•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Carl Zeiss Jena Scope for sale. Should I go for it?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:31 PM

WOW! 

#27 Piaget

Piaget

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Missouri

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:47 PM

That is the find of a lifetime. Absolutely stunning box too ...

• R Botero and Mike E. like this

#28 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:06 PM

That is a TREASURE TROVE! What an amazingly wonderful find. I’m simply flabbergasted! 
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Edited by Terra Nova, 10 September 2020 - 12:21 PM.

• Kokatha man, Dave Trott and Agustin Barrutia like this

#29 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:32 PM

Words can’t come close to describing that scope and all the accessories. Enjoy a true work of art. 

#30 jcruse64

jcruse64

Viking 1

• Loc: Paducah, KY USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

WOW!!!

#31 dron2015

dron2015

Mariner 2

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:36 AM

it is a miracle!!!

let's test the hypothesis if the luck happens in the same pattern as simple numbers occur, always coming in the pairs (e.g. 17;19), so I suggest you should go and buy a lottery ticket or two !!!!!!! :)

My warmest congratulations!!!!

#32 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

Wow, what a find.  Congratulations.

#33 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: STL

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

You are going to find out what the ultimate is in an achromatic scope for its size.  The moon at 250x-300x will knock your socks off in that.

#34 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Apollo

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

Yup shocked.gif  Can someone explain those "binoviewer" looking accessories... are they what they look to be?! If so I didn't know they had binoviewers so early. Any more information available? Comments?

#35 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

Yup shocked.gif  Can someone explain those "binoviewer" looking accessories... are they what they look to be?! If so I didn't know they had binoviewers so early. Any more information available? Comments?

The one on the left looks like a microscope conversion. The flunky looking one on the right looks like the real things.  I have only seen picutures in catalogs before.   That alone is worth a lot  more than the purchase price.

#36 Agustin Barrutia

Agustin Barrutia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your messages! 

Im still in awe for all this!. If weather allows I will give it a try soon and test it with Jupiter/Saturn and the Moon.

Any insights on where i can Find accessories catalogues from the era so I can Identify each of them???

Thanks!! 

• R Botero, Terra Nova, Esso2112 and 1 other like this

#37 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

• Loc: Long Beach, Calif.

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:05 AM

Hello there!

Lurking online I found someone offering locally a very nice Vintage CZJ scope with mount, tripod and accessories. Images attached in this post. 

Doing some research I found out it could be an 80mm or a 110mm Refractor made around 1920s. According to the lenght of the tube including bronce focuser (157cm or 62,5inches ) it should be an 80mm Scope. But what is making me doubt is the finder, as looking at different images from catalogues of the era, the finder came on the 110mm model. 
Any idea no how to identify the real model prior of looking at the glass and inscription on it?? I've seen several images in this forum and online of the glass on these Scopes and that thats where I will find real info regarding what type of Scope is it. The owner of the scope doesnt know much about it and I'm affraid of asking to look at it and maybe break or misshandle it. 

They are asking 1500usd for it complete with boxes and accessories.

Any insights if this is a good buy will be greatly appreciated. 

thank you very much!

Agustin

Hi Agustin,

Congratulations on your recent purchase. It is very rare to have the option to purchase a Zeiss telescope with so many accessories in such nice condition. I would appreciate it if you could tell us a few things. I would like to know how you found out about it being for sale and did you buy it from an individual or from a site? Also, do you have any information about the history of your telescope. Who were some of the past owners?

Thanks,

Dan

• EverlastingSky and Terra Nova like this

#38 R Botero

R Botero

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:37 AM

Exquisite! Felicidades Agustín!

Roberto

#39 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:03 AM

This is a find of "galactic" proportions!   Your string of photos is the single most impressive set I've seen in the eight years I've been on Cloudy Nights!

Don't bother playing the lottery any more...you just hit the astronomical equivalent of the "Megamillions" jackpot!

Seriously - congratulations on a spectacular find!

John

Edited by John Higbee, 12 September 2020 - 06:06 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#40 Agustin Barrutia

Agustin Barrutia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your messages!. 
Asking around it seems that the story goes like this. 

In the beginning of the xxth century, Marcelo T de Alvear a wealthy lawyer and politician (ex president of Argentina ) bought a 110cm Zeiss refractor similar to the one I bought. There might have been a star party of some kind where he showed his new toy, as in the next years 12 Zeiss scopes came to Argentina to private hands. Most of these scopes where 110cm too, some in equatorial mounts and a couple bigger 150mm and 200mm too. Some of them are now in the Buenos Aires Observatory, another in a public library, and it seems that one of them ended in the Buenos Aires national School. Other of these scopes remained in the farm houses of the wealthy owners, as it is the case of my Scope.

It belonged to the same family from that time until the Heiress died some years ago and her sons sold the furniture of the house, including the scope, that was bought by a worker of the country house that worked 35 years there. Because of financial reasons and being unemployed he was forced to sell this treasure and thats when I luckily found it in FB marketplace pages. This might be the reason why is so complete, luckily not many people owned the scope.

Will let you know and post pictures when taking it for its "first light".

Cheers!

• EverlastingSky, Scott99, R Botero and 4 others like this

#41 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:31 PM

Thanks everyone for your messages!. 
Asking around it seems that the story goes like this. 

In the beginning of the xxth century, Marcelo T de Alvear a wealthy lawyer and politician (ex president of Argentina ) bought a 110cm Zeiss refractor similar to the one I bought. There might have been a star party of some kind where he showed his new toy, as in the next years 12 Zeiss scopes came to Argentina to private hands. Most of these scopes where 110cm too, some in equatorial mounts and a couple bigger 150mm and 200mm too. Some of them are now in the Buenos Aires Observatory, another in a public library, and it seems that one of them ended in the Buenos Aires national School. Other of these scopes remained in the farm houses of the wealthy owners, as it is the case of my Scope.

It belonged to the same family from that time until the Heiress died some years ago and her sons sold the furniture of the house, including the scope, that was bought by a worker of the country house that worked 35 years there. Because of financial reasons and being unemployed he was forced to sell this treasure and thats when I luckily found it in FB marketplace pages. This might be the reason why is so complete, luckily not many people owned the scope.

Will let you know and post pictures when taking it for its "first light".

Cheers!

Thank you Agustin for describing the route your Zeiss had to travel so you could be in the right place at the right time with the right knowledge that led to you purchasing it. How long was it on FB marketplace before you discovered it for sale? I am like all the rest of the folks on this forum who are both envious and happy for you. You have a real gem, but I do not have to tell you that. Feel free to PM me if you need any help on how to enjoy all of those accessories as well. There are many on this forum who can also help.

Congratulations!!!!!

Dan

• Mike E. and Terra Nova like this

#42 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:52 PM

Amazing score!!!!!

Dave

#43 Oliveira

Oliveira

Sputnik

• Loc: Itu, SP, Brazil

Posted 12 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

So an old German telescope turns up in Argentina. Hmm hmm.gif

In Buenos Aires, Argentina and here in São Paulo, Brazil, there was a Carl Zeiss representative since the early days of XX century, named Casa Lutz Ferrando, but it got out of the retail business in the 80s.

• Scott99, R Botero and Terra Nova like this

#44 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:12 PM

Hello there!

Lurking online I found someone offering locally a very nice Vintage CZJ scope with mount, tripod and accessories. Images attached in this post. 

Agustin

Hola Agustin,

I arrived late to the post, but congratulations!!  What a nice finding with plenty of history.  I can just imagine what you could be able to observe from your privileged southern skies.

Enjoy it, as much as you can,  it is for sure a heirloom telescope.

Un abrazo cordial

Carlos

• Terra Nova likes this

#45 Corcaroli78

Corcaroli78

Viking 1

• Loc: 55N, 9E, Denmark

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for your messages! 

Im still in awe for all this!. If weather allows I will give it a try soon and test it with Jupiter/Saturn and the Moon.

Any insights on where i can Find accessories catalogues from the era so I can Identify each of them???

Thanks!! 

Hi Agustin, 

Here is a link with some early 1900´s catalogues that was shared in the "Zeissitis" thread in the Reftactors forum. 

https://issuu.com/ze..._0e00c11d1817fe

Carlos

• Terra Nova likes this

#46 Agustin Barrutia

Agustin Barrutia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:33 PM

Thank you Agustin for describing the route your Zeiss had to travel so you could be in the right place at the right time with the right knowledge that led to you purchasing it. How long was it on FB marketplace before you discovered it for sale? I am like all the rest of the folks on this forum who are both envious and happy for you. You have a real gem, but I do not have to tell you that. Feel free to PM me if you need any help on how to enjoy all of those accessories as well. There are many on this forum who can also help.

Congratulations!!!!!

Dan

Dan, thank you very much for your message! Its a real pleasure to share the story,

I'd have to give the credit of Knowledge to the Pals that saw my post and answered to jump on it ASAP! 

I dont know how long was it on FB Marketplace, but the funny thing is that it wasnt listed correctly asa. "CZ telescope". I was looking for Leica stills glass and Facebook algorythm showed the ad. Id say that it wasnt listed more than a Week, and the owner told me he already had some offers on the table, but no one took the hassle to go look for it in person. 
Will take your words into account and I'll write you when in trouble with the accesories!. They already warned me about the use of the Solar Colzi Prism. 

cheers!

#47 Agustin Barrutia

Agustin Barrutia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:36 PM

In Buenos Aires, Argentina and here in São Paulo, Brazil, there was a Carl Zeiss representative since the early days of XX century, named Casa Lutz Ferrando, but it got out of the retail business in the 80s.

Indeed, Lutz Ferrando was the LEITZ repesentative here too.  If someone here is into Leica cameras and glass will know that most of South american cameras have the "Lutz Ferrando" inscription on them. 

Attached Thumbnails

• descarga.jpeg

Edited by Agustin Barrutia, 13 September 2020 - 02:36 PM.

• Corcaroli78, Terra Nova and Ben Bajorek like this

#48 Agustin Barrutia

Agustin Barrutia

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

Hi Agustin, 

Here is a link with some early 1900´s catalogues that was shared in the "Zeissitis" thread in the Reftactors forum. 

https://issuu.com/ze..._0e00c11d1817fe

Carlos

Thats a great link Carlos! will take a look at it. 

thank you very much!

#49 Dan /schechter

Dan /schechter

Apollo

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

Dan, thank you very much for your message! Its a real pleasure to share the story,

I'd have to give the credit of Knowledge to the Pals that saw my post and answered to jump on it ASAP! 

I dont know how long was it on FB Marketplace, but the funny thing is that it wasnt listed correctly asa. "CZ telescope". I was looking for Leica stills glass and Facebook algorythm showed the ad. Id say that it wasnt listed more than a Week, and the owner told me he already had some offers on the table, but no one took the hassle to go look for it in person. 
Will take your words into account and I'll write you when in trouble with the accesories!. They already warned me about the use of the Solar Colzi Prism. 

cheers!

HI Agustin,

Thank you for sharing your FB search strategy. I am not sure if anyone has given you an approximate date of manufacture. My guess, and I want to stress the word guess, is the the date of manufacture is about 1927.

Cheers,

Dan

• Agustin Barrutia likes this

#50 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

Glad to see that you got the scope! Super find!

If you really want to know everything about your scope, then contact Zeiss Jena directly. I understand that they have a very good database and could probably tell you the manufacture date based on the ID numbers on the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics