•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Show us your 1980 to mid1990 refractor

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#151 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Messenger

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:25 PM

001.jpg

I can't help to have the impression that many nowadays refractors have a somewhat fancy, sometimes even trendy, but mostly more-than-simple look. But I like the old plain-simple style, best represented by old white Vixen refractors with the green-gray focusers and mounts etc. which look spartan, unsophisticated, and unagitated. Not like some glittering or flashy red or blue scopes doah.gif in some production lines nowadays.

Maybe you know what I mean.

Unfortunately, I only know some refractors and brands of that time and only from images.

This is the chance to present us your un-sophisticated 1980 to mid1990 or pre-1999 refractors.

Now I am excited.

I like red, and mine are about as unsophisticated as it gets. smile.gif

• blakestree and Bomber Bob like this

#152 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Poland

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:04 AM

Two refractors probably from the same manufacturer, although one is signed with the Vixen logo, and the other - with the logo of the German company Eschenbach.

The first is the Vixen Sky Scope 60L 60/800 mm. I could not find any information about it on the Internet, I suspect that it is a telescope rather of an educational category. Good, though not outstanding optical quality is accompanied by a very simple, but extremely comfortable and light alt-AZ mount with metal tripod. This is my favorite reference equipment that is easy to use and carry. The green color of the hammered varnish indicates the 80-90s.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20201021_150110.jpg
  • 20201021_150028.jpg

• R Botero, blakestree, Terra Nova and 2 others like this

#153 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:11 AM

The second is the Eschenbach Novalux 415 - 60/415 mm. The model was probably introduced in the 1980s on the occasion of the visit of Halley's Comet with quite a lot of additional equipment, including 0,965'' T-ring photo adapter. The photo tripod is not included in the set.

Telescope was originaly bought in 1996 in Roth near Nuremberg (Eschenbach company is Nuremberg based). However, everything indicates that at that time the company was trading Japanese products branded with its own logo. The telescope has the same, characteristic cell design as the previously shown Vixen, identical accessories (eyepieces, diagonal), and even the same finder ... In a word, a German with Japanese pedigree :-)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200221_160216(0).jpg
  • 20200221_155809.jpg
  • 20200221_160717(0).jpg

Edited by LukaszLu, 08 April 2021 - 03:30 PM.

• R Botero, deepwoods1, blakestree and 2 others like this

#154 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 11:43 AM

The second is the Eschenbach Novalux 415 - 60/415 mm. The model was probably introduced in the 1980s on the occasion of the visit of Halley's Comet with quite a lot of additional equipment. The photo tripod is not included in the set.

Telescope was originaly bought in 1996 in Roth near Nuremberg, where the Eschenbach company is located. However, everything indicates that at that time the company was trading Japanese products branded with its own logo. The telescope has the same, characteristic cell design as the previously shown Vixen, identical accessories (eyepieces, diagonal), and even the same finder ... In a word, a German with Japanese pedigree :-)

Nice!  I use my 1970s Lafayette (SYW) 60mm F7 a lot.  Like my black C90 Spotter, it has its own sealed & padded case, and stays in the shed for quick peeks (that often turn into sessions).  Very pretty Airy Disks in it - with the better accessories.

• LukaszLu likes this

#155 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Vanguard

• Loc: NE flight path of DTW

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:28 PM

I would say I " Like This" to all scopes pictured. Thanks for the memories.

Jim 

• blakestree and DouglasPaul like this

#156 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

I've just found a thread confirming that Novalux is actually a Japanese product. The only question is whether it is a Vixen product or a product of someone who sold their products to both Germany and Vixen: https://www.cloudyni...e-d60mm-f415mm/

And this is how this small Halley catcher works:

Attached Thumbnails

• _1010551.jpg

• Bomber Bob likes this

#157 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:26 PM

The second is the Eschenbach Novalux 415 - 60/415 mm. The model was probably introduced in the 1980s on the occasion of the visit of Halley's Comet with quite a lot of additional equipment, including 0,965'' T-ring photo adapter. The photo tripod is not included in the set.

Telescope was originaly bought in 1996 in Roth near Nuremberg (Eschenbach company is Nuremberg based). However, everything indicates that at that time the company was trading Japanese products branded with its own logo. The telescope has the same, characteristic cell design as the previously shown Vixen, identical accessories (eyepieces, diagonal), and even the same finder ... In a word, a German with Japanese pedigree :-)

The focus knobs certainly look Vixen. Look on their inside as Vixen knobs have a "Circle V" stamped.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#158 LukaszLu

LukaszLu

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 AM

I can see no traces of Circle V stamp, but the knobs surely look very similar to Tasco 9 and 10VR.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics