•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is on your To Do list?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:03 PM

While I have a much, much larger overall To Do list, this my is list of astronomy-related things:

1. Design and build the final rockerbox for my dob. It's still sitting on the prototype.
  2. Finish wiring the dob and getting the rear cooling fans powered by my new battery. This involves running some wiring from the swingdown tailgate through the mirror box and up to one of the truss poles so it can reach my UTA where the fan speed controllers will be.
  3. Give my telescopes a good cleaning.
  4. Build a nice dob mount for my 4.5" reflector and ditch the horrid EQ mount it comes with.
  5. Finish organizing all my misc equipment into storage bins for my telescope storage room.
  6. Build a proper mirror cover for my dob's mirror box instead of using the makeshift one I have on there now.
  7. Find a dust cap for the top of the UTA. Might re-purpose the one on my 12" since that one is too small and might fit my 15" better.
  8. Design and build my own LED headlamp since there is literally nothing good on the market for astronomy.
  9. Build an observing chair.
  10. Build a new structure around my 12" Lightbridge optics that will act as a kind of prototype for a much larger scope build.
  11. Eventually build a 25+" scope. Not sure how big I want to go yet.
  12. Grind my first mirror.
  13. Build an aperture mask for my 15" (which might double as the dust cover for the UTA)
  14. Do a re-write of my website https://eyepieceplanner.com - add new features, clean up the code, update the framework I used etc...

What's in the back of your "things I need to do" drawer?

Edited by CrazyPanda, 04 September 2020 - 12:04 PM.

• m1618 likes this

#2 N7GTB

N7GTB

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kennewick, WA.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 12:45 PM

I won't live long enough to complete my 'overall' to do list (my loving bride see's to that each and every day)...But,

For the ATM stuff;

1. Complete my first telescope: 6" f7.5 Newtonian. The basic OTA is nearly complete, just need to drill a hole in the tube, mount the focuser and secondary mirror (all today I hope).

2. Finish polishing primary mirror for the above, figure it, then send away for coating.

3. Build a mount for the above.

4. Make a 8" dia pitch lap to polish out a pre-ground 8" f/6 mirror.

5. Build a mirror cell for the 8" mirror.

6. Build the OTA and mount for the 8" f6

7. Repeat the process for a 12" f6 reflector...

8. Enjoy using each of the above.  :)

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:03 PM

My list is getting shorter somehow.

Build new rocker box for my 12" Flextube and finish my altaz pipe mount, I have most of the parts but my workshop isn't climate controlled and it's been mid-high 90s for a few weeks, phew! 

#4 Couder

Couder

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Other than trying, but not being able to keep the observatory clean, with all the stay-home time we've had I finished the huge project - restore the twin tube 8" refractors. I have to paint it yet but will wait till we get a new place. I have made tons of adapters, finished lots of other small astro projects, and cleaned eyepieces. Just got the aluminum spacer ring to mount the 8" refractor lens on the tube, so I have to do that. Hopefully when the pandemic is over we can start looking for a different place so I can get the roll-off built and functional.

• wrnchhead likes this

#5 cuzimthedad

cuzimthedad

Just Be Cuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nampa, ID

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:20 PM

Build a dedicated astronomy storage cabinet in the garage. I have the material but it's been to hot out there to get to it. It's supposed to cool down next week so maybe then.

• wrnchhead likes this

#6 ed_turco

ed_turco

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

I have an aspirational project when i can come up with the strength to grind, polish, figure and complete a 5'' folded f/24 refractor.  In this day of astronomical prices for optical glasses, I already have the required glasses made during World War II.

Would you believe that when I wanted glass for a semi-apo, the lowest quote was a little over $4K?   (!)

• Diego likes this

#7 Big_Eight

Big_Eight

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

My list right now:

Start work on a 16" Dob modeled after the ones described in the Kriege/Berry book "The Dobsonian Telescope". I have the optics just need to get the mirror cell built and get going on it at some point.

#8 BoriSpider

BoriSpider

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: S.W.FLA

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:55 PM

WAY back when there was a "run" on the Meade 114nt OTA's off of their ebay store so I bought one.

Now after ALL this time I still need to build a dob base for it.

Might be years/decade before I get to it.

#9 KTAZ

KTAZ

Apollo

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:59 PM

Get to a dark sky site next month and shoot Mars at opposition.

#10 Diego

Diego

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:18 AM

Keep working on my 16" dob...most parts of the structure are done...pending mirror cell... spider... secondary holder...rocker box...sand...detail...stain....seal/weatherproof 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Current pandemic situation has really slowed things down

#11 Other_Mike

Other_Mike

Explorer 1

• Loc: PNW

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:28 PM

My list is pretty short at the moment. I've made most of the upgrades to my 16" that I could think of, but now I'd like to build a "lollipop-stick" style holder for my O-III filter, so I can more easily hold it behind the focuser to blink planetary nebulae. I've gotten all the easy ones it feels like, and now I'm down to the "stellar: blink O-III filter to confirm" targets.

And, my 4" Newt on an awkward EQ mount is back from Arizona after my folks decided to sell their winter place. My wife has asked me to build it into a mini Dob like my 16", so we can have a functional telescope for her dolls. How can I say no to that?

My list right now:

Start work on a 16" Dob modeled after the ones described in the Kriege/Berry book "The Dobsonian Telescope". I have the optics just need to get the mirror cell built and get going on it at some point.

That book was my bible while I was building my 16". I built everything around the mirror I'd picked up used, even cutting out the mirror cell components with a jigsaw in my garage. Feel free to throw any questions you run into my way.

• Big_Eight likes this

#12 Big_Eight

Big_Eight

Explorer 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:21 PM

My list is pretty short at the moment. I've made most of the upgrades to my 16" that I could think of, but now I'd like to build a "lollipop-stick" style holder for my O-III filter, so I can more easily hold it behind the focuser to blink planetary nebulae. I've gotten all the easy ones it feels like, and now I'm down to the "stellar: blink O-III filter to confirm" targets.

And, my 4" Newt on an awkward EQ mount is back from Arizona after my folks decided to sell their winter place. My wife has asked me to build it into a mini Dob like my 16", so we can have a functional telescope for her dolls. How can I say no to that?

That book was my bible while I was building my 16". I built everything around the mirror I'd picked up used, even cutting out the mirror cell components with a jigsaw in my garage. Feel free to throw any questions you run into my way.

Awesome, thanks I definitely will. I love the book it is full of so much good information.
  • Other_Mike likes this

#13 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 September 2020 - 09:39 PM

Awesome, thanks I definitely will. I love the book it is full of so much good information.

Agreed. That was also my bible for my 15" build.

If you need some inspiration, I have a gallery of the build when it was in progress:

https://www.cloudyni...2-15-dob-build/

Also happy to answer any questions you have.

Good luck!

• Big_Eight likes this

#14 Other_Mike

Other_Mike

Explorer 1

• Loc: PNW

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:21 PM

What a coincidence, I have a build album too! imgur.com/a/y3HanTy/layout/grid I also have a build thread somewhere on here.
  • Big_Eight likes this

#15 Beeham

Beeham

Vostok 1

• Loc: Oakland County, Michigan

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

My list...

1) Precision-level the tripod on the driveway, mark the spots on the legs to record the adjustment, and mark the leg locations on the concrete so I don't have to repeat the process every time.  (I tell myself this every time I set up...it still hasn't happened.)

2) Buy a sturdier mount for the 100mm f/9

3) Machine some delrin bushings to tighten up the C8 fork mount

4) Finish making Hawkman and Hawkgirl costumes for the kids on Halloween (you should see these mechanical articulating wings...)

5) Compulsively check email for long-awaited "AZ8's are now available" email from Losmandy

6) Machine down some aluminum into a dovetail to hold counterweights

7) Organize giant bin of random flea-market mill and lathe tooling in the garage

8) Make a better travel case for the C8

9) Buy some encoders and an arduino to make a DSC system for the dob

10) Lament the fact that I accomplished nothing due to spending too much time on the internet

Cheers!

#16 Arjan

Arjan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:37 AM

Too many things to do to maintain a to-do list.

#17 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:10 AM

Print off and then mark out the upper and lower sections for a mirror cell. That one is first, then figure out a design for the bits to hold the mirror in place.

After that the rocker box and then the two or three hundred other bits.

Need to do the mirror cell first.

Have 2 designs somewhere.

Would also really like to find some easy, simple free software to draw the assorted bits up. Everything is for detailed design and is a 2 to 3 year learnig curve or just too pathetic.

Edited by sg6, 19 September 2020 - 09:11 AM.

#18 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

Finish up my 10 inch airline carry on travel dob. Start on my 14 inch f6 planet killer dob. Hoping to break ground on my observatory in the next month.

#19 stargazer193857

stargazer193857

Cosmos

• Loc: Southern Idaho

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

1. Build a treepanning rig.
2. Build a kiln.
3. Build molds.
4. Build a fixed post polisher.

Tomorrow I'm visiting another cloudy nights member to play with his Foucault tester and have up close looks at some of his Teeter scope parts.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics