•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Removing head from Bogen

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 08:31 PM

Post deleted by tomhole

#2 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:26 PM

I think there is a set screw that locks the head in place. Look on the underside of the plate (platform) on which the head is attached.

#3 tomhole

tomhole

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

Ken,

I got it off. No way to mount the p-mount and allow it to pivot, so I put the head back on.

Great night here in MD. I was able to spy the Alpine Valley on Luna with the 16x70's. Then I tried for the rille in it with the Starmaster but the lighting angle was not favorable. Sure is purty, though.

Tom

#4 BarrySimon615

BarrySimon615

Pa Bear

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:56 PM

Tom wrote - "I got it off. No way to mount the p-mount and allow it to pivot, so I put the head back on."

I came in late on this discussion so I am partially guessing but it sounds like you found you could not mount a parallelogram mount on the Bogen head because of a clearance issue. If so, why not insert an extension between the top of the tripod and the parallelogram mount? Aluminum bar stock of various lengths tapped 3/8-16 should allow you to do this.

See the photo of my setup with a 10" section of 2.5" diameter solid aluminum bar between a Davis & Sanford tripod and a Bogen 516 pan head. It works great giving me clearance for Miyauchi binoculars and the pan head handles.

Barry Simon

Attached Thumbnails

• 99507-P4094516.JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics