•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon and Sky Safari question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SMH77

SMH77

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 01 September 2020 - 05:09 PM

Hi. Very much a beginner here. Had my Zhummel Z130 a couple of months. And tonight was the first chance I have had to look at the moon. Which is Waxing Gibbous here in UK. Which I understand means over 50% brightness, not yet a full moon. I was using the supplied 25mm and 10mm earpieces and the detail was surprisingly good. But very bright. After about 10 mins had to stop as it was too bright for me. My question is should I be using a filter in this phase? I do have a 12.5% filter on the way. I also have a 2 x Barlow lens coming, would I be better off using that on the 10mm or the 25mm? I could stretch to a better quality eyepiece in another month if that is a better option. I also have an loosely related question regarding Sky Safari. Tonight was the first time I have been able to see the moon while also being at home to view it with my telescope. As I work nights. So I thought that would be a good point of reference to locate other planets and stars via their location to the moon according to the Sky Safari compass. The only problem is every time I point the phone at the moon it shows me Mars. Location is on, even took it out of the case because I thought the magnet in it was affecting it. Seems to be about 15 -20 degrees out from where it is telling me the moon is. Are their other apps that people use as a location finder? Any answers appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Kevin Thurman

Kevin Thurman

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 September 2020 - 06:05 PM

Hi. Very much a beginner here. Had my Zhummel Z130 a couple of months. And tonight was the first chance I have had to look at the moon. Which is Waxing Gibbous here in UK. Which I understand means over 50% brightness, not yet a full moon. I was using the supplied 25mm and 10mm earpieces and the detail was surprisingly good. But very bright. After about 10 mins had to stop as it was too bright for me. My question is should I be using a filter in this phase? I do have a 12.5% filter on the way. I also have a 2 x Barlow lens coming, would I be better off using that on the 10mm or the 25mm? I could stretch to a better quality eyepiece in another month if that is a better option. I also have an loosely related question regarding Sky Safari. Tonight was the first time I have been able to see the moon while also being at home to view it with my telescope. As I work nights. So I thought that would be a good point of reference to locate other planets and stars via their location to the moon according to the Sky Safari compass. The only problem is every time I point the phone at the moon it shows me Mars. Location is on, even took it out of the case because I thought the magnet in it was affecting it. Seems to be about 15 -20 degrees out from where it is telling me the moon is. Are their other apps that people use as a location finder? Any answers appreciated. Thanks.

I find the phone apps to be pretty much useless for pointing the right way. They show you where things are relative to other things as all planetarium software would, but in terms of using it to guide you through the sky it's not worth even trying. Just use the positions of objects or constellations you know as reference and find your way to things from there.

#3 Crusty99

Crusty99

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Here is a tip for observing a bright Moon. Turn on a porch light to reduce the moon's brightness. 

Edited by Crusty99, 07 September 2020 - 08:05 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Summerland, BC

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:50 AM

Re: SkySafari. The compass is not all that accurate on cellphones. I have found that SkySafari gets me to within 2 degrees of my target. I am still testing a rudimentary mount for my cell phone. 

#5 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Apollo

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:57 AM

Look at the "cover" for your scope.  I believe it has a 2" cap that is removable.  When viewing the moon, put on the cover, remove just that cap and the moon won't be nearly as bright. 

#6 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:55 AM

Another trick:  if you have a table or second chair beside you, place a white piece of paper on the table. Once in a while view that sheet of paper while shining a white light on it. This will adjust your pupils again to the brighter light including the moon. The bright moon will not be quite so bright anymore. 

#7 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:57 AM

Here is a thread I posted recently regarding “ push to” and SkySafari. 

https://www.cloudyni...er-for-push-to/

#8 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

I guess you have to check your location or press "current location". Or else there's one website named "time and date " ... I'm lazy so you search the website yourself. In that you press the compass icon on the bottom right corner and check whether it's your phone's compass or the sky Safari's fault .

#9 RobertMaples

RobertMaples

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Murfreesboro, TN

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

...So I thought that would be a good point of reference to locate other planets and stars via their location to the moon according to the Sky Safari compass. The only problem is every time I point the phone at the moon it shows me Mars. Location is on, even took it out of the case because I thought the magnet in it was affecting it. Seems to be about 15 -20 degrees out from where it is telling me the moon is...

As others have mentioned, phone compasses are not extremely accurate, but mine's never that far off.  The magnet in the phone case definitely would have affected it.  You also don't want to be standing near any large metal objects or magnetic fields, for example, standing next to a car can affect it.  It also helps to calibrate the phone's compass, which just involves moving it around - some suggest flipping it around all three axis and some suggest kind of waving it around in a figure 8 pattern, you would especially need to do this after taking it out of the magnetic case because the case would have thrown off it's calibration.

#10 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:27 AM

I was also curious about the effects of steel and magnets on my iPhone compass.  Although both will affect my Silva Ranger compass I found no effects on my iPhone 8 compass.  I tested this by walking up to my vehicle and by holding a package of rare earth magnets next to my phone.

Although I rigged up a mount for my iPhone so that I could "push to" using SkySafari I think I will also test target finding using the iPhone compass and an electronic level attached to my scope.  I will use SkySafari for the target co-ordinates.

Now I just have to wait for this imported wildfire smoke to clear.

#11 RocketScientist

RocketScientist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:26 PM

I use an adjustable polarizing filter for Moon viewing. You can rotate the cross-polarized elements to dim the Moon as much or as little as you want.

It's necessary in a 10"!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics