•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telementor with possible fungus and number confusion

beginner classic equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Norway

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:57 PM

photo5961059069911478636.jpg

I have been lucky and got my hands on a Telementor!

It is a really cool and solid piece of equipment, going to look good together with Soviet Big and Small School Refractors (Большой Школьный Рефрактор 80/800 and Малый Школьный Рефрактор 60/600) when they are restored.

Got the first light a couple of nights ago, very clear image of Mars, looking forward to use it more!

I thought the internal crayford focusing, made it a Telementor II, but the knobs look like I (one)?

Also it looks like fungus, as seen in another thread. Can I open it and clean without the special tool? I promise to read up and prepare for good cleaning, but afraid of need special tool.

I have read through several Telementor threads here about adapters for 1.25 eyepieces, but several links are outdated, perhaps someone can help with fresh links?

Best and clearest skies:))

Attached Thumbnails

• photo5961059069911478633.jpg
  • photo5961059069911478629.jpg
  • photo5961059069911478631.jpg
  • photo5961059069911478632.jpg

Edited by mr.otswons, 07 September 2020 - 10:11 PM.

• Corcaroli78, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:14 PM

That is  a type 2.   The type 2 has in internal tube that moves the lens back and forth.  They are tricky to take apart.  I have had a couple apart.   I have a thread on how to do  it somewhere on CN.    Looks like a type 2 ATO with a type 1 mount.  

Edited by starman876, 07 September 2020 - 10:17 PM.

• mr.otswons likes this

#3 PawPaw

PawPaw

Messenger

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:44 AM

I highly recommend the following videos by Dave Trott:

https://www.youtube....h?v=VLFDXUFMqhI

https://www.youtube....h?v=KKj8JdVjcSc

Cheers

Don

• Bomber Bob, Bowlerhat and mr.otswons like this

#4 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 08 September 2020 - 06:42 AM

You’ll need an adapter ring to go from M-44 to T-2. Then it’s easy to go from T-2 to 1.25”. Baader makes everything you need to do it. Alpine Astro in the USA is a vendor of most things Baader but I’m sure you can find a closer one in the EU. And yes, you have a T2 model on a T1 mount. Enjoy!

• mr.otswons likes this

#5 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:30 AM

The earliest T2's still had the old style knobs. 

The tube is extremely straightforward to take apart. Unscrew the focuser assembly block on the side of the OTA, then tilt the OTA front slightly downward and let the inner tube slide out slowly. You can then unscrew the lens cell from the inner tube. Carefully loosen and unscrew the lens retaining ring and then slide the objective out and give it a careful cleaning. It's cemented, so no fear of getting it out of collimation. 

When reassembling the OTA and sliding the inner tube into the outer one, the small spring loaded guide in the front may catch on the edge of the inner tube. The trick is to grab the two tubes firmly and push the inner one against the spring loaded guide, compressing it and allowing the tube to slide in easily. 

It's advisable to apply a thin level of teflon-lithium grease on the inner tube surface, where it glides against the teflon bearings. It's also adviced to slide the inner tube in with the focuser friction surface already aligned with the focuser, as it's somewhat tricky to rotate it later.

You can adjust focuser tension by adjusting the two tiny screws on the focuser block.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark  

• Kevin Barker, jaliteuk, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#6 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:35 AM

I highly recommend the following videos by Dave Trott:

https://www.youtube....h?v=VLFDXUFMqhI

https://www.youtube....h?v=KKj8JdVjcSc

Cheers

Don

Perfect! Thanks

#7 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

The earliest T2's still had the old style knobs. 

The tube is extremely straightforward to take apart. Unscrew the focuser assembly block on the side of the OTA, then tilt the OTA front slightly downward and let the inner tube slide out slowly. You can then unscrew the lens cell from the inner tube. Carefully loosen and unscrew the lens retaining ring and then slide the objective out and give it a careful cleaning. It's cemented, so no fear of getting it out of collimation. 

When reassembling the OTA and sliding the inner tube into the outer one, the small spring loaded guide in the front may catch on the edge of the inner tube. The trick is to grab the two tubes firmly and push the inner one against the spring loaded guide, compressing it and allowing the tube to slide in easily. 

It's advisable to apply a thin level of teflon-lithium grease on the inner tube surface, where it glides against the teflon bearings. It's also adviced to slide the inner tube in with the focuser friction surface already aligned with the focuser, as it's somewhat tricky to rotate it later.

You can adjust focuser tension by adjusting the two tiny screws on the focuser block.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark  

Tusen takk Thomas! I'll watch the videos first and then apply your technique to the scope. I find it hard to believe that someone in Norway bothered or even managed to buy separately a Telementor II OTA and then a mount from Telementor I. So I want to believe what you say, early version II. The mount is with straps, not tray.

#8 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 08 September 2020 - 07:04 PM

That is  a type 2.   The type 2 has in internal tube that moves the lens back and forth.  They are tricky to take apart.  I have had a couple apart.   I have a thread on how to do  it somewhere on CN.    Looks like a type 2 ATO with a type 1 mount.  

https://www.cloudyni...-2-disassembly/

It was this one, I think.

• mr.otswons likes this

#9 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

………………………………….. early version II. The mount is with straps, not tray.

Congratulations on acquiring a Telementor. smile.png

I find that the strap, or a chain spreader in my case, to be preferable to a tray as provided with later tripod versions. There are two apparent problems with the tray provided.

1.) It doesn't allow for a wide enough tripod footprint, in my opinion.

2.) The tray is of a poor design which use open ended slots for attachment to the tripod screws. The tray can easily slip up & away from the tiny screws and separate from the legs, resulting in lost stability or worse; captive holes for tray attachment would have been a better choice.  

Here are photo's showing how narrow the footprint of the tripod is with the tray attached, and the issue with how its attached.

PICT0001(Medium).JPG PICT0013 (Medium).JPG

Edit: Here are a couple of photo's of the chain spreader I made up, and now use.

.PICT0001 (Medium).JPG PICT0002 (Small).JPG

Edited by Mike E., 12 September 2020 - 03:21 PM.

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova, Piggyback and 2 others like this

#10 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:00 PM

I find that the strap, or a chain spreader in my case, to be preferable to a tray as provided with later tripod versions. There are two apparent problems with the tray provided.

2.) The tray is of a poor design which use open ended slots for attachment to the tripod screws. The tray can easily slip up & away from the tiny screws and separate from the legs, resulting in lost stability or worse; captive holes for tray attachment would have been a better choice.  

Here are photo's showing how narrow the footprint of the tripod is with the tray attached, and the issue with how its attached.

attachicon.gifPICT0001(Medium).JPGattachicon.gifPICT0013 (Medium).JPG

Edit: Here are a couple of photo's of the chain spreader I made up, and now use.

.attachicon.gifPICT0001 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifPICT0002 (Small).JPG

I can see how the narrow footprint can cause problems. I don't think the straps give any wider footprint though. Still struggle to achieve level on the bubble, and nervous with the legs and heavy OTA and mount on top. They tend to want to tip over! I am more accustomed with a tray or similar, where the legs are fixed (better that your tray though), and less chance of loosing blance.

Now I have to keep contact with two legs and hold the OTA and mount simultaneously. I guess practice makes better, if not perfect;)))

Great colors on the picture of the tripod and mount against the blue sky!!!

#11 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:12 PM

You’ll need an adapter ring to go from M-44 to T-2. Then it’s easy to go from T-2 to 1.25”. Baader makes everything you need to do it. Alpine Astro in the USA is a vendor of most things Baader but I’m sure you can find a closer one in the EU. And yes, you have a T2 model on a T1 mount. Enjoy!

I am looking at https://www.teleskop...m44&suchdas=OK

I think I need M44 external thread, but T-2? external or internal? And then "zu weiter" maybe this one? https://www.teleskop...ntrierring.html

Appreciate some input, as I have never bought an adapter before and it's easy to get confused!

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:38 PM

This will get you there. It starts with the M44 to T-2 adapter ring. Then the Baader VariLock Extender with T-2 Threads, then a T-2 to 1.25” nosepiece, then a 1.25” to 24.5mm reducer if you are going to use 24.5mm (0.965”) accessories.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6C732161-2E7B-4EDB-BD7F-989E898ABD27.jpeg

• mattyfatz, Corcaroli78, steve t and 2 others like this

#13 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

This will get you there. It starts with the M44 to T-2 adapter ring. Then the Baader VariLock Extender with T-2 Threads, then a T-2 to 1.25” nosepiece, then a 1.25” to 24.5mm reducer if you are going to use 24.5mm (0.965”) accessories.

Thank you for the input!

Am I right if I say, that I do not have to get a Baader #13 original, but can do well with this:

https://www.teleskop...-engewinde.html

- That's 10 euros price difference.

Then I attach this one:

https://www.teleskop...nengewinde.html

which replaces both VariLock and nosepiece?

- Big price difference

Are my thoughts good for budget, but not so good for image? I mean does it have to be Baader exclusively? or has the VariLock extender something to do with field stop, and finding the correct focal lenght?

#14 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

attachicon.gifPICT0001(Medium).JPGattachicon.gifPICT0013 (Medium).JPG

.attachicon.gifPICT0001 (Medium).JPGattachicon.gifPICT0002 (Small).JPG

As much as like the blue and comfortable tray, i am planning to stop using it due to its setup and transportation. I will go for your chain spreader solution.  I prefer a more extended footprint which makes me feel confident about the scope stability.

• Mike E. likes this

#15 Mike E.

Mike E.

Gemini

• Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:14 PM

As much as like the blue and comfortable tray, i am planning to stop using it due to its setup and transportation. I will go for your chain spreader solution.  I prefer a more extended footprint which makes me feel confident about the scope stability.

I found constructing the chain a simple matter. In previous photos I acquired  the swivel D-rings from picture frame hangers. The center ring is not really necessary, I used it because I had it. On our other tripod I just used several small angle clips, and three 12" lengths of chain which provided a 40" spread between each of the legs when the base of the T-mount is at 48" high.  And with a few S-hooks, a pair of pliers is all that is needed to put it all together. Here are a couple of photos. 

.PICT0008.JPG PICT0009.JPG

• Terra Nova and Piggyback like this

#16 mr.otswons

mr.otswons

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:55 PM

Great news! Got this custom made adaptor from a kind fellow astronomer:))

Unfortunately only after the weekend, when we got two nights of super clear skies with our astronomy club get away. So I did not bring the Telementor with me.

Counted 17 objects -  nebulas, double stars, clusters, and Mars. You might think 17 is a very low number, but remember, I am very new to this and take time to find and then study the objects;)))

Next time, I have very good base for comparison on performance, between the Telementor and my other three active scopes: 8"Dob, MAK127 and Tal-1.

TAL-1 did a very good job on Epsilon Lyrae, and one of oldest members in the club said it looks like a refractor image. Nice!

Attached Thumbnails

• photo6001241349413778873.jpg

• Corcaroli78 and steve t like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, classic, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics