•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I found a perfect flat maker

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:38 PM

This one has no banding and it is wireless with a rechargeable battery. 

Attached Thumbnails

• flat2.jpg
  • flat.jpg

• H-Alfa, dmdouglass, TimN and 6 others like this

#2 jerahian

jerahian

Apollo

• Loc: Maine

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:50 PM

This one has no banding and it is wireless with a rechargeable battery. 

I have some questions about this if you don't mind.

1. When you power off the device and power it back on, will it remember the last brightness and temperature setting you had set or does it reset?
  2. Assuming a battery is not plugged into it, will it turn off if you cut power and turn on again if you provide power back?  That is, if you leave that little switch in the back flipped to ON, will it immediately turn on when you plug it in.  Asking to see if it can be controlled with a switchable DC power port.

Thanks,

Ara

• RossW likes this

#3 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

I have some questions about this if you don't mind.

1. When you power off the device and power it back on, will it remember the last brightness and temperature setting you had set or does it reset?
  2. Assuming a battery is not plugged into it, will it turn off if you cut power and turn on again if you provide power back?  That is, if you leave that little switch in the back flipped to ON, will it immediately turn on when you plug it in.  Asking to see if it can be controlled with a switchable DC power port.

Thanks,

Ara

Answers:
#1. It will remember the brightness and kelvin rating
#2. It will turn on if you plug it in and the switch is "ON" without battery, turning it off from the DC adaptor and turning it back on will power it back on and remember the kelvin and brightness. You can use the normal 12V cigarette cable directly

Edited by stryker66, 24 August 2020 - 08:16 PM.

• cmooney91 and jerahian like this

#4 CCD-Freak

CCD-Freak

Vendor - Portable Observatories

• Vendors
  • Loc: Whitesboro,Texas

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:17 PM

I found a 9" version too.   I may have to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B07JKT95H9

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Edited by CCD-Freak, 24 August 2020 - 08:20 PM.

• stryker66 likes this

#5 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 24 August 2020 - 08:24 PM

I found a 9" version too.   I may have to get one of these.

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B07JKT95H9

John

CCD-Freak

WD5IKX

Oh yeah! I was looking for my RC10 I am wondering if this is enough, I have to measure tomorrow. Thanks

#6 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:06 AM

Since you have pronounced this as 'perfect' may we assume that you have tested this?

Which test did you use?

dan k.

• H-Alfa and RossW like this

#7 Louisv28

Louisv28

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 August 2020 - 10:15 AM

Oh yeah! I was looking for my RC10 I am wondering if this is enough, I have to measure tomorrow. Thanks

There is also a 10”...just ordered one for my Edge HD 9.25”. The light is 24 cm wide and the rim Is 27 cm. 2 cm thick.

• stryker66 likes this

#8 dayglow

dayglow

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

Can it be made dim enough for flats ?  Will Neutral Density filters be required to avoid very short (sub-second) exposure times for your scope ?

#9 Phillip Easton

Phillip Easton

Messenger

• Loc: DFW

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:37 PM

Does it have ASCOM drivers???  lol.gif

• happylimpet, GoldSpider, t-ara-fan and 1 other like this

#10 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:40 AM

Since you have pronounced this as 'perfect' may we assume that you have tested this?

Which test did you use?

dan k.

Yes!, Here are my masters for the 3 cameras..

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

#11 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:43 AM

Can it be made dim enough for flats ?  Will Neutral Density filters be required to avoid very short (sub-second) exposure times for your scope ?

it can be dimmed yes

#12 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:18 AM

Yes, I see it dims to 20% but is that dim enough. How long are your flats? Do u use a t-shirt still?

#13 HunterofPhotons

HunterofPhotons

Apollo

• *----
  • Loc: Rhode Island, USA

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:15 AM

Since I don't have access to Google Drive I'll assume that you've posted your flat masters.

That is not a test of how accurate the flat is, and presumably how even the illumination is from your flat panel.

Here is a link to an article on how to test a flat panel:

https://www.optecinc...T_March2011.pdf

It's easy to get a flat that kind of works, it's not so easy getting one that works well (or is 'perfect').

dan k.

• t-ara-fan, OldManSky and limeyx like this

#14 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:08 PM

Since I don't have access to Google Drive I'll assume that you've posted your flat masters.

That is not a test of how accurate the flat is, and presumably how even the illumination is from your flat panel.

Here is a link to an article on how to test a flat panel:

https://www.optecinc...T_March2011.pdf

It's easy to get a flat that kind of works, it's not so easy getting one that works well (or is 'perfect').

dan k.

Just showing that there is no banding, I have very flat lights and thats all that matters to me

#15 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

It looks like it has an AC power option.  I have heard flat panels that run on batteries can dim as your session progresses.

How is the R/G/B balance?  What does a histogram look like?

#16 Louisv28

Louisv28

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 03:15 PM

Here it is, at 3300K, lowest intensity (20%) but my iPhone darkens it some more on this picture. The LEDs around the perimeter should not be a problem if your aperture is smaller. It can become very bright, and white: 5600K, at maximum. The two parameters can be controlled independently, 3300K to 5600K (for the “T” model), and 20% to 100% intensity.

Attached Thumbnails

• BF9361CA-0097-4836-9AA9-E711B47D64FB.jpeg

Edited by Louisv28, 26 August 2020 - 03:19 PM.

• stryker66 likes this

#17 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:29 PM

It looks like it has an AC power option.  I have heard flat panels that run on batteries can dim as your session progresses.

How is the R/G/B balance?  What does a histogram look like?

Histogram is fine more towards to the right, since I set my ADU half the well capacity, APT will do the rest for me, only takes about 3min per 30 flat frames

Edited by stryker66, 26 August 2020 - 06:31 PM.

#18 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:35 PM

Yes, I see it dims to 20% but is that dim enough. How long are your flats? Do u use a t-shirt still?

it is dim enough for RGB, APT measures the ADU using the CCD flat tool

#19 gregbradley

gregbradley

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:59 AM

Is there a larger one around 14 inches?

Greg.

#20 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

Vendor - Buckeyestargazer.net

• Vendors
  • Loc: IN, USA

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:07 AM

Here it is, at 3300K, lowest intensity (20%) but my iPhone darkens it some more on this picture. The LEDs around the perimeter should not be a problem if your aperture is smaller. It can become very bright, and white: 5600K, at maximum. The two parameters can be controlled independently, 3300K to 5600K (for the “T” model), and 20% to 100% intensity.

There appears to be a small checkerboard pattern all across the image.  Is that just a property of a picture taken with an iPhone?  Or is there flickering going on that our eyes just can't see?

#21 Wigleydh

Wigleydh

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:42 AM

My old light panel died and I got one of these to try as a replacement. That is a pattern on the actual panel. I used this panel the first time this morning. I put a white t-shirt folded twice between the panel and the scope tube to hopefully keep that pattern from possibly being an issue. I had to do that on the old panel that had some lines when set dim. I've not had a chance yet to process the flats. I'm looking forward to seeing how they did.

#22 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

There appears to be a small checkerboard pattern all across the image.  Is that just a property of a picture taken with an iPhone?  Or is there flickering going on that our eyes just can't see?

the checkered pattern will not affect the flats, even if you stretch the image it is not visible, if you really think about it, the white t-shirt has this pattern if you focus on it but scope is way out of focus for it to be recognized. I am already using this flat for last 3 of my latest images and it comes out perfect everytime as long as the dark gain/temp/offset matches your lights.

• jerahian likes this

#23 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:20 AM

the checkered pattern will not affect the flats, even if you stretch the image it is not visible, if you really think about it, the white t-shirt has this pattern if you focus on it but scope is way out of focus for it to be recognized. I am already using this flat for last 3 of my latest images and it comes out perfect everytime as long as the dark gain/temp/offset matches your lights.

It's not actually the checkerboard pattern I'm concerned about, but the frequency/modulation that the lights use.  If you have to use really short exposures in order to get the right ADU, that modulation can show up on your flats and subsequently on your calibrated lights.  I built an LED flat panel a while back that uses an Arduino controller for remote operation, and I had to adjust the frequency in order to avoid this pattern showing up on my flats/lights.  

However, it sounds like this checkerboard pattern is on the flat panel itself, not the frequency of the LED lights modulation.  

#24 stryker66

stryker66

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:42 AM

It's not actually the checkerboard pattern I'm concerned about, but the frequency/modulation that the lights use.  If you have to use really short exposures in order to get the right ADU, that modulation can show up on your flats and subsequently on your calibrated lights.  I built an LED flat panel a while back that uses an Arduino controller for remote operation, and I had to adjust the frequency in order to avoid this pattern showing up on my flats/lights.  

However, it sounds like this checkerboard pattern is on the flat panel itself, not the frequency of the LED lights modulation.  

nothing is showing up, I have a raw of the master flat on this post, it is very clean. You just have to test this your own but I already tested this and dont want to debate about technicalities, all i know is that it works

#25 buckeyestargazer

buckeyestargazer

• Vendors

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:46 AM

nothing is showing up, I have a raw of the master flat on this post, it is very clean. You just have to test this your own but I already tested this and dont want to debate about technicalities, all i know is that it works

And I'm not at all trying to debate you.  I'm just asking questions. I'm glad it works for you and I'm interested too, which is why I'm asking.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics