•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter w/GRS, Oval BA, Novel NTrZ White Spot [DSLR]

dslr Maksutov planet astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 11 September 2020 - 08:21 AM

Hey, any experience you're willing to share is appreciated! I do have 7.5mm and 10mm eyepieces as well, so maybe I'll start with the 10mm. I just thought it would be a wee bit easier to try the 17mm since I have to manually guide my LX200 to keep the planet in the 5X live view.

#52 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 15 September 2020 - 04:35 AM

Any luck?

#53 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:50 AM

I was all set, and then BOOM! Wildfire smoke. Some of the predictions show it starting to clear in the next day or two. Fingers crossed...

#54 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:26 AM

fingerscrossed.gif

#55 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

Well tonight is looking possibly ok... hooked up the eyepiece projection adapter, and the view through the camera at distant trees through the eyepiece looks much sharper than the cheap Barlow. Now if the clouds and smoke cooperate.

#56 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 03:51 AM

Excellent!

I had the opportunity to borrow an entire Plössl eyepiece set and compare prime eyepieces with eyepieces in a cheap Barlow. There's just no comparison. The step function in quality is actually much larger from Barlow to prime Plössl than from prime Plössl to prime orthoscopic. So I've eradicated Barlows from my hardware set.

I posted the only ray diagrams I could find comparing a Powermate with a Barlow, but unfortunately I've never found any point spread diagrams showing the difference. I'm happy to recommend orthoscopics over Plössls, but I have no idea if a Powermate would do better (and I'm not gonna pay $200-300 to find out!—each of my orthoscopics was just $100!).

BQ

#57 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

Well I got some data... but the seeing was really bad. It’s really tough to tell when the scope is in focus. I need to find a better way. But regardless, I think the eyepiece worked a lot better, and although I don’t think it’ll end up with a useable image, it’ll be a good exercise. The real goal is Mars once it gets high enough in the evening. Jupiter was barely 20° above the horizon...

#58 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:13 AM

Well I got some data... but the seeing was really bad. It’s really tough to tell when the scope is in focus. I need to find a better way. But regardless, I think the eyepiece worked a lot better, and although I don’t think it’ll end up with a useable image, it’ll be a good exercise. The real goal is Mars once it gets high enough in the evening. Jupiter was barely 20° above the horizon...

Shooting planets at ≤30˚ elevation requires some really steady seeing. The number of air masses you're looking through is an exponential function of zenith distance. Here's what it looks like by elevation angle:

post-273658-0-08170600-1599872889.jpg

It might actually be easier to start with Mars!

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, Maksutov, planet, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics