•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Schiller crater and a flare on Weigel crater

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 doolsduck

doolsduck

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Yuggera Country Australia (Brisbane)

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:45 AM

Schiller crater tonight and a ray from Tycho.  What caught my eye was the bright flare from the wall of Weigel crater I think it is.  Single exposure IphoneSE image nightcap app 5mm eyepiece Orion Intelliscope 14”

Attached Thumbnails

• 333C4051-7969-4787-9062-5962839490D8.jpeg
  • 1C209EBB-E20A-4492-91CC-4F997D7C634C.jpeg

• Kutno, MarkGregory, flt158 and 3 others like this

#2 Jethro7

Jethro7

Apollo

• Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:39 AM

Schiller crater tonight and a ray from Tycho.  What caught my eye was the bright flare from the wall of Weigel crater I think it is.  Single exposure IphoneSE image nightcap app 5mm eyepiece Orion Intelliscope 14”

Hello Thank you for sharing,

Often I can relate this to how the sunlight hits the edge of the crater. But even the Apollo Astronauts, talked about strange lights that appeared to look like a beam of light shooting up from the surface. If you do alot of Lunar viewing you do see things.I believe, I have witnessed  a meteor impact once no way substantiate that. It appeared as a small blip of light for a second. Always somthing interesting. 

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• MarkGregory, flt158 and doolsduck like this

#3 doolsduck

doolsduck

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Yuggera Country Australia (Brisbane)

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:27 PM

Hello Thank you for sharing,

Often I can relate this to how the sunlight hits the edge of the crater. But even the Apollo Astronauts, talked about strange lights that appeared to look like a beam of light shooting up from the surface. If you do alot of Lunar viewing you do see things.I believe, I have witnessed  a meteor impact once no way substantiate that. It appeared as a small blip of light for a second. Always somthing interesting. 

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Thanks Jethro.  A meteor impact, that would be something to see!  I'm really hoping to catch a TLP one day.  There must be quite a bit of glassy reflective surfaces up there and I imagine that there might be some of it that isn't covered in dust, like steeply sloping crater walls... cheers

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics