•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Technical Innovations PD6 Weather Proofing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SiriusFritz

SiriusFritz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a 6’ Super RoboDome from TI and I have had some success sealing the thing up to have it environmentally controlled (ac and dehumidifier), but I’m having some issues with a good solution for the shutter. Florida is an unforgiving place - constant humidity and the bugs are no joke. If you don’t keep them out you could be in for a very nasty and painful surprise. 

For the DSR skirt I ended up using brush weatherstripping in combination with a garage door seal and that has worked pretty well. 

The shutter system design basically makes it incredibly hard to have an environmental seal because of the nesting design. 

Has anyone had any luck sealing up their shutter?

Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails

• D2231ACD-BC7A-44AE-A0BC-63BFDD6F82DD.jpeg

#2 SiriusFritz

SiriusFritz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:49 PM

Anyone have any working shutter weatherproofing solutions? 

#3 outofdark

outofdark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SLC

Posted 02 October 2020 - 08:55 PM

Are you trying to seal from air flow or water?

#4 SiriusFritz

SiriusFritz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:55 PM

Are you trying to seal from air flow or water?

Trying to seal for air flow and bugs. I think what I might have to do is convert it to a roller operated shutter. Attach rollers to where those pulleys are (in addition to them) to slightly lift the shutter from the fiberglass since the current design just drags it across. Then I could use some snap on weatherproofing that would snap onto the fiberglass and provide a rubber seal to the shutter. 

Slide-Co 16210-F Closet Door Roller, Front, 1/4-Inch Offset, 1-Inch Nylon Wheel,(Pack of 2)

https://www.amazon.c...i_LhpEFbBJA5VXS

https://www.amazon.c...ht/dp/B00O8X8HG

#5 cmaier

cmaier

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 11:46 AM

Trying to seal for air flow and bugs. I think what I might have to do is convert it to a roller operated shutter. Attach rollers to where those pulleys are (in addition to them) to slightly lift the shutter from the fiberglass since the current design just drags it across. Then I could use some snap on weatherproofing that would snap onto the fiberglass and provide a rubber seal to the shutter. 

Slide-Co 16210-F Closet Door Roller, Front, 1/4-Inch Offset, 1-Inch Nylon Wheel,(Pack of 2)

https://www.amazon.c...i_LhpEFbBJA5VXS

https://www.amazon.c...ht/dp/B00O8X8HG

The weight of the shutter keeps the gap pretty closed off on my 10' PD.  I've not had a big problem with bugs other than occasional spiders in the dome. Couldn't you use the same brush weatherstripping for the shutter?    BTW, if you add wheels to the shutter, please post up. Love to do the same..

#6 SiriusFritz

SiriusFritz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:10 PM

The weight of the shutter keeps the gap pretty closed off on my 10' PD.  I've not had a big problem with bugs other than occasional spiders in the dome. Couldn't you use the same brush weatherstripping for the shutter?    BTW, if you add wheels to the shutter, please post up. Love to do the same..

Thanks for your experience with the 10’ PD. I have tried a few different brush weatherstripping setups with the shutter but none of them worked too well. The top shutter has a good 1.5” air gap when the shutter is completely closed, but the front shutter is pretty flush and easy to deal with. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics