and Jacka$$ Lakes.  I assume burning will continue up there until the rains come.  

The Creek fire is now at #8 of recorded largest in California...behind four others this year, only two of which are near containment.  The SQF at 133,000 acres would have been well into the top 20 largest known California fires only a few years ago, but isn't even in the top 20 yet--unfortunately that will probably change next week.

Edited by Redbetter, 20 September 2020 - 02:29 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and ihf like this

#158 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:21 PM

Have had a fair bit of ash today.  SQF (Castle Fire) has broken through broadly and deeply to the west.  Looks like the opportunity to contain that one in the short term has passed.  Now the question is how far it will extend north and south on the western side of the range.  How many more hops will it make?

The way things look, eventually, nearly all of the western Sierra conifer ridge and drainage areas are likely to burn off the standing deadwood over the next several years.

It looks like the fire is slowly backing down through Garfield Grove.  It is almost to the South Fork Grove.  I assume that it is good data!!!

Looking at the Cal-Topo site you can check fire history and get all the fires since 2000.

https://caltopo.com/m/176F

If you go up and down the Sierra....there is MORE unburned forest than burned.  And really very little forest that has been burned twice.  It looks like the Sierra will keep burning for at least two or three more decades.

#159 ihf

ihf

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

You can get "California Fire Perimeters (1878-2015)" on the left pannel here https://ia.cpuc.ca.gov/firemap/

The problem is that history doesn't tell much, as the fires involving trees have gotten more frequent, bigger and hotter. Part of it is tree kills by the recent 2011-2016 drought. But that is only part of the story as LA had some massive burns even before that.

#160 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Messenger

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 21 September 2020 - 05:15 PM

I had looked at a map showing the travel of the smoke sometime early last week. It seemed to be headed almost straight eastward. It seems wind direction changes shifted it a bit southward as now its creating a haze here in far west Texas. Noticed that the Moon was kind of orange last night and now the distant mountains are invisible. This reminds me of the massive fires in Arizona a few years back. At least, as of now, the smell of smoke isn't present- yet.

Everyone caught in the mess, be careful.

#161 CollinofAlabama

CollinofAlabama

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lubbock, Texas, USA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

Here in West Texas, 1500 miles or so from most of the western burning, the sunrises and sunsets have been spectacular!  Their beauty, of course, has the cast of sadness when we consider the unprecedented fires our western citizens in Colorado, Utah, California, Oregon and Washington have endured, after unprecedented droughts.  This area of Texas, the Llano Estacado, is one of the flattest places you'll ever see on planet earth 993 meters above sea level.  I was driving my daughters to school yesterday, and a deep orange sun, huge and oversized as it and the moon are when very low, was cresting the eastern horizon, half-sized.  Unfortunately, we were in a hurry and I couldn't stop.  By the time I'd dropped my second daughter off at Middle School, the sun was already too high and bright to look at easily, but on our drive in, one could look straight at it, naked eye, its rotund semicircle slowing climbing over the edge of our line of sight.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB-sunset1.jpg
  • FB-sunset2.jpg
  • FB-sunset-ThaiKitchen.jpg
  • FB-sunset-Nadeesha.jpg

Edited by CollinofAlabama, 23 September 2020 - 12:41 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, ihf and brlasy1 like this

#162 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

No one knows the health effects of breathing this stuff for weeks at a time, but your 2nd picture is how the sun looked when it was on the meridian at the worst of the smoke for us.

2.5ยต particle counts were above 500 for many days.It has declined to ~100 now, but, to put that in perspective, a count of 30 is considered unhealthful for some people.

And prior to the fires, we averaged ~10-15 where I live.

#163 jc482p

jc482p

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: northern NJ, USA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

Around a week ago, I saw the Sun look like his second photo too, and I'm on the East Coast.  Yeesh.

But according to the local weather forecasters, all the smoke was really high up in the atmosphere, so I'm assuming this isn't as much of a health issue as it is out West.

Edited by jc482p, 24 September 2020 - 02:07 PM.

#164 lalojamesliz

lalojamesliz

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bakersfield, California

Posted 24 September 2020 - 05:47 PM

I live about 275 miles south from Sacramento and today is the best air report I've seen in a long time. 

The 2.5 PM is only at 26 right now! 

I work nights so I won't be able to enjoy this tonight :(

#165 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:04 PM

As the Sun sank towards the horizon on Tuesday night, when the smoke returned to Pennsylvania, it was very red.  Here's an iPhone shot that I took when it was still higher in the sky.  The Sun was deep yellow in hue at the time.

Attached Thumbnails

• Sunset Tuesday September 22.jpg

• CollinofAlabama likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics