•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

California fires killing astronomy

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 MessyA

MessyA

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

Tucson is looking a bit better, though I miss the red sun in the morning- made me feel like I was inn another solar system :)

New moon last night but it made no difference- couldn't bother setting up the scope just to look at a the very brightest and still hazy objects.

#77 jcj380

jcj380

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:14 PM

I was able to eyeball Chi Cass before sunrise about 40 miles west of Chicago yesterday (Bortle 5).  That was better than I can do at home when it's clear (B7 or 8).  Looks like I was in a notch in the plume.

#78 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:01 PM

There have been breaks in the smoke here and there. Wednesday morning was relatively clear compared to Tuesday morning.  It appears the smoke is being pushed south and west of my region now - should be clear tonight in Ohio and Indiana. The Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arkansas appear to under the smoke-stream now.

https://www.star.nes...COLOR&length=24

Edited by earlyriser, 18 September 2020 - 02:03 PM.

#79 GrafikDihzahyn

GrafikDihzahyn

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Fly-Over State

Posted 22 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

That jet stream though... I think this screenshot was a week or two ago. Weird hazy skies, red sunset, very few stars.. I have plenty to do in the meantime. I'm just using this time sending things off, making adjustments, and about to perform a Hypertune on my mount.

I think we've had more rain here this year than any other time that I remember. Grass is still green, where as it is usually a dead brown by this time of year due to drought.

The biggest thing is just getting a handle on these fires that are upending peoples lives, my hobby can wait. Hopefully the west coast gets some needed rain soon, although now the forest floor is burned away, that will bring landslides... ugh.

Attached Thumbnails

• Resized_Screenshot_20200912-193543_Astrospheric.jpeg

#80 OutragedJW

OutragedJW

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:32 AM

I live in Upstate NY, and over a week ago, we had smoke here from those wildfires out in California. It killed several clear nights (or otherwise would have been clear). There wasn't any stray clouds either, nice and clear, but of course with that nasty film from the smoke. I noticed when the aerosols are higher in general, conditions aren't as good, I am paying attention to that stuff now, via WINDY.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics