•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My First Scope: Bausch and Lomb 61-8080

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:35 AM

My father got this for my birthday sometime in the early 90's.  And so it began.

I haven't used it in ages but got it off the shelf today after lugging around my monster 10 inch Newt last night.  Its time to give the old B&L some love and see what I can see tonight.  

Looking for upgrade recommendations.  I'd like to get some decent EP's that can do double duty with my other scope.  Something wide field, 1.25, not too pricey.  Also am thinking its time to invest in a decent tripod - something that can handle a larger OTA, which I'm starting to look at as my next scope.

I'd like to get the camera adapter for this but no joy yet.  If anyone has a lead on one I'd be grateful.  I'm hoping to adapt my iPhone to it and try my hand at AP.

IMG 4131
IMG 4132
IMG 4133

• mattyfatz and Bomber Bob like this

#2 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:37 PM

Had this little guy earlier - see https://www.cloudyni...ting-scope-f10/

#3 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:17 PM

I read through that post, very informative!  

Looking forward to taking this little guy out for a spin tonight

#4 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:09 AM

I got a generic phone adapter and got a few shots last night.  Fun!  Now I'm really on the lookout for some connections to turn this into a little AP rig!

Moon
Jupiter

Jupiter didn't turn out great but I was just happy to find it in view at all.

• Bomber Bob and shredder1656 like this

#5 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2020 - 03:12 PM

I've done a little more research on the camera adapter.

This thread says that the original adapter is a 36.4mm female thread to a male T-Thread.

I found this 36.4mm to T2 adapter.  It describes it as "The Baader T2-03 adapter converts the small internal M36.4 x 1 threads found on Vixen or Takahashi telescopes to a T-2 standard external thread, enabling you to solidly attach T-2 accessories to your Vixen, Takahashi, or Chinese telescope with 36.4mm threads (i.e. Celestron, Synta, Orion, among others)."

So if I got that, and a suitable T2 camera adapter (for an as-of-yet unpurchased DSLR), would that work for doing some AP with this scope?  Would I need an additional extension piece needed to ensure the correct focal length?

I'm new at the AP piece so really appreciate any guidance.

#6 oleg16

oleg16

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

I got a generic phone adapter and got a few shots last night.  Fun!  Now I'm really on the lookout for some connections to turn this into a little AP rig!

Jupiter didn't turn out great but I was just happy to find it in view at all.

Hi, I am also new astronomy. I have ETX70, and I used my samsung galaxy s9 to take some pictures. They were not great, but better than nothing. If your phone has Pro settings (camera), I would suggest using those. Pro settings have manual focuser and light controls. So in your picture the Jupiter is bright, you can adjust that on your phone.

#7 shredder1656

shredder1656

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:46 PM

Not sure if this will help you, but hopefully.

I've fallen into the digiscoping/phonescoping rabbit hole. Long story, but it all started on this forum anyway.

I discovered, thru the "other" hobby, "Phoneskope". Google them. You mentioned using your Iphone. If that's your intention, Phoneskope has an amazing array of adapters. I use them, and they're great. Not cheap, but not expensive.

If you need more info, I can try to get it. Good luck!

#8 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:29 PM

Not sure if this will help you, but hopefully.

I've fallen into the digiscoping/phonescoping rabbit hole. Long story, but it all started on this forum anyway.

I discovered, thru the "other" hobby, "Phoneskope". Google them. You mentioned using your Iphone. If that's your intention, Phoneskope has an amazing array of adapters. I use them, and they're great. Not cheap, but not expensive.

If you need more info, I can try to get it. Good luck!

Thanks, looks interesting

I’m not really planning to use my phone long term. I’m trying to find a suitable adaptor to mount a camera, and am just messing with the phone for now.

The scope im using has a non-standard size which is making it a little hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:26 PM

Another advice is there are helpful apps for phone camera use. Recommend NightCap for iPhones. It allows you more access to the camera's settings and can integrate multiple images into one.

As to phone cameras / real cameras, best to start out learning with the phone cameras for considerable time. The knowledge transfers over well, and you don't have the weight balance issues.

#10 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

Another advice is there are helpful apps for phone camera use. Recommend NightCap for iPhones. It allows you more access to the camera's settings and can integrate multiple images into one.

As to phone cameras / real cameras, best to start out learning with the phone cameras for considerable time. The knowledge transfers over well, and you don't have the weight balance issues.

Good advice thanks.  I'll check out that app.

#11 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vannes - France

Posted 13 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

As wfj said, we posted a lot about your OTA. About your need for a camera adapter, why not thinking about this Meade model; https://www.astronom...ds-t-ring.html?

As you can see on the photo below, my adapter screws on the back of the OTA and does not have that top screw on the top of it like on yours. Unless you get lucky and find one on CN, it's probably a good solution.

towa OTA.jpg

• wfj likes this

#12 lowroller21

lowroller21

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:41 PM

As wfj said, we posted a lot about your OTA. About your need for a camera adapter, why not thinking about this Meade model; https://www.astronom...ds-t-ring.html?

As you can see on the photo below, my adapter screws on the back of the OTA and does not have that top screw on the top of it like on yours. Unless you get lucky and find one on CN, it's probably a good solution.

attachicon.giftowa OTA.jpg

Not a bad idea, but I’d really like to find the screw in adapter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Tourneciel

Tourneciel

Vostok 1

• Loc: Vannes - France

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:44 PM

I understand you. wink.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics