•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SPIE 2020 lecture on classic telescopes and related stuff

classic observatory optics refractor solar outreach
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JWBriggs

JWBriggs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Magdalena, New Mexico

Posted 30 August 2020 - 11:51 AM

Hi Folks--

I had the privilege of contributing a presentation for a 2020 SPIE conference a few days ago.  SPIE is the Society for Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers.  Some of my friends there have been enthusiastic about our informal museum in Magdalena, New Mexico, the Astronomical Lyceum.  They asked me to present in a plenary session, with encouragement to explain about the Lyceum's collection, and specifically, to highlight how the history of telescope making, including amateur telescope making, has connected to a lot of technical and scientific progress over the years.  The presentation has been well received, and I hope readers here will also like it.  It's 61 minutes long and is linked here.  If you like telescopes and observatories, especially classic ones, this is for you!:

https://vimeo.com/451287860/e8c9ac6db3

--John W. Briggs,

FOAH Observatory and 

The Astronomical Lyceum

Magdalena, New Mexico

• astro140, Astrojensen, steve t and 6 others like this

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 30 August 2020 - 12:45 PM

Way to go, John!

Your fellow Camp Uraniborg alum,

Jim

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

waytogo.gif Thanks for sharing this.

It must be quite a big building to house so many large instruments. 

Do you know the approximate size of it?

I sure hope to visit one day.

#4 Stew44

Stew44

Apollo

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:34 PM

John,

Quite a wonderful walk through the museum and then great reminiscing on historical figures from Clark to Hale and many others.  You've seen a lot of and in an hour covered a lot of ground.  Hope to visit someday.

#5 JWBriggs

JWBriggs

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Magdalena, New Mexico

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:16 PM

I'm encouraged to make more "videos" like this before long, because there's a lot to describe in the Lyceum, and the collection keeps growing.  The part we now call the Astronomical Lyceum is about 7,500 square feet, although that's only about a third of the whole former school compound, much of which is now devoted to related interests.  The Lyceum is the informal headquarters of the Magdalena Astronomical Society and has been the site of lectures for the annual Enchanted Skies Star Party.  With COVID this year, the ESSP will be a much restrained event and only for local MAS members.  But we'll surely pick it up again in future years.   Cheers!    --JWB.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, observatory, optics, refractor, solar, outreach

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics