•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Telescope Stories - How Far Have You Driven to Pick up some Astronomy Gear?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#26 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

This past Saturday I drove a bit over 300km round trip from Ottawa to Morin Heights, Quebec to pick up a late 1950s Polaroscope refractor. Including bio break and almost 30 minutes in a McDonalds drive-thru for coffee, left home at 7:30 and back by 12:15 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#27 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 09 September 2020 - 11:52 AM

I decided to make the drive from Silver Sprint MD up to North Hero, VT.  I drove up and back in one day - on Labor Day.  Right at 17 hrs of driving - got up and left at 5am and back home at 12:30.

The atronomy equipment was very cool -   a nice Parks 8" reflector an MN61 and a box of nice eyepieces). There was also a Vixen Great Polaris mount - but it turns out it has a locked up  DEC axis, and I can't remove the locking bolt ; {  

But - the coolest part was Vermont itself.  North Hero is an island on Lake Champlain.  I could have gone up and driven across on a bridge, but instead I took the ferry.  Totally  cool!  And the island was very pretty.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0907201409.jpg
  • 0907201522_HDR.jpg

• Terra Nova, oldmanastro, Defenderslideguitar and 3 others like this

#28 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 09 September 2020 - 12:27 PM

525 miles each way over two days. Otherwise 462 miles each way in one day.

Edited by Terra Nova, 10 September 2020 - 12:12 PM.

• oldmanastro and Defenderslideguitar like this

#29 Augustus

Augustus

Fly Me To The Moon

• Loc: Stamford, Connecticut

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:05 PM

Furthest I've driven is to central NJ to pick up the 10TE that I traded to Barry and to eastern Long Island for my Coulter. There's never been a compelling enough deal for me to drive further in the past year since I've gotten my license.

#30 L. Regira

L. Regira

Ranger 4

• Loc: Theriot, LA 29' 42"N; 90.78W

Posted 09 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

I travelled 620 miles one way from my home to Jacksonville, Florida to pick up a Cave 2.5 inch shaft mount. It took me about 9 hours one way as I recall but I love that old mount.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG0461.jpg

• KentTolley, John Higbee, oldmanastro and 3 others like this

#31 Matty S

Matty S

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Hillsboro, Nh

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

Last May I traveled about 525 miles one way to pick up the old Edmund 8. Made that a layover and stayed in a motel overnight.

#32 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:54 PM

I decided to make the drive from Silver Sprint MD up to North Hero, VT.  I drove up and back in one day - on Labor Day.  Right at 17 hrs of driving - got up and left at 5am and back home at 12:30.

The atronomy equipment was very cool -   a nice Parks 8" reflector an MN61 and a box of nice eyepieces). There was also a Vixen Great Polaris mount - but it turns out it has a locked up  DEC axis, and I can't remove the locking bolt ; {  

But - the coolest part was Vermont itself.  North Hero is an island on Lake Champlain.  I could have gone up and driven across on a bridge, but instead I took the ferry.  Totally  cool!  And the island was very pret

Yes   I thought that might be a good deal   for someone     long drive but pretty countryside  up there 

he had the mn61  the parks  and that mount       I love car trips myself  but glad you got em

Kasmos said

https://www.cloudyni...-for-a-classic/

yes  I did  and I just read through some of it.....again...

seems cool   and some good posts  back then   even like to "like" a post from a couple of years ago folks look back    oh yeah....

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 09 September 2020 - 07:33 PM.

#33 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 09 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

NJ to Chicago and back in 36 hours for a large set of byers gears.  Came with large (3 inch) shafts made of solid steel and matching pillow blocks, too heavy to ship.

• Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#34 Senex Bibax

Senex Bibax

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ottawa, ON

Posted 09 September 2020 - 05:34 PM

But - the coolest part was Vermont itself.  North Hero is an island on Lake Champlain.  I could have gone up and driven across on a bridge, but instead I took the ferry.  Totally  cool!  And the island was very pretty.

I've crossed Lake Champlain by ferry between Port Kent, NY and Burlington, VT a number of times. Very pretty part of the country.

• Terra Nova likes this

#35 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:03 PM

Not more than 30 miles and that was years ago (96) to pick up a Celestron GP C8. More recently .5 miles to my local Walgreens for my Sears 4454 in that huge wooden box. 

#36 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:07 PM

110 miles max to buy a 11" EL Starmaster from Bob.

#37 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

I travelled 620 miles one way from my home to Jacksonville, Florida to pick up a Cave 2.5 inch shaft mount. It took me about 9 hours one way as I recall but I love that old mount.

I seen that mount before.

• L. Regira likes this

#38 Jeff L

Jeff L

Viking 1

• Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 09 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

Around 1000 miles round trip -Easton Pa to Greensboro NC.

#39 bartine

bartine

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Silver Spring, MD

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:05 PM

Yes   I thought that might be a good deal   for someone     long drive but pretty countryside  up there 

he had the mn61  the parks  and that mount       I love car trips myself  but glad you got em

Kasmos said

BTW, remember this?

yes  I did  and I just read through some of it.....again...

seems cool   and some good posts  back then   even like to "like" a post from a couple of years ago folks look back    oh yeah....

Hey Barry - how goes it? 

That link won't work for me - could you re-post it?

Ben

#40 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:35 PM

Hey Barry - how goes it? 

That link won't work for me - 

Ben  I think we fixed it 

Barry       

#41 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Apollo

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:49 PM

Although I had other business in the area, I drove to College Park, Maryland. about 385 miles, in part to pick up a Unitron 140 OTA from Johann. Other than that, going to NEAF to meet someone. 

Chip W. 

#42 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:17 AM

The older similar topic

#43 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:23 AM

Dallas to Springfield, Mo. to buy the Starmaster. Out and back in a day with setting up the scope on the black surface parking lot of a giant Bass Pro store on a hot day. 400 miles each way, not too bad.

#44 Bro061

Bro061

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:36 AM

I drove 5oo miles round trip from Worcester County Mass. to Stroudsburg Pa to pick up an Obsession 15 in 2004. It was a memorial trip it was over the Labor weekend and my muffler fell off  my minivan during the poring rain on the Jersey Turnpike.

David 

#45 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:48 AM

My record so far is a 3050 klm trip in 36hrs to pick up the donor scope, parts of which subsequently became "Excalibur 18"

Edited by Kunama, 10 September 2020 - 01:49 AM.

• GreyDay likes this

#46 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:27 AM

I don't think I have ever driven more than 15-20 miles out of my way to pick up anything in my life, and usually won't drive further than 10 minutes from my home.

I'm sometimes shocked at how far people drive to pick up Items I sometimes sell. I once had a guy pick up a medium size pair of speakers from out of state. And to top it off he showed up on a crotch rocket motorcycle. The bookshelf speakers were a bit  larger than he anticipated. So I then helped him tie them up onto his back with cloth shopping bags and some rope I had, and he then took off cross/state back home. Then to top it off. he drove back the next weekend to pick up some others from the same home theater system of the same make, but showed up in a car the next weekend.

I have had other people come from much greater distances several times for various items. My furthest is probably from Florida to the Chicago Burbs on a e-bay purchase, but that guy was a truck driver that was already passing though the area and we scheduled the pickup.

I have found there are some serious collectors out there that are willing to drive for items they want. So far I have only sold just one of my complete telescopes locally, and that was before I got involved in the hobby. I have given away many of my earlier telescope purchases after being refurbished to friends kids and also family. (Mostly 60mm Tasco's and Meade's).

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 September 2020 - 10:51 AM.

• Kasmos likes this

#47 mark77

mark77

Viking 1

• Loc: PA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

I don't think I have ever driven more than 15-20 miles out of my way to pick up anything in my life, and usually won't drive further than 10 minutes from my home.

I drove from eastern Pennsylvania to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse and back in 6 days.

Normally (non-Covid) I drive 46 miles (1 hour) each way to work.

• Mbinoc likes this

#48 Mbinoc

Mbinoc

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 30 miles West Of Chicago (Split time in Dupage, and LaSalle County IL)

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

I drove from eastern Pennsylvania to Oregon for the 2017 eclipse and back in 6 days.

Normally (non-Covid) I drive 46 miles (1 hour) each way to work.

A lot of this may depend on where people live. I grew up near Chicago, so never had to drive very far for anything. I have worked with lots of people over the years who do not even own cars.

I'm far enough out west from the city that I could never survive without one, but close enough to people who do not need or desire them.

When I was a kid his whole area I live in now was surrounded by farm fields, but has changed a lot since then. as a kid three of the neighboring property's had fields large enough to keep and raise horses, and there were also several corn fields near by. Today they are all just about gone and have been filled in with homes / condos /  and apartments. Today If you drive another 20 minutes west you still can find area's similar to what I was raised in.

Edited by Mbinoc, 10 September 2020 - 12:20 PM.

#49 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:13 PM

I've crossed Lake Champlain by ferry between Port Kent, NY and Burlington, VT a number of times. Very pretty part of the country.

We did too on our way to Stellafane a couple of times.

#50 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:58 PM

I once flew from Boston to IL to pick up a Ceravolo hd216, I rented a minivan for the drive back to Boston, Also traveled many times the Philly area from MA anD points in between. The farthest though was Round trip from MA to Weston FL to pick up my AP Fastmax MakNewt - no way I was going to have that bad boy shipped UPS - lol. Oh yeah, I Delivered an 18” dob to Quebec, crossing the international border and also picked up a TV140in Quebec another time. Fun times! 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics