•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Image train for Quark eyepiece

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 je2000

je2000

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:50 AM

Should I use an extension tube instead of the diagonal for hooking my ASI1600 to the Quark? I think the whole train sticking out may introduce some sag but I'm wondering about the impact the diagonal will have on the sensor as well.

Normally the focal reducer screws into the OTA and everything else along with it. There is no sag and the setup is strong. With the extension tube compression ring clamped into the OTA, the Quark and then the ASI1600, seems there's a lot of torque there as opposed to going almost straight up immediately via the diagonal. I can easily thread the UV/IR 2" filter in the extension tube so safety aspect is addressed.

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:05 PM

I think whichever way you are comfortable with doing it. Remember that with the diagonal the quark and camera will be in the sun and may over heat. Also you have another surface to keep clean. Straight through will introduce some sag. I personally use a threaded extension tube on the quark and a tilt adapter to minimize Newton rings.
  • je2000 likes this

#3 je2000

je2000

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:51 PM

I've got the tilt adapter and a threaded tube and a removable element from my Barlow. I suppose what I was getting at will the diagonal impact image quality at all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics