•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My "Driveway Observatory"....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#26 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 08 October 2020 - 01:02 PM

There is an astronomy tent on the market now. Here

I like that, I could camp in that at my club's dark site :)

#27 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 08 October 2020 - 02:24 PM

There is an astronomy tent on the market now.  Here

I like that, I could camp in that at my club's dark site smile.gif

I'm not convinced that this would work, at all. I think it's far too small, and very poorly designed.

The floor of the tent may be eight-feet in diameter... but the opening at the top of the tent is only 6.5-feet in diameter... which doesn't seem like nearly enough room to easily maneuver around a scope setup, without constantly bumping into it. Try drawing a 6.5-foot circle around your setup, and see for yourself.

But what seems even more limiting, is that the tent is only five feet in height... which in my case, is only five inches higher than the saddle on my CEM25P... and which means that nearly my entire scope would still be exposed to surrounding lights, and to wind. Frankly, I'm having a tough time picturing a setup that wouldn't be higher than the tent's opening. And I'm only 5'9" tall... but that means that my entire head would also be above the top of the tent.

Also... why does it have a floor? Placing your setup on the cloth floor of a tent and then moving around inside it, is definitely going to cause your setup to move. Seems like it's been designed to be both a light-shield and wind-break... and something you can sleep in. Why?

Instead of being a poorly-designed, "dual-purpose" dome-shaped affair...if it were a floor-less, eight-foot-diameter cylinder, and if it were maybe six-and-a-half feet high... it might be worth considering.

shrug.gif

#28 PXR-5

PXR-5

ISS

• Loc: Lower Earth Orbit

Posted 10 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

I'm not convinced that this would work, at all. I think it's far too small, and very poorly designed.

The floor of the tent may be eight-feet in diameter... but the opening at the top of the tent is only 6.5-feet in diameter... which doesn't seem like nearly enough room to easily maneuver around a scope setup, without constantly bumping into it. Try drawing a 6.5-foot circle around your setup, and see for yourself.

But what seems even more limiting, is that the tent is only five feet in height... which in my case, is only five inches higher than the saddle on my CEM25P... and which means that nearly my entire scope would still be exposed to surrounding lights, and to wind. Frankly, I'm having a tough time picturing a setup that wouldn't be higher than the tent's opening. And I'm only 5'9" tall... but that means that my entire head would also be above the top of the tent.

Also... why does it have a floor? Placing your setup on the cloth floor of a tent and then moving around inside it, is definitely going to cause your setup to move. Seems like it's been designed to be both a light-shield and wind-break... and something you can sleep in. Why?

Instead of being a poorly-designed, "dual-purpose" dome-shaped affair...if it were a floor-less, eight-foot-diameter cylinder, and if it were maybe six-and-a-half feet high... it might be worth considering.

shrug.gif

Let's form our own company and make them :)

You can be CEO, or chief engineer :)

#29 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 October 2020 - 04:50 PM

lol.gif   lol.gif   lol.gif

#30 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Minnesota North Suburbs of Minneapolis

Posted 02 November 2020 - 11:30 AM

I have tried a "tent" approach and it suffer from what B26354. A rugged structure to keep wind an light out with no floor so maybe a PVC/conduit/tarp approach of some type might work if a bit more sealed than some. Thanks for sharing the ideas and the engineering graphics...

I had thought to perhaps look at ice fishing shelter to see if the can work as these often do not have floors per sea of the floor can be modified/removed.

Shawn

• B 26354 likes this

#31 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:07 PM

Yeah... the biggest problem with a structure like mine, because of its nearly-opaque screening material, is wind. As I explained in the first post, wind is thankfully not a specific problem for me... but using something like it in windy conditions would definitely require the use of some very strong anchor-chords.

Turns out that there is a very well-made, dome-shaped alternative to the ClearView Observing tent, as pointed out in the last few posts in this thread:

https://www.cloudyni...k-test-results/

...but it's quite a bit more expensive, and ships from Australia, so postage to the US would be costly as well. And like the ClearView, it too has a non-removable floor, which I still think is a disadvantage. Its base is also about twelve feet in diameter... so I would imagine that it pretty much requires a two-person setup.

shrug.gif

Edited by B 26354, 02 November 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#32 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:24 PM

https://smile.amazon...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

This would not work but I got a chuckle out of it when doing an Amazon "smile" search...

VO

• B 26354 likes this

#33 ValhallaObserver

ValhallaObserver

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 November 2020 - 12:18 PM

As we have been discussing I found this now available in December of 2020.

https://telescopes.n...AiABEgIMX_D_BwE

They may have consulted you, B26354, because it has no floor, walls are 5 ft. and a 6ft windbreak. It is quite large, but there are advantages to that other than setup. Even so I do no think the setup is that bad. It is not inexpensive compared to the home brewed ideas, but not unreasonable given at least it seems to answer the mail on some questions. I di not look at the pivot point engineering graphic to see how that would work with various scopes & heights. too much idea/thing/work too little time!

Shawn 

#34 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 November 2020 - 02:35 PM

Not bad, as an idea to build upon... but there's major room for improvement.

For one thing... the "observatory" section's square footage is way too small. Use some chord, or some strips of wood, to place a five-foot square on the ground (or your deck, or driveway, or...). Set up your observing or AP rig in the middle of that square, and try moving around within it without bumping into the rig. If you find it difficult do that in the daytime... imagine trying it at night.  shocked.gif

For a "portable" observatory, I would want a square that's 7'x7', minimum. 8'x8' would be ideal. Small enough to put up anywhere, but roomy enough to hold one scope-setup and an observing chair... and not worry too much about knocking over your entire setup.

And the "observatory" section of this ES tent still isn't really tall enough to effectively block external lights. The two curved "wind- and light-blocking" sections are only six feet tall in the center of each side. Otherwise -- as shown in the picture -- nearly the entire telescope is exposed to both wind and stray light. Were the designers actually expecting that there would never be more than one single external stray-light source... or that wind would only ever come from one direction? For an eight-foot square, I would want all four sides to be at least 6.5 feet tall, all the way around.

And 42-inch-tall doors???? Wow. Good luck with that. Block off one of your home's doorways so its opening is only 42-inches tall (with a five-inch-high lip, at the bottom)... and then try moving your equipment through it, without catching the equipment on the doorway, and without tripping over the lip.

And be sure to have someone take a video of the whole process, so we can all have a good laugh. grin.gif

Finally... why are there two separate "rooms"? What possible advantage can there be to that design? Two cramped-space 5'x5' rooms take up 50 square feet of space. One 7'x7' room takes up 49 square feet, with lots more space in which to safely and conveniently move around.

For my purposes, I think the basic problem with these "tent" designs, is that they are designed to be "tents". To my mind, the whole point of these structures is to provide nothing more than protection from wind and external lights. A "large-enough" and "tall-enough" circular or square structure is all that's needed... with a detachable waterproof roof, so your equipment doesn't get wet, if you're using it while camping.

And if you are using one of these things while camping... bring a real camping tent with you, and sleep in it.

biggrin.png

#35 AstroHorn

AstroHorn

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

Anyone tried a set up like this?  https://www.zoro.com...#specifications  While imaging, thinking I could use it as a command center to keep my laptop dry, break the cold a little and keep the bugs away from the screen.  And when done, simply pick up and put over the telescope and tie down when done if I don't need to break everything down for the evening.  It's 7'x7' by 8' tall.  Any thoughts?

Edited by AstroHorn, 01 December 2020 - 10:42 PM.

#36 craigWA

craigWA

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 12:02 PM

I going to try some of these ideas...my wife is tired of holding up a piece of plywood. smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics