•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

California - Fires

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#201 gwlee

gwlee

Vanguard

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 14 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

I took a look at NGC 7789.  I could sort of see it naked eye, but it was more suspected than anything else due to the low contrast and the bordering 7+ mag stars that run together in these conditions, on the Milky Way backdrop.  And that is without considering that I can see the companions for both rho and sigma Cas that are in the 6 mag range.  I did a check with the 2.3x Gallilean binocs and the additional scale/reach (and ability to focus past my naked eye 0.5 to 0.75 diopters of myopia) allows me to see NGC 7789 as a distinct averted vision blob compared to the 7th mag stars, but it is still subtle.  

Whatever I was seeing naked eye in the plotted position of Caroline’s Rose on October 12th was a threshold observation that faded in and out over two hours the sky got darker and the object climbed higher. 

Last night, the sky wasn’t quite as transparent and neighbors 100 yards away had porch lights on, so whatever  I was seeing naked eye was less distinct, more like an averted imagination view. Putting the 7x50 on that position showed Caroline’s Rose faintly with direct vision as well as Rho Cas and Sigma Cas on opposite sides of it. 

#202 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: California, USA

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:28 PM

Unfortunately the Creek fire found another large pocket of unburned trees. Combine this with the current heat and the Sierra is full of smoke again.

#203 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 17 October 2020 - 09:46 AM

Same here in Colorado, helped by 60-80+ mph winds.  The sky yesterday late afternoon looked like a disaster movie with all the smoke.  Last time I saw skies like that was in the Independence Day movie....a spaceship would not have surprised me yesterday.  Here, the winds generally keep the worst away till afternoon, when they change direction an bring all the smoke across the front range.

#204 JedF

JedF

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:43 AM

I got out last night for the first time in weeks; a combination of travel and smoke have kept the scope in the house since August (I’ve driven from Northern California to Northern Idaho to LA and back over the last 3 weeks - plenty of hot weather and smoke with the exception of an excellent rainstorm at Priest Lake, ID...) 

The sky was deep blue in the afternoon, the forecast was for excellent seeing, and of course, the moon was new.  
I did notice a little more color than I expected in all directions around sunset, but by the end of twilight the sky looked clear, with good definition of the Milky Way, M31 and the Double Cluster clearly visible naked eye.  I could convince myself that I could see some structure of the NA nebula, just about at zenith.  
The view through the scope just didn’t deliver for me, though. The sky background seemed oddly bright, the double cluster didn’t “pop” like it usually does, M33 was just the faintest wisp, NGC 7789 was barely there.  The seeing was good, I had Mars at about 180x without much swimming,  but I couldn’t elicit any detail.  Maybe I was out of practice, or maybe I just wasn’t feeling it.

There’s always tonight...

#205 Chucke

Chucke

Viking 1

• Loc: AZ

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:03 PM

Looks like a low pressure system has set up over AZ and is sucking in smoke from central Cal.  Just saw it starting to show up a couple of hours ago. We will probably be smoked out for at least the next couple of nights.  Too bad.  We have had some really nice nights the past week or so.  I was hoping to finish up a couple of imaging projects tonight but that's not going to happen.

Edited by Chucke, 17 October 2020 - 04:03 PM.

#206 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:59 AM

Unfortunately Los Angeles has another fire. And while most other fires have slowed down they are still smoldering and some like the Creek fire burning. It finally cooled down, but no rain so far.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#207 MarMax

MarMax

Messenger

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2020 - 12:12 PM

Yes, the Blue Ridge fire, now in the Chino Hills area, is growing. My wife's brother in Chino Hills had to evacuate yesterday. We are about 10 miles West of this and it's just as bad as when the Bobcat fire was going full speed. There is also the Silverado fire a bit South of this.

#208 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

The bad news...is that you are 20 to 50 years away until the fire frequency starts dropping in the west.  You have to burn the forests.....TWICE.  The second fire gets rid of the dead trees from the first fire.  That fire generally burns hotter and sterilizes the soil so that we go back to grass and brush instead of forests.

Worse news for southern California.  It is 20 years before their wildlands are ready to burn again.

#209 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 05:38 PM

Three times over the past month or so we had a "chance of rain/snow" in the mountains, actually more than a chance, precip. totals were being modeled for several of them and they were expected events.  Nada to show for any of the three forecasts, as I have grown to expect here.  The multi-day forecasts here are typically more "hopeful" than useful. They tend to fade back to the prevailing pattern in the final 24 hours.   Unfortunately, the prevailing pattern remains dry.  Until the pattern is broken...expect more of the same.  Weather here is a light switch:  summer/dry, and that other cooler/semi-wet season.  It doesn't "feather in" much during the shoulder months.  

#210 river-z

river-z

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2020 - 06:27 PM

It smells like a campfire all day here in LA. Awful.

#211 ihf

ihf

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 November 2020 - 07:43 PM

Looks like the fire season is over in the Sierra Nevada. Snow and rain started falling over the Creek Fire.

Strong winds blew across the fire on Friday but they were not as intense as had been forecast. While a peak wind gust of 73 mph was recorded in Mammoth, about 5 miles north of the fire perimeter, the highest gust  recorded within the fire footprint was 46 mph at a remote automated weather station at about the 9,000-foot level on Mount Tom west of Mono Hot Springs and north of Huntington Lake. Forecasters had called for wind gusts up to 55 mph in the fire area. Despite the strong winds, fire managers reported relatively little fire spread, even in the northeast corner of the fire around Pond Lilly Lake and Pumice Butte where the fire has been most active in recent days. "We did fly it (Friday) and the report was that it was just ground fire and not very impressive with the amount of wind we had," Alaska Incident Management Team Operations Section Chief Casey Boesflug said. Infrared aircraft were not able to fly Friday night so there was no change in overall acreage. Light precipitation in the form of rain at lower elevations and snow at higher elevations fell across the fire overnight Friday. More rain and snow is forecast today and Sunday, with a total accumulation of 4-8 inches of snow expected at higher elevations and ¼-¾ of an inch rain at lower elevations by Sunday evening. Temperatures at higher elevations are forecast to fall below freezing for the next few days. Given the potentially hazardous road conditions and number of personnel and equipment working on the fire, the public is asked to refrain from driving into the fire area. The precipitation, increased relative humidity and colder temperatures will pull considerable life out of the fire, said incident Fire Behavior Analyst Byron Kimball. The primary way the fire has remained active in the northeast corner is by spotting, or casting embers in front of itself that then ignite dry fuels on the forest floor. “Spotting is going to drop way off,” Kimball said, “Those fine fuels will no longer receptive to ignition.”

#212 tommm

tommm

Viking 1

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:22 PM

4" at my house at 4800 ft near Reno, NV this morning.

#213 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 08 November 2020 - 12:57 PM

I can't give any advice to you other than waiting for the smoke to dissipate. Where I am, fires never have been this bad as long as I have lived here, but the atmosphere can get so hazy observing at night is futile. If observing makes me feel like I am chain smoking like my grandmother before she died of lung cancer, I would not bother that night.

Taras

#214 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 09 November 2020 - 03:28 AM

Finally got 0.1" of rain in the valley (with a few small hail pellets), first since May.  Didn't even manage to wet the open back porch mat though...should settle the dust in most places for a few days, but not enough to wash it or the ash off.   I can see some snow in the mountains down to lower elevations so the totals in the back country should be suppressing fire in those areas, which have been allowed to burn with zero intervention from what I have gotten out of daily reports.  

Nice to be able to see some real blue between clouds today.  Haven't seen that since July.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics