•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Testing my new solution for light pollution

astrophotography LP
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

So, ahead of schedule, our fence topper was installed today.

I use to have this ivy stuff growing on the wall. But it was a rat haven. And a maintenance problem.

After some major yard remodeling, we decided to remove it from our side of the block wall.

The other side of the wall is the concrete drainage ditch from up the canyon.

But across that ditch is Condoland. And Condoland is a source of light pollution.

They are complete jerks and when the code enforcement makes them fix their poorly installed lighting, they retaliate by doing something else.

So we blocked their un-neighborly lights from shining in our home. And them looking in our house.

Before:

Condoland Light Pollution before

And after:

Condoland Solution W

I can't wait to test it tonight.

• csa/montana, Jim Waters, BFaucett and 7 others like this

#2 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:37 PM

Hope it works M8

Neighbours can be a problem

We should all contact local government

Light pollution is no different to sound pollution

• Jim Waters, SonnyE and endless-sky like this

#3 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:20 PM

I agree with you Avgvstvs, but not every government entity sees it our way.  Like, at all.  Heck, I live in a condo complex and they ENCOURAGE us to all have our lights on all night.  And to have every square inch of the complex well lit "for security purposes".  I have spoken to some of my neighbors to let them know about my hobby, but they have all gulped down the Kool-Aid and look at me like I am nuts to want the lights more controlled.

ETA:  my options are to move, take my gear mobile, or live with bad skies.  Unless there is a sea change in attitude on this issue, I don't have the option of getting my way, even only sometimes.  It's (I think) 135 to 1.

Edited by Sleep Deprived, 27 August 2020 - 10:28 PM.

• Sarkikos and SonnyE like this

#4 BrooksObs

BrooksObs

Gemini

Posted 28 August 2020 - 10:47 AM

I would point out once again in this, just as I have in other light pollution threads, that blocking a neighbor's lights is only blocking locale glare from the observer's direct vision. It does not impact actual light pollution in any way. Folks need to clearly differentiate between simple glare abatement and methods that will help to reduce actual light pollution in their sky in writing their posts.

BrooksObs 

• SonnyE likes this

#5 DSOGabe

DSOGabe

Apollo

• Loc: El Paso, TX

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:02 AM

"But across that ditch is Condoland. And Condoland is a source of light pollution.

They are complete jerks and when the code enforcement makes them fix their poorly installed lighting, they retaliate by doing something else."

Considering how **** retentive condo associations and HOAs are about having residents follow THEIR rules, it interesting to see how they can openly ignore municipal regulations! 

I'd say that it would be time to contact the city's legal department and let them know about that, especially if the other things to they do to retaliate also violate city regulations.

• SonnyE likes this

#6 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Viking 1

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 28 August 2020 - 11:37 AM

Considering how **** retentive condo associations and HOAs are about having residents follow THEIR rules, it interesting to see how they can openly ignore municipal regulations! 

I'd say that it would be time to contact the city's legal department and let them know about that, especially if the other things to they do to retaliate also violate city regulations.

I speak from actual experience:  calling the draconian rule of condo associations "**** retentive" is putting it mildly.  All it takes is one rabid dog of a board member to 'infect' the others.  These people are often A-Type personalities that, ironically, have nothing better to do (empty-nesters, retired) than to devote full energy to running 'their' condo ****'n (ETA: oops - forgot a common abbreviation for 'association' is a no no)  'their' way.  They can impose fines for minor offenses, and it will hold up in court due to the paperwork signed upon moving in.  Refuse to sign the ppwk?  Can't move in.  Don't blame the homeowners, blame their board.  Condo boards tend to go wanting for members - most people don't want to (or are equipped to) be on a condo board - I live in a condo community with 135 units, and a condo board with 7 slots - there are often empty slots.  Many residents work and have families, so they don't want to devote more time to something else.  **IF** (a big 'if') the condo ****'n's rules/regs clash with local/state regs, you might get traction.  Generally, condo boards are not lawyers - they tend to do what they want without considering other jurisdictional regs, only to back off after being called on it.

Edited by Sleep Deprived, 28 August 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• BFaucett, SonnyE and DSOGabe like this

#7 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

I would point out once again in this, just as I have in other light pollution threads, that blocking a neighbor's lights is only blocking locale glare from the observer's direct vision. It does not impact actual light pollution in any way. Folks need to clearly differentiate between simple glare abatement and methods that will help to reduce actual light pollution in their sky in writing their posts.

BrooksObs 

Oh, absolutely, BrooksObs.

I fully understand I was only creating a "shadow" to hide it. But it does help my night vision. Which really, is a moot point because I am using a computer screen to operate and collect images. So what night vision? confused1.gif lol.gif

Last night, typical for most evenings, a car pulled up in that common driveway aimed directly at our home and as often does left the car running and the headlights on.

Why is that necessary? To illegally park for a few minutes, and rudely shine their headlights into my home?

(Actually, typical traffic for a drug dealers location.)

But ultimately, I did enjoy being in "my little shadow" again.

If I had to travel up the canyon every night I wanted to do imaging of Nebula, I would very quickly find another interest. Or become a TV Blob like my wife.

Even though a friend and I did find a most excellent site high on a ridge in the nearby National Forest.

Packing up everything, and setting up, tearing down, and driving back home is a bit much for this old fart.

So I approach my Light Pollution Problem as yet another challenge to my choice of dabbling in Astrophotography.

My next step might be one of the "New, and Improved" filters that have come out since my Baader Moon and Skyglow (Neodymium) filter I use all the time.

I do wish they would come out with Airplane and Satellite Filters. If anyone hears of any, Please PM me! smile.gif  

• BFaucett likes this

#8 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 12:44 PM

Hope it works M8

Neighbours can be a problem

We should all contact local government

Light pollution is no different to sound pollution

I agree, Avgvstvs. (How do you pronounce your screen name, Mate?)

But reality is, we are a very small and very insignificant part of the clamor.

They see us a creatures of the dark, staring into space, with all manor of things they will never understand.

I have used my Cities Ordnance Enforcement to get some of Condolands ridiculous lighting installations changed.

Twice now, through persistence and perseverance, I have championed for myself and my neighbors to force them to adjust their lighting, or to stop using some entirely.

Always, they seem to retaliate by doing some other thing, like the overly bright LED lighting they have installed into their light fixtures on their buildings.

I'm still interested in other filters. But the wall topper, as they call it, does more than block their ridiculous lights. It blocks their envious staring.

Edited by SonnyE, 28 August 2020 - 12:51 PM.

• BFaucett likes this

#9 SonnyE

SonnyE

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 August 2020 - 03:12 PM

I speak from actual experience:  calling the draconian rule of condo associations "**** retentive" is putting it mildly.  All it takes is one rabid dog of a board member to 'infect' the others.  These people are often A-Type personalities that, ironically, have nothing better to do (empty-nesters, retired) than to devote full energy to running 'their' condo ****'n (ETA: oops - forgot a common abbreviation for 'association' is a no no)  'their' way.  They can impose fines for minor offenses, and it will hold up in court due to the paperwork signed upon moving in.  Refuse to sign the ppwk?  Can't move in.  Don't blame the homeowners, blame their board.  Condo boards tend to go wanting for members - most people don't want to (or are equipped to) be on a condo board - I live in a condo community with 135 units, and a condo board with 7 slots - there are often empty slots.  Many residents work and have families, so they don't want to devote more time to something else.  **IF** (a big 'if') the condo ****'n's rules/regs clash with local/state regs, you might get traction.  Generally, condo boards are not lawyers - they tend to do what they want without considering other jurisdictional regs, only to back off after being called on it.

I agree, until they get the regs shoved down their throats.

And I'm that guy to do it. wink.gif

"But across that ditch is Condoland. And Condoland is a source of light pollution.

They are complete jerks and when the code enforcement makes them fix their poorly installed lighting, they retaliate by doing something else."

I may approach Elisa again with their infringement. But I'm not sure it violates anything, like the two other times where actual spotlights were aimed across at our homes.

Elisa (pronounced Lisa) sites the City ordinance about area lighting spilling onto neighboring properties.

One great example of an entity working to be a good neighbor is our power company. They petitioned for everybody to pay $83.xx in property taxes, to upgrade the streetlights. It was resoundingly refused by the citizens.

Later, they went ahead anyway because it reduces system load. But they put directed lighting, that seems to be a lot better than the HPS (high pressure sodium, Orangy-yellow) they replace.

I noticed a reduction of glare in my Westerly direction immediately, where there is a streetlight at the end of my driveway.

So there are ways to compromise. But not when dealing with old biddies who want to run everybody else's business.

• John Fitzgerald and BFaucett like this

#10 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 28 August 2020 - 04:08 PM

Folks let's tone down the descriptions used here; remember CN calls for everyone to be respectful to everyone else.

#11 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 31 August 2020 - 06:46 AM

BrooksObs 

Direct glare from nearby sources is a form of light pollution.  Light pollution isn't just what's in the sky.  It's also what shines into your eyes directly from nearby sources.  

Neighborhood glare from ambient light severely diminishes dark adaptation.  Blocking or otherwise avoiding direct glare is something that can greatly improve observation most anywhere.  

Components of light pollution include:

Glare – excessive brightness that causes visual discomfort
Skyglow – brightening of the night sky over inhabited areas
Light trespass – light falling where it is not intended or needed
Clutter – bright, confusing and excessive groupings of light sources

International Dark-Sky Association

https://www.darksky....ight-pollution/

Mike

Edited by Sarkikos, 31 August 2020 - 06:51 AM.

• BFaucett and SonnyE like this

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 31 August 2020 - 07:02 AM

Last night, typical for most evenings, a car pulled up in that common driveway aimed directly at our home and as often does left the car running and the headlights on.

Why is that necessary? To illegally park for a few minutes, and rudely shine their headlights into my home?

(Actually, typical traffic for a drug dealers location.)

But ultimately, I did enjoy being in "my little shadow" again.

Many cars now cannot have their headlights turned off while the engine is running.  Luckily, I was able to turn this feature off in the settings of my Subaru Forester.  But I still have to cover up the lights in the sideview mirrors.  Old binoculars bags are good for this.

I've been told that at least in California, the law mandates that all vehicles must be set up so their headlights are on while the engine is running.  This would ruin trips to dark sites for me.  I like to take breaks in the car to listen to the radio and warm up.  In cold weather, I couldn't bear being out in the cold all night without a break.

Mike

• SonnyE likes this

#13 sparks

sparks

Sputnik

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:28 PM

Really impressive. Let us know how it works.

Bob

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, LP

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics