•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Messier 16- The Result of a Long Learning Process

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 southerndandy

southerndandy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metro West Boston

Posted 04 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

This is my rendition of M16.  I spent a week in the lakes region of NH at the beginning of August and had several wonderful nights observing, photographing, and just watching the Perseids.  This was also the the 1st time I'd brought my photo equipment anywhere other than my backyard in Metro West Boston.  I've been doing AP for a little over a year, and I've had some pictures that I was satisfied with, but this is the 1st one that I can say I'm happy with.  I know it's far from perfect, but to me it proves that I am learning and that I am improving, and that I'm not totally on the wrong track.  Comments and criticism is encouraged, I can take it, I'm a designer so I'm used to people critiquing my work.

M16

Orion ED80 w/ reducer/flattener

Canon T6 unmodded

Orion St-80A with ZWO 120 mini guider

Sirius Mount

32 x 180sec + darks, flats, bias

Captured with NINA and PHD2

Processed with Star Tools and Photoshop

I took 40 images total, 8 were rejected for clouds and bad stars, I was fighting some weird guiding problems and high, thin clouds that kept rolling through.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 08.12.2020 m16 stack 1 edit 1 sm.jpg

• jimandlaura26, F.Meiresonne, elmiko and 9 others like this

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 04 September 2020 - 02:24 PM

Wow. That is really nice. Wonderful colors; the fact that this was done with an un-modded DSLR gives me hope!  waytogo.gif

grin.gif

#3 Szumi

Szumi

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: NLP, Michigan

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:55 PM

Looks nice.  I've been working M16 with my C8Edge + .7x reducer + OAG.  Shot some frames with my t5i and  and others with my 7DMK2.  I think I'm up to 3 hours of data, not all great over two months.  Weather just hasn't been cooperative. 

I just tweaked my color balance to get something tonally pleasing like your image.

You are doing better than I am. 

Edited by Szumi, 06 September 2020 - 01:56 PM.

#4 southerndandy

southerndandy

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metro West Boston

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the kind words. Sky conditions were pretty decent, minus the clouds and much darker than home. At home I would have had to have shot 2 or 3 times what I did. I also made a couple of processing attempts before I got to here. It was a real learning experience.

#5 schmeah

schmeah

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Morristown, NJ

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:57 AM

I agree. When I first saw this, I looked to see which narrowband filters you had used. Nice to see what can be done with an unmodded DSLR. Excellent colors.

Derek

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics