•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Partners for Chile

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 09 September 2020 - 03:05 PM

Hello - 

First of all, to the admins - if this is not allowed, please feel free to delete and let me know where this can go. 

I am thinking of setting up equipment in the Southern Hemisphere - most likely Chile. I am happy to provide a mount (AP1200) and camera/fw/oag/filters (ATIK16200/Chroma 2in mounted filters). I am looking for one or more partners to join, preferably someone that can supply a decent telescope (really looking for a long FL scope to take advantage of the exceptional skies that are available there). 

In addition to the equipment, there will be monthly rental charges for the pier and other services. I am trying to figure out how the set up process works - does someone need to fly to Chile to set up the equipment or can it all be shipped down there. Additionally, there will be insurance requirements for the equipment as well. 

Feel free to reach out to me via personal message to see if this might interest you.

Once again, admins, please feel free to delete if not allowed.

Thanks and CS!

#2 drprovi57

drprovi57

Messenger

• Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

Suggest you take a look at https://www.deepskychile.com/en/ I also was looking into placing a remote observatory in Chile back in February of 2020 - but then COVID-19 hit and all was put on hold.  

Best

jason

• dhaval likes this

#3 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:55 PM

Suggest you take a look at https://www.deepskychile.com/en/ I also was looking into placing a remote observatory in Chile back in February of 2020 - but then COVID-19 hit and all was put on hold.  

Best

jason

That is one of the places that I am considering.

Seems to have most aspects covered.

CS!

#4 RossW

RossW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Biwa, Japan

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:32 AM

Is it true you have to pay import taxes on equipment imported into Chile even if the equipment is not new? 

• dhaval likes this

#5 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

Hoping someone has an answer to that question.

CS!

#6 drprovi57

drprovi57

Messenger

• Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:05 AM

Suggest you contact Deep Sky Chile, Franck Jobard, he is very responsive and helpful via email or by phone.  PM me and I can send you his contact information.

Jason

#7 crgood2

crgood2

Mariner 2

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:45 AM

I had a few discussions with Obstech and have a friend that placed a 17" CDK down there, can confirm that you do pay import taxes on the value of the equipment.  I think it was 20-25% of the value of the equipment (friend paid about 10k for the entire system)

#8 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:29 PM

Yes, I just had Vincent send me an email - he did confirm 22-25% import duties which are charged up front. That is a hefty sum, quite honestly. That would definitely put a lid on the plans to move the equipment down to Chile.

CS!

#9 Dan Crowson

Dan Crowson

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Dardenne Prairie, MO

Posted 10 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

Yes, it is true. This has prevented me from moving forward as well. It looks like the largest expense is getting the equipment in the country.

Another thread also mentions the country more or less closed to outside visitors so that will probably be an issue as well for some time.

Dan

#10 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:47 PM

Being present physically does not seem to be an issue given that most folks who are offering pier/observatory rentals in Chile seem to have a service wherein they will set up your equipment until you're satisfied. It does cost you, almost as much as it would for you to travel there, so from a cost standpoint, it is not too different.

Shipping is another aspect that one has to consider - I don't believe, even if you travel there personally, that you would carry the equipment with you. Given the remoteness of these places, shipping charges would also add up. And the last bit of expense would be insuring the whole set up - especially with it being in a foreign country, not sure which insurance company would insure astro-equipment as personal property that resides in Chile. 

Even with all those expenses, I still come back to the import duties - one forth of the cost of your equipment - that is just nuts.

CS!

#11 RossW

RossW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Biwa, Japan

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:39 AM

Even with all those expenses, I still come back to the import duties - one forth of the cost of your equipment - that is just nuts.

CS!

If I remember correctly I was alerted to the tax issue when viewing a TAIC presentation, perhaps this one:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sy2QSLTgx9U

The mention of 20+ percent import taxes on equipment (new or old) surprised me. One of those "no thank you" moments. Perhaps my seeing and perpetual monsoon are not so bad after all lol.gif

• dhaval and SimonIRE like this

#12 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

• Loc: SF Bay Area

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:48 PM

I have seriouly considered Chile remote.  Shipping costs, import duties, warehouse and transportion fees, and set up fees add up to quite a sum. That's all before the lease cost.   This is why teams of 3 or more folk go into this together and split the charges.  In the end, if all you want are pretty pictures, then just rent time on a scope through the services offered at these locations. Then you don't even have to spend money on gear.    You might also want to check out what Martin Pugh offers at his home in Australia.  

• Tim likes this

#13 nimitz69

nimitz69

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:23 PM

I have seriouly considered Chile remote.  Shipping costs, import duties, warehouse and transportion fees, and set up fees add up to quite a sum. That's all before the lease cost.   This is why teams of 3 or more folk go into this together and split the charges.  In the end, if all you want are pretty pictures, then just rent time on a scope through the services offered at these locations. Then you don't even have to spend money on gear.    You might also want to check out what Martin Pugh offers at his home in Australia.

Agreed. If you’re looking to produce spectacular images and are not dead set on ‘must be my equipment” renting time seems the way to go. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about one of these newer places and even their ‘no moon’ time was only $41/hr. With their SQM 21+ skies you probably only need 2-3 hrs/target to get great images.

Edited by nimitz69, 12 September 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#14 akulapanam

akulapanam

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:39 AM

Southern sites have some significant issues and I haven't found a good solution yet been leaning towards Southern Africa though 

Australia is expensive from a monthly prospective and doesn't have as good of site conditions, long flight

Chile is expensive to get equipment into/out of, several sites involve paying individuals directly associated with unfriendly foreign governments, easiest to fly to but hard to get to once your on the ground, seeing is supposedly great but less apparent in results

Kalahari region (Northern South Africa, Namibia, Botswana) cheap to host, great conditions for large chunk of the year, cheap to get equipment into/out of, time zone offset allows day US observation.  Downside is onsite expertise might be lacking, less stable internet, long flight, some locations dusty / have rainy season

Edited by akulapanam, 13 September 2020 - 12:43 AM.

#15 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

Southern sites have some significant issues and I haven't found a good solution yet been leaning towards Southern Africa though 

Australia is expensive from a monthly prospective and doesn't have as good of site conditions, long flight

Chile is expensive to get equipment into/out of, several sites involve paying individuals directly associated with unfriendly foreign governments, easiest to fly to but hard to get to once your on the ground, seeing is supposedly great but less apparent in results

Kalahari region (Northern South Africa, Namibia, Botswana) cheap to host, great conditions for large chunk of the year, cheap to get equipment into/out of, time zone offset allows day US observation.  Downside is onsite expertise might be lacking, less stable internet, long flight, some locations dusty / have rainy season

Where I am located in Coonabarabran, NSW, the sky conditions are world class dark and steady.  Chile will have more clear nights however, and less humidity.  Chile import duties are harsh, but many have located there.  Any pay for hosting operations are going to cost between $1000 to $1500 per month.  Typically these are 1 year leases.  If split between 2 or more observers, the cost is spread out.  Australia has more favorable importation duties and processes.  Last year Australia was hampered by the major fires for several months.  Chile was suffering from the el Nino weather event.  All depends on what you want to do.  I'm working a large hydrogen alpha survey of the southern milky way, and not so much pretty pictures. The telescopes operate every clear night from my office in California.    I think if I just wanted pretty pictures, I'd just rent time on some scopes and collect the data on select targets instead of all the cost and overhead of owning expensive and complex equipment.  There are also subscription plans where you can just buy the data already taken and process it yourself.   A 20", fully equiped astrograph and set up may run close to $100K by the time you add up all the gear and get it running.  Choose wisely. ;-)

• akulapanam and dustyc like this

#16 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

There is a thread asking if processing or data capture was the most important. Based on what I read I'm tempted to get a cheap setup to learn the processing then rent time in Chile or US. 

Exception being a timely event, shadow transit on Jupiter, a comet, etc.

#17 Gleason

Gleason

Mariner 2

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:20 PM

There is a thread asking if processing or data capture was the most important. Based on what I read I'm tempted to get a cheap setup to learn the processing then rent time in Chile or US. 

Exception being a timely event, shadow transit on Jupiter, a comet, etc.

For many, it's all about the equipment, making it work and getting the image.  Pure satisfaction and it's fun.  

• dmdouglass and RossW like this

#18 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 30 September 2020 - 11:26 PM

The thing with equipment tinkering is that it gets old after a while. Quite honestly, been there, done that when it comes to tinkering with equipment. What I find is, the more money I spend on equipment, the more consistent I get with my results.

Now, don't get me wrong - this is just me. I realize everyone has different ways to enjoy this hobby - so I am not arguing at all, just stating what I feel about this hobby.

CS!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics