•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Do Yourself a Favor - Start with a Quality Mount

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#201 Mrcloc

Mrcloc

Vendor - SvBony Eyepieces

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:20 AM

Real world mount comparisons and results:
https://www.youtube....h?v=JRoFUj0cNt8

#202 Bobo666

Bobo666

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.W. Australia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:04 AM

This is the thing - start with a quality mount, not spend more on a mount. Anyway, if an EQ6 isn't satisfactory, I reckon the hobby isn't for you.

The hobby is not right for someone if an eq6 isn't satisfactory??? What on earth does that mean? That makes no sense.

#203 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

Surprised this circular discussion is still going...

• Mrcloc likes this

#204 Mrcloc

Mrcloc

Vendor - SvBony Eyepieces

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Pretoria, South Africa

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:34 AM

Yes, if you give up because you have a mount that you can't use properly, you should do another hobby.

#205 Hobby Astronomer

Hobby Astronomer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Texas

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:33 PM

Well a lot of information and insight has been shared on this thread. Now it is up to the readers to interpret the posts and opinions. It has been a great discussion and I have benefited from this as a participant.

Clear Skies Tonight!!!! Time to power everything up and get ready for dark.

Hope everyone here enjoys their evening and possibly some time under the stars.

HA

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-08 at 7.44.45 PM.jpeg

Edited by Hobby Astronomer, 08 April 2021 - 07:50 PM.

• dmdouglass and SimonIRE like this

#206 MikeCrapo

MikeCrapo

Explorer 1

Posted 09 April 2021 - 06:27 PM

My 2 cents is to just buy what you can afford and justify for yourself, not anyone else.

Then enjoy what you have.

As far as the so called premium mounts, I see people having problems with them just like people say the China mounts do. It just seems to be less.  My guess is because there are a lot less of those high price mounts being sold than the lower price Chinese mounts. If you wanted to do a real comparison, you would need to know the percentage of one brand of mount vs the percentage of another mount that have problems. That number would be very hard to come up with.

Not knocking high priced mount, they may be nice, but I don’t have problems with my lower price Chinese version, so I can not see a reason to spend such a price on one.

It is best to get what you can afford and/or justify and go out and enjoy it.

Mike

#207 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:36 AM

If you want to do AP, the mount is extremely important. But that does not mean that you can not do on the „cheap“. My AZ-GTI tracks and guides with a 60mm refractor with cooled camera on a photo tripod. If you use a DSLR instead of the cooled ASI you can be <1k€ for the whole setup. Of course I need to toss more subs than with the Heq-5. But then, the 8k€ Mesu does not perform better or more reliably than the Heq-5. It does not reach the specified weight limit by far nor is the tracking accuracy better. Maybe one is a lemon and the other exceptional, but it goes to show that it is not mainly about the money. Without the experiences with the Heq-5 and G11 I would not have gotten suitable performance from the AZ-GTI and it would have frustrated me. So, the advice to start with a decent mount is good, I think. But it is not easy to determine which that is. A generous return policy is your friend. Optics are not as important.

From my limited visual experience, I think the advertised load capacities of most mounts are appropriate, and that, all in all, it is not nearly as critical as for AP. Undermounting still is not a good idea, but if your scope is not too big, a photo tripod with a decent ballhead will work. I feel that optics and ergonomy of the setup are very decisive factors here. People tend to spend more on the optics than on the mount here.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics