•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astroscan - ABS Plastic Surface Restoration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psybiggs

psybiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:48 PM

I just picked up an Astroscan from FB Marketplace... It's in rough shape, but all the part are intact.  I've disassembled it and started to clean it up. I've been reading a lot about restoring the surface of the tube, sounds like a combination of wet sanding and plastic polish is the way to go, but I'm wondering what to do about some pretty pronounced white marks.  I think maybe it's oxidation of some kind.  Wondering if anyone else has seen this? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20200904_212201337_resize_22.jpg
  • IMG_20200904_212152699_resize_25.jpg

#2 mattyfatz

mattyfatz

Gemini

• Loc: Boise Idaho

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:48 PM

That looks like damage to paint. Maybe it came in contact with a cleaning solvent or something like that.

I wax mine with Turtle Wax..  My Astroscan is from 1985, and it still works great. 

• psybiggs likes this

#3 psybiggs

psybiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:54 AM

That looks like damage to paint. Maybe it came in contact with a cleaning solvent or something like that.

I wax mine with Turtle Wax..  My Astroscan is from 1985, and it still works great. 

I thought so too. I ended up doing a bit of superfine wet-sanding to get out the worst of it, then used Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound... Looks pretty good now. 

• mattyfatz likes this

#4 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

Try Once A Year car polish  ..youll be amazed what it can do to plastic ..

I polish up old blenders from 60s to turn into table lamps ..they look like absolute new with little effort .

Stevegeo

• mattyfatz and psybiggs like this

#5 psybiggs

psybiggs

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:44 AM

Try Once A Year car polish  ..youll be amazed what it can do to plastic ..

I polish up old blenders from 60s to turn into table lamps ..they look like absolute new with little effort .

Stevegeo

Thanks... also, Blender Lamps, cool idea.

• mattyfatz likes this

#6 Compressorguy

Compressorguy

Vanguard

• Loc: Clayton, NC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:28 AM

Kits made to restore headlamps work very well and comes with very fine sanding pads, plastic polish, buffer wheel for your cordless drill. I’ve used this on several of mine. It’s amazing the other uses I have found for this. Worked great on polishing a Questar base as well. Buffed out car scratches, rub marks, as well as restored many plastic headlamps. Very useful. 

Runs about $25 Amazon 

QBA005834-ADBE-423F-9E48-E086311CEBBA.jpeg

• mattyfatz and psybiggs like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics