•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NexStar Evolution

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

I understand.

What I mean is that if there is any photograph to compare the normal view of the 8 "or the 9.25"

#27 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:41 PM

Visually, with a wide field low power eyepiece (like a 40mm with 73 degree effective FOV) the central core stands out as a grey oval, and spiral arms are kind of misty suggestions around it. The FOV is cut off before you get to the farther edges of the galaxy. You can definitely seen it, which is still cool in my book.

• Acaxual likes this

#28 lampcord

lampcord

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:14 AM

I traded in a 10” dob for the Evolution 8 due to portability issues and, for me, it is a great fit. Last night I saw the Andromeda and Whirlpool galaxies, four planets, and about a dozen globular clusters from a dark sky site. Andromeda is too big to fit into even a low power eyepiece with this scope, but if you add the Hyperstar for photography it fills the frame nicely. I have not used the 9.25” version so I can’t speak to that but the 8 just seems like a sweet spot for me. This is M31 with a C8 and Hyperstar - still working on post processing to bring out details.

Fantastic image! My Hyperstar arrives tomorrow and M31 is in a great location so that was going to be my first target. It's great that you can get it all in frame, Stellarium shows it only covering about 3/4ths of it so I was thinking I might have to do a montage. 

• Michael Harris and Acaxual like this

#29 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

Fantastic image! My Hyperstar arrives tomorrow and M31 is in a great location so that was going to be my first target. It's great that you can get it all in frame, Stellarium shows it only covering about 3/4ths of it so I was thinking I might have to do a montage. 

Something that Celestron SCTs have going for them is HyperStar. With that and various reducers and magnifiers you can have a good range of f ratios from f/2 to f/20. SCTs have well known issues but they do offer flexibility.

• Acaxual likes this

#30 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:46 PM

Thank you all for all the information it was really useful to make the decision. 

I Order the 9.25" today we see how long it takes to arrived.

Edited by Acaxual, 22 September 2020 - 02:47 PM.

• lampcord likes this

#31 lampcord

lampcord

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:47 PM

Thank you all for all the information it was really useful to make the decision. 

I Order the 9.25" today we see how long it takes to arrived.

Congratulations! Great choice. There will be challenges, but you will love it.

• Acaxual likes this

#32 audioengr

audioengr

Viking 1

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:02 PM

I am getting the Hyperstar and a ASI294 camera soon for my 8" Evolution EdgeHD.  Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula are both nicely framed.  Similar with the 533 camera.  There are only certain cameras supported, but most of the ZWO cameras.   See the Starizona site.   I plan to use flat cables for the power and USB3.0 cables and form them into curves to minimize diffraction.  I understand that this works well.  My dew shield has two slots in it and I may cut smaller slots to hold the two flat cables.

If you don't curve these cables, there will be spikes on the brighter stars.

Edited by audioengr, 23 September 2020 - 06:04 PM.

• Acaxual likes this

#33 PLShutterbug

PLShutterbug

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 06:22 PM

I understand.

What I mean is that if there is any photograph to compare the normal view of the 8 "or the 9.25"

Have you been to astronomy.tools? That site allows you to plug in an astronomical object (i.e.: Andromeda Galaxy), telescope, reducer, eyepiece, or camera, and look at what the object will look like through the combination. Here is a screengrab from the site showing your 9.25, Andromeda, shot on a full-frame camera with and without the .63x reducer. The red rectangle shows the view "native"; the yellow shows the increase in the field of view with the reducer.

Attached Thumbnails

• M31 with Celestron 925.jpg

• Acaxual likes this

#34 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:28 AM

Have you been to astronomy.tools? That site allows you to plug in an astronomical object (i.e.: Andromeda Galaxy), telescope, reducer, eyepiece, or camera, and look at what the object will look like through the combination. Here is a screengrab from the site showing your 9.25, Andromeda, shot on a full-frame camera with and without the .63x reducer. The red rectangle shows the view "native"; the yellow shows the increase in the field of view with the reducer.

This is wonderful, thank you, I will definitely check it

#35 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:44 AM

Hello everyone,
I wanted to give you an update on my telescope. I ordered the Evolution 9.25, and I received it six months later, but the wait was worth it. It is not that heavy, and you could move it by yourself and put it together in a few minutes. I decided to buy a Pelican 1690 case, and it was perfect.

gallery_341356_17265_44488.jpg

gallery_341356_17265_44092.jpg

Edited by Acaxual, 21 July 2021 - 12:45 AM.

• Retired Dave, Tfer and Cfeastside like this

#36 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 21 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

Congrats on the 9.25 evo.  Love mine.  Now youll need to get starsense and setup will be even faster make sure to check collimation.  Mine was off quite a bit when i received mine.  

• Acaxual likes this

#37 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 21 July 2021 - 11:32 AM

EvolutionHyperstar.jpg

This is my EVO 8" loaded with HyperStar, Atik Horizon OSC, StarSense, RACI Finderscope etc. As somebody has already said, this configuration is incredibly versatile. I can embrace f/2 (HyperStar), f/6.3 (focal reducer), f/10 (native) or even f/20 (Barlow).  Because I am under Bortle 6 skies where any visual activity is challenging, my principle pursuit is EAA (using short live stacked subs) and I observe from indoors in glorious 4K UHD using the twin computer remote desktop route (see my CN signature). The EVO Alt-Az is capable of great 'near live' images when using this methodology, and (IMHO) is far easier to set up than a GEM. However, if you want to chase long exposures, I suggest that an Alt-Az isn't wise. The then necessary Evolution wedge adds a massive 16 lbs and (IMHO) is an infernal instrument. I sold my wedge as it took far too long to align and time is a premium commodity under my skies.

Note how I have affixed an Intel NUC mini-computer and MKIT20 focuser controller to plastic ABS boxes that slide onto the leg spreader rod, hence lowering the centre of gravity and creating the potential for incredibly tidy cable management despite my rig being wholly wireless remote controlled.  I can therefore easily carry my scope fully assembled (excluding HyperStar) the ten yards to its location outside of my indoor observatory (converted garage).

I have posted this image and description to reinforce the fact that the 8" Evolution is (arguably) the sweet spot if weight and assembly is a consideration (the 9.25" is vastly heavier). I can be up and running in under ten minutes. This speed is highly desirable in the UK where the gaps between clouds is often short. However, if you want true portability for travel, a small perhaps Williams refractor and an I-Optron (lightweight) mount is probably a better option. 

Edited by Noah4x4, 21 July 2021 - 11:33 AM.

• Acaxual likes this

#38 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:14 AM

Congrats on the 9.25 evo.  Love mine.  Now youll need to get starsense and setup will be even faster make sure to check collimation.  Mine was off quite a bit when i received mine.  

I'm not sure how to do it so I haven't tried.  smile.gif

#39 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:15 AM

attachicon.gifEvolutionHyperstar.jpg

This is my EVO 8" loaded with HyperStar, Atik Horizon OSC, StarSense, RACI Finderscope etc. As somebody has already said, this configuration is incredibly versatile. I can embrace f/2 (HyperStar), f/6.3 (focal reducer), f/10 (native) or even f/20 (Barlow).  Because I am under Bortle 6 skies where any visual activity is challenging, my principle pursuit is EAA (using short live stacked subs) and I observe from indoors in glorious 4K UHD using the twin computer remote desktop route (see my CN signature). The EVO Alt-Az is capable of great 'near live' images when using this methodology, and (IMHO) is far easier to set up than a GEM. However, if you want to chase long exposures, I suggest that an Alt-Az isn't wise. The then necessary Evolution wedge adds a massive 16 lbs and (IMHO) is an infernal instrument. I sold my wedge as it took far too long to align and time is a premium commodity under my skies.

Note how I have affixed an Intel NUC mini-computer and MKIT20 focuser controller to plastic ABS boxes that slide onto the leg spreader rod, hence lowering the centre of gravity and creating the potential for incredibly tidy cable management despite my rig being wholly wireless remote controlled.  I can therefore easily carry my scope fully assembled (excluding HyperStar) the ten yards to its location outside of my indoor observatory (converted garage).

I have posted this image and description to reinforce the fact that the 8" Evolution is (arguably) the sweet spot if weight and assembly is a consideration (the 9.25" is vastly heavier). I can be up and running in under ten minutes. This speed is highly desirable in the UK where the gaps between clouds is often short. However, if you want true portability for travel, a small perhaps Williams refractor and an I-Optron (lightweight) mount is probably a better option. 

Wow!!! It's an amazing setup, I would definitely like something like that.

#40 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 22 July 2021 - 07:22 AM

I'm not sure how to do it so I haven't tried.  smile.gif

Your manual has a good write up on it

• rboe and Acaxual like this

#41 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 24 July 2021 - 04:25 PM

I couldn't decide between the 8 and 9.25.  So, I got both.  If I had to sell one..... (I don't) but I still can't decide.  Good scopes, slightly different.

I've had EVO's for over two years now.  I don't see the sense of StarSense.  Alignment with a tablet or hand control is quick, easy, and reliable.  How does adding more gear possibly help?  Starsense is one more thing to buy, store, plug, unplug, or otherwise have problems with.  Keep it simple. 

• Acaxual likes this

#42 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

Posted 24 July 2021 - 05:48 PM

I couldn't decide between the 8 and 9.25.  So, I got both.  If I had to sell one..... (I don't) but I still can't decide.  Good scopes, slightly different.

I've had EVO's for over two years now.  I don't see the sense of StarSense.  Alignment with a tablet or hand control is quick, easy, and reliable.  How does adding more gear possibly help?  Starsense is one more thing to buy, store, plug, unplug, or otherwise have problems with.  Keep it simple.

Why buy a Ferrari when a Ford will get you from A to B? Why embrace sat-nav when a paper map might suffice? Why buy cotton if you can afford silk?

I use Starsense because I don't have to bend like a contortionist to squint through a red dot finder or eyepiece. I use Starsense because it delivers astonishing accuracy that I cannot match when trying to centre a calc-star in an eyepiece. But you don't have to be arthritic and short sighted to benefit from Starsense. I love the fact I can press a button and it solves alignment for me. That time saving under cloudy, overcast UK skies is valuable.

#43 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 July 2021 - 11:42 PM

Why buy a Ferrari when a Ford will get you from A to B? Why embrace sat-nav when a paper map might suffice? Why buy cotton if you can afford silk?

I use Starsense because I don't have to bend like a contortionist to squint through a red dot finder or eyepiece. I use Starsense because it delivers astonishing accuracy that I cannot match when trying to centre a calc-star in an eyepiece. But you don't have to be arthritic and short sighted to benefit from Starsense. I love the fact I can press a button and it solves alignment for me. That time saving under cloudy, overcast UK skies is valuable.

How long it take to align with Starsence?

#44 Acaxual

Acaxual

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:18 AM

Here are some pictures I took yesterday using the "Celestron - NexYZ DX Kit - 3-Axis Universal Smartphone Adapter" and my iPhone. 

To be simple setup,  I think they came out really good. 

gallery_341356_17288_1860694.jpggallery_341356_17288_2711520.jpggallery_341356_17288_233082.jpggallery_341356_17289_191983.jpggallery_341356_17289_42564.jpggallery_341356_17290_121697.jpggallery_341356_17290_18724.jpg

#45 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

Posted 25 July 2021 - 12:57 AM

How long it take to align with Starsence?

About 40 seconds.

#46 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:14 PM

40 seconds is tough to beat.

I use a laser pointer instead of a red dot so I don't have to crane my neck.

Usually, I connect an Android tablet running SkySafari so SS dumps the time, date, and location into the mount.  I start the Auto 2 Star alignment with the scope nearly pointed at the first alignment star.

It's pretty quick and simple to align on the first star, select and slew to a second star.  Then align on it.

The slowest part of the process is waiting for the scope to slew between stars. 

40 seconds?  Don't know.  I never timed it.  I think I will though.

• Gregg Carter likes this

#47 Maritime

Maritime

Apollo

Posted 25 July 2021 - 01:37 PM

Used starsense up on Mt. Rainier last night-it took no more than 2 minutes, and amazed passers by. Somebody laughed and said, danger, Will Robinson….

#48 Gregg Carter

Gregg Carter

Vostok 1

• Loc: Northern New Mexico

Posted 25 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

I use a laser pointer instead of a red dot so I don't have to crane my neck.

I hear you.  I love a laser finder.

#49 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 25 July 2021 - 08:48 PM

I find StarSense AutoAlign to be indispensable. No need to squint through the eye piece in awkward positions or even align on a computer screen.

It is easiest to use through CPWI with user defined alignment points, so that no time is wasted looking stars in trees etcsmile.gif. CPWI gets location and time from the PC so if they are correct, you can just stand back and watch, even walk away.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics