•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Premium dobs Vs mass produced dobs

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 stubeeef

stubeeef

Viking 1

• Loc: NW NC

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

When the seeing gets that bad I break out the ice cold Grey Goose and my 8x56 binocs!

Macallan for me, I think you're obviously a genius.

For the thread starter, just get a 12.679" and it will all be better. the 12.678's are horrible.

To be more serious TOMDEY is exactly on track IMHO.

Edited by stubeeef, 16 September 2020 - 09:44 PM.

#52 DarkSkyKen

DarkSkyKen

Viking 1

• Loc: Oregon

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:28 PM

I have a friend who owns an Orion 12i dob. The views are quite nice. I know he bought it used on the cheap. Can’t think a premium dob would give better views, IMHO.

I owned an Orion 12i dob for several years and upgraded to an Obsession 12.5 Classic. While the Orion performed very well and gave good views, the difference with the Orion was apparent with it's higher quality OMI mirror and the smooth motion of the Obsession makes observing such a pleasure. 

#53 spaceoddity

spaceoddity

Vanguard

• Loc: Cloudsylvania

Posted 11 October 2020 - 03:28 PM

This might be a debatable suggestion, but have you considered a Hubble Optics UL20"? At $4795, it's cheaper than the Stargate and Hubble Optics boasts Strehl 0.95 on their primary mirror which is in the premium realm. In addition, their mirrors look very innovative in their rapid cooling sandwich design. For a review on the Hubble Optics 16" go here:https://youtu.be/4FuGniNZlg4.

I'm looking at the Hubble UL as my next telescope. Probably the 14". Transport is an issue for me and 48 lbs fully assembled sounds like a dream plus I love the fact that it is made with mostly aluminum and some steel - no wood. Looks like a well designed, lightweight, large aperture scope. I've watched that review and it seems they have worked out the bugs in the earlier versions of this scope. My 16" truss was made by a woodworker from NJ who made some dobs a couple decades ago. It's similar to an obsession design - a nice scope, smooth motions with a very good meade 16" mirror but man it is a heavy, bulky bear to carry in and out of the house, in and out of the vehicle and up the steps to my parents deck which is my dark observing site. It only gets used once or twice a year because of the hassle, my work schedule and few number of good observing nights here. I'm a fan of aperture and dobs of course but as I get older, transportation becomes a bigger factor and I'm not settling on a little scope. Tried it and I'd rather wrestle a 10" or larger dob but Hubble is offering the best of both worlds here. 14 seems about the right size and price for me.  

#54 rowdy388

rowdy388

Skylab

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

I got my New Moon 12.5" scope about 3 years ago.  Since that time my 12" Zhumell dob has been

out under the stars exactly zero times. I should really pass it on to someone that will use it.

• cuzimthedad and George N like this

#55 Sky_LO

Sky_LO

Mariner 2

• Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 12:27 PM

Ok, so with a thread like this I have to show my "premium" 13 inch dob.

I don't have any comparable scopes to be able to address technical comparisions. 

Any way, this is a one of a kind built by Mel Bartels (so sorry it is not available to all).   

Scope Folds for transportation - that gives it its name "the zip dob" 

Total Weight is 31 pounds for the OTA - about 10 pounds for the table/base  easy to transport and move.

Less than half the weight of a 12 inch Orion Truss tube (84 pounds) ! 

Slumped meniscus mirror - saves a ton of weight - 13.2 inch mirror.

F3 gives wide field of view capability and enables the compact size

Mirror figured / finished to perfection. . 

Can view objects at zenith while seated.  

A true gem of a scope -  

-Lauren 

Attached Thumbnails

• THUMB ZIP2.jpg
  • THUMB ZIP .jpg
  • IMG_1671.JPG

Edited by Sky_LO, 24 October 2020 - 09:31 AM.

• ad701xx, Bill Jensen, George N and 3 others like this

#56 Voyager 3

Voyager 3

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Bangalore, India

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:33 AM

Ok, so with a thread like this I have to show my "premium" 13 inch dob.

I don't have any comparable scopes to be able to address technical comparisions. 

Any way, this is a one of a kind built by Mel Bartels (so sorry it is not available to all).   

Scope Folds for transportation - that gives it its name "the zip dob" 

Total Weight is 31 pounds for the OTA - about 10 pounds for the table/base  easy to transport and move.

Less than half the weight of a 12 inch Orion Truss tube (84 pounds) ! 

Slumped meniscus mirror - saves a ton of weight - 13.2 inch mirror.

F3 gives wide field of view capability and enables the compact size

Mirror figured / finished to perfection. . 

Can view objects at zenith while seated.  

A true gem of a scope -  

-Lauren 

That looks cheeky and cool .

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics