•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ed Ting's Orion 120 Review

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#1 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:16 PM

Cool review:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Y8OedyDOYwo

Wish he would have added a filter or two and discussed them for visual and imaging...

• Daniel Mounsey, turtle86, Lewis Cason and 6 others like this

#2 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:32 PM

Then it would be a filter review.
  • Jim7728, Jeff B, gnowellsct and 3 others like this

#3 RLK1

RLK1

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

Then it would be a filter review.

Not really since he was talking about different ways of suppressing chromatic aberration in a refractor, ie longer focal lengths, apochromatic lenses and the differences between them. I would have liked his take on a visual filter for suppressing chromatic aberration in a fast scope such as the one being reviewed. My own preference for a filter in a fast refractor for visual use is a Hoya FL-DAY but I would have liked to know his...

• BFaucett and Augustus like this

#4 Ronny Floyd

Ronny Floyd

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga,TN

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:29 PM

I'm very surprised that he has so few subscribers to his channel. 

• zjc26138 likes this

#5 eyeoftexas

eyeoftexas

Viking 1

Posted 25 August 2020 - 08:57 PM

I've always enjoyed his website: https://www.scoperev....com/index.html

• zjc26138, Ant78, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#6 39.1N84.5W

39.1N84.5W

He asked for it

• Loc: cincinnati

Posted 25 August 2020 - 09:20 PM

Why not leave him a message in the YouTube comments and ask for a filter review?

#7 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:12 PM

That was a good comparison and review of the Orion 120 ST. 

• Jim7728, eros312, REC and 2 others like this

#8 samovu

samovu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So CA

Posted 25 August 2020 - 11:42 PM

Cool review:

Wish he would have added a filter or two and discussed them for visual and imaging...

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea that he was putting up reviews on YouTube. 

Around a decade ago, we were shopping for a grand piano (for my wife) and were thinking about one from Yamaha. Came across his website about Yamaha pianos and it was quite helpful. Later, after getting interested in amateur telescopes, found his scopereviews.com site. Glad to see that he’s on YouTube now. I’ll become one of his followers. 

• CollinofAlabama, tog, zjc26138 and 4 others like this

#9 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:09 AM

I typed his name in several astronomy searches on YouTube and nothing ever came up ??? I’m bookmarking that site asap if not quicker.

• 25585 likes this

#10 Ronny Floyd

Ronny Floyd

Apollo

• Loc: Chattanooga,TN

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:32 PM

I bet his subscribers grow as folks here on CN realize that he seems to be adding more astro  content to his YouTube channel. 

• BFaucett and Tyson M like this

#11 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:44 PM

Very good review I have the Orion 120mm st and just love the scope it does have some false color but the scope is very sharp I must of got lucky and got one with very good optics I have no problem on good nights using a 4mm eyepiece and getting sharp views of the moon plus nice details on Saturn and Jupiter. A lot of folks under estimate this scope saying it a one trick pony but I don't agree.  I started using a No #8 yellow filter combined with a skyglow filter on this scope and this has got rid of most if not all the false color plus the skyglow filter seems to get rid of most of the yellow from the No #8 filter for a very nice natural life like view. This is one scope that will stay with me its just a fun scope to use and for the prices it a best buy.

Edited by George Methvin, 26 August 2020 - 04:01 PM.

• Jim Davenport, jcj380, clusterbuster and 1 other like this

#12 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas 29.779 -95.603 (approx)

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:13 PM

I bet his subscribers grow as folks here on CN realize that he seems to be adding more astro  content to his YouTube channel. 

Yep, I subscribed after watching the video. waytogo.gif

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• 25585 likes this

#13 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 26 August 2020 - 02:39 PM

I have a ST120 just like this.

It really is a great value. It's not the best planetary telescope (CA, plus it desperately needs a microfocuser at that speed) but as far as a cheap widefield scope for cluster busting and sweeping around it's hard to beat for the price.

I got mine as a replacement for my Astroscan as a dedicated wide field scope and it pretty much destroys the Astroscan in every way except portability.

Also, the optics on mine seem to be pretty decent. It can go up to 250x or more with the better focuser I added. The CA hurts on planets but it's actually not bad on double stars.
  • Sarkikos, Terra Nova, BFaucett and 2 others like this

#14 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

Posted 26 August 2020 - 06:37 PM

Ed’s website has been around for a very long time, and it is a gold mine of information about different scopes, both lower end and high end.  He writes very well and his reviews are also a lot of fun to read.  Pretty cool that he’s starting to post reviews on Youtube.  

I agree wholeheartedly with his review of the 120 ST.  It’s a great bargain and you really do get a lot of scope for the money.  I have a few apos but still have a lot of fun with this scope.  You learn to overlook the CA and FC and just enjoy the nice wide views.  

• BRCoz, SteveV, REC and 5 others like this

#15 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----

Posted 26 August 2020 - 07:39 PM

For less than the cost difference between the ST120 and the apochromatic equivalent, you can just get some larger reflector/SCT as well and use that instead when you want to look at planets. lol.gif

Edited by Mitrovarr, 26 August 2020 - 07:40 PM.

• 25585 and mrsjeff like this

#16 Jetfuel

Jetfuel

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

Posted 26 August 2020 - 10:47 PM

I have the Skywatcher version and love it as well.  Great review.  It always seems that this little scope gets its annual appreciation....just like a birthday LOL.  I have mine on an EQ3 and I am seriously considering a planet scope to pair with it.  Roughly a 127 or 150 mak.  The jury is still out.

• aeajr, clusterbuster and 25585 like this

#17 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:43 AM

I didn't know that Ed had a youtube channel.  Thanks.

#18 LDW47

LDW47

Aurora

• Loc: North Bay,Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:05 PM

Very good review I have the Orion 120mm st and just love the scope it does have some false color but the scope is very sharp I must of got lucky and got one with very good optics I have no problem on good nights using a 4mm eyepiece and getting sharp views of the moon plus nice details on Saturn and Jupiter. A lot of folks under estimate this scope saying it a one trick pony but I don't agree.  I started using a No #8 yellow filter combined with a skyglow filter on this scope and this has got rid of most if not all the false color plus the skyglow filter seems to get rid of most of the yellow from the No #8 filter for a very nice natural life like view. This is one scope that will stay with me its just a fun scope to use and for the prices it a best buy.

I am sorry that I sold my SW version of that scope but I got a great slightly larger scope in return !

#19 George Methvin

George Methvin

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:35 PM

Well I use the Orion 120mm f5 as my rich field scope and my Orion 127mm mak as my planetary scope the two scope compliment each other nicely.

• Jetfuel, BFaucett, aeajr and 1 other like this

#20 peleuba

peleuba

Vanguard

• Loc: North of Baltimore, MD

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:28 PM

Cool review:

I really enjoy Ed Ting.  I have met him twice, seen him speak, and one of my telescopes that I restored is shown on his website and he wrote about it.  To this end, I am an Ed Ting fan.

But, I don't take his "review" as an actual equipment review.  Its more akin to an unboxing, first impression, quick-take sort of thing.  To be a review, it would have to have some type of optical testing taking place.  The current astronomy magazines like Sky/Tel, Astronomy and Astronomy Technology Today are a joke when it comes to equipment reviews.  These reviews need to have some teeth in them whereby a suite of optical bench tests is performed on the telescopes under "review" and theses tests must be performed by competent operators.  From my standpoint, all the reviews you see in print and much of what you see online are done by folks who can't identify various aberrations and there affects.  So, really how beneficial is such a review?.  As BillP would say, it amounts to just marketing - and he is right.

Regarding this telescope - it appears to be able to provide terrific low power widefield views and can take acceptable images.  And, perhaps even good ones when narrowband filters are used.

Edited by peleuba, 27 August 2020 - 07:18 PM.

• Jeff B, Starman81, Tyson M and 3 others like this

#21 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:46 PM

For less than the cost difference between the ST120 and the apochromatic equivalent, you can just get some larger reflector/SCT as well and use that instead when you want to look at planets. lol.gif

Well, this time it took 15 posts before the usual "For less money you can get a newtonian or SCT.... " posting showed up in a refractor forum thread that had nothing to do with those other scope designs.

• tony_spina, peleuba, Jetfuel and 2 others like this

#22 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 27 August 2020 - 04:55 PM

I really enjoy Ed Ting.  I have met him twice, seen him speak, and one of my telescopes that I restored is shown on his website and he wrote about it.  To this end, I am an Ed Ting fan.

But, I don't take his "review" as an actual equipment review.  Its more akin to an unboxing, first impression, quick-take sort of thing.  To be a review, it would have to have some type of optical testing taking place.  The current astronomy magazines like Sky/Tel, Astronomy and Astronomy Technology Today are a joke when it comes to equipment reviews.  These reviews need to have some teeth in them whereby a suite of optical bench tests is performed on the telescopes under review by and they must be performed by competent operators.  From my standpoint, all the reviews you see in print and much of what you see online are done by folks who can't identify various aberrations and there affects.  

Regarding this telescope - it appears to be able to provide terrific low power widefield views and can take acceptable images.  And, perhaps even good ones when narrowband filters are used.

Well said Paul.  

I too enjoy his "reviews" and look forward to them.  But I like data too 

Now one thing does always bother me when I see or hear it used, especially in the context of achromats.  It's the term "false color".   The color is not "false", it's actually very real, but, for the most part in achromats, unfocused.  

Jeff

• peleuba and PatrickVt like this

#23 Jetfuel

Jetfuel

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, Alberta

Posted 27 August 2020 - 05:36 PM

In his video, Ed explains his view of Jupiter.  I was out with it a couple evenings ago and I had a terrific view of Jupiter (@ 14° above the horizon).  I stopped the scope to f10 and with an ES6.7mm.  Saturn showed a few moons even with the 17.5 Morpheus.

• aeajr likes this

#24 daquad

daquad

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 August 2020 - 06:54 PM

But, I don't take his "review" as an actual equipment review.  Its more akin to an unboxing, first impression, quick-take sort of thing.  To be a review, it would have to have some type of optical testing taking place.  The current astronomy magazines like Sky/Tel, Astronomy and Astronomy Technology Today are a joke when it comes to equipment reviews.  These reviews need to have some teeth in them whereby a suite of optical bench tests is performed on the telescopes under review by and they must be performed by competent operators.  From my standpoint, all the reviews you see in print and much of what you see online are done by folks who can't identify various aberrations and there affects.  

Of course it is.  He doesn't show a DPAC or interferometer test of the objective, but he does compare the results to that of a premium telescope.  He is not trying to evaluate the precision of the objective, but rather he is showing the results a beginner can expect for a modest investment. 

He fully admits that the quality of the image is not as good as that of the premium scope, and shows with photographic data what one can expect relative to the premium scope.

It is actually an excellent review, because it doesn't depend solely on his impression, but gives the reader actual data in the form of AP photos, data that can help a buyer make an informed decision about the scope. 

Dom Q.

• zjc26138, turtle86, mwedel and 11 others like this

#25 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Gemini

• -----

Posted 27 August 2020 - 07:20 PM

Well, this time it took 15 posts before the usual "For less money you can get a newtonian or SCT.... " posting showed up in a refractor forum thread that had nothing to do with those other scope designs.

That's not exactly what I meant, but I was unclear. What I said sounded more negative than it was intended.

I have a ST120 and I like it a lot. It is a very inexpensive telescope for what it is, but it doesn't do everything well. My point was that, instead of trying to go up to a premium apo to try to cover for those weaknesses (and if you try to get that apo in F/5, it will be a lot of money), you can just get something else specifically to handle them, because the ST120 is so cheap it leaves you loads of money to buy a second scope. The ST120 is cheaper than the majority of eyepieces I use in it, and the diagonal I use in it.

• Jeff B, sn1993j, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics