•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tele Vue Renaissance #1778

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#26 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Vendor (Ceravolo Optical Systems)

• topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 05:35 AM

BlakStar I'm very happy with your old scope!

Taking it apart to buff it up makes one truly bond with the instrument!

When it's not under the stars it looks great in the living room.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Ceravolo, 08 September 2020 - 05:36 AM.

• B l a k S t a r likes this

#27 Renaissance1

Renaissance1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

Pier w:lens holder.jpeg

I've has mine since Halley's Comet.

• Terra Nova, walter a, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#28 Peter Ceravolo

Peter Ceravolo

Vendor (Ceravolo Optical Systems)

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:22 PM

I like your "I don't need no star diagonal" set up.

What's been your experience with the tube finish over the years? I was curious how the brass fared with time so I searched the web for samples, here is one that is  a little worse for patina than the instrument I just acquired:

https://www.artsy.ne...sance-telescope

patina.JPG

• Terra Nova and 25585 like this

#29 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:44 AM

I’ve had mine now for about 1-1/2 years. I keep it indoors displayed on its mount in the living room corner. Eventually (6 months) the bright mirror finish becomes a little dulled and I simply wax the tube with regular carnuba paste wax and an old cotton T-shirt and it comes right back. Takes like 5 minutes. If it requires more then I’ll break out the Flitz polish and cotton T-shirt. I think the trick is not to let it become so tarnished that it takes a lot of work to bring it back. Also a little polish goes a long way. Apply a just a dab to the cloth, then wipe the scope down to avoid it running and caking under the clamp and cells, which turns white and looks bad when it dries. It really has not been a lot of upkeep at all. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 9582537E-8F8C-472C-8C22-4877111322BA.jpeg

• Terra Nova, Peter Ceravolo and 25585 like this

#30 tim53

tim53

Hubble

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:34 AM

I’ve had mine now for about 1-1/2 years. I keep it indoors displayed on its mount in the living room corner. Eventually (6 months) the bright mirror finish becomes a little dulled and I simply wax the tube with regular carnuba paste wax and an old cotton T-shirt and it comes right back. Takes like 5 minutes. If it requires more then I’ll break out the Flitz polish and cotton T-shirt. I think the trick is not to let it become so tarnished that it takes a lot of work to bring it back. Also a little polish goes a long way. Apply a just a dab to the cloth, then wipe the scope down to avoid it running and caking under the clamp and cells, which turns white and looks bad when it dries. It really has not been a lot of upkeep at all. 

Back when I used to wash and hand wax my own cars, I learned of a trick to clean off the wax in grooves and under weatherstripping.  Take an old toothbrush to clean out these areas.  I used to use J-Wax "Kit" cleaner wax.  I haven't seen it in decades, so I don't know if it's still available.  It had a weak polish mixed in with the wax, which would probably not be good on modern car finishes.  But it worked great on my 1980 Westfalia.

• Compressorguy and 25585 like this

#31 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

Rich, my spider sense suggests that it would be easier for most to simply buff/polish and wax the tube every few years when the patina gets out of hand. A few hours effort at most.

You are absolutely right, the skills associated with spraying lacquer on brass to preserve the finish is tough to acquire, and then there is the recipe for the lacquer. A member of the ATS has gone through the process, guided by a conservator in Italy - it was a bigly job!

Yes, and it would be a pain if it got partway done and something went awry.

#32 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:43 PM

A few months ago a Tele Vue Renaissance refractor was offered for sale by a fellow Canadian. One could tell from the photos that the brass tube had acquired some nice-looking patina. I recently became enamored with brass, I had acquired and started dissecting, documenting and restoring an antique Cooke refractor. Seeing the add I pondered the notion of modern brass. The current owner mentioned that the finish on the brass tube was not quite ideal, the original owner had tried to polish it and left some residue on the OTA. We made a deal and I had the scope shipped across the country.

The Renaissance brings back memories of very early 1980’s Stellafane. I had some one-on-one observing time with Al Nagler and his MPT and prototype Nagler eyepieces. The wide-rich-field views of the Milky Way were amazing compared the “peep hole” eyepieces I was used to. I have always been impressed with Tele Vue’s ground breaking and high-quality products, so it’s a treat to finally acquire a Tele Vue instrument of that heritage to use with the dozen or more Tele Vue eyepieces I have accumulated over my four and half decades doing astronomy.

Here is the Renaissance mounted on a Losmandy 200 for testing.

attachicon.gifIMG_2600.JPG

As soon as I could, I spent some time with the telescope under the stars on nights of good seeing. Although the collimation was a bit off, I was impressed with the image quality, a clean Airy disc and diffraction rings at 344x. That high power is achieved with a 8mm Radian and 5x Powermate. What struck me the most was the color correction; it was much better than I was expecting. I must admit I am not a refractor aficionado, with talk of the number of crossings etc, but I don’t see much difference in the Renaissance’s faint blue halo when compared to my Stellarvue 110mm f/7 ED’s faint blue halo. There is perhaps a bit more spurious red in the Renaissance image. David Nagler says that the 4” f/5.5 Renaissance has the color correction of a 4” f/8 achromat.

David tells me that the Tele Vue Renaissance #1778 was born April 12, 1993 and was the 5th from the last one made. Upon opening the case I saw that the black anodized cell and end ring had faded from exposure to the sun. The brass patina was blotchier than expected and the polish residue was a lot more obvious than I would like in instrument that I would want to display as much as use. Some might be annoyed - I saw an opportunity - let’s rip the scope apart and see what’s inside while we clean it up!

attachicon.gifTVR1778-1.jpg

attachicon.gifTVR1778-2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_2398.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2526s.JPG

Most to least colour that I've seen in scopes I've owned:  Renaissance, Genesis, Genesis SDF, TeleVue 85, Meade 102ED, AP Traveler, Takahashi FS-102.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics