•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiny Tak Fan Thread

classic equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:00 PM

Got a vintage Takahashi FC-50?  Post your photos & comments here...

I'll kick it off with my 1984 FC-50:

Takahashi FC-50 P03.jpg Takahashi FC-50 P04.jpg

I didn't know that the FC-50 was introduced back in 1981.  The Product Time Line at Takahashi Japan is a great reference for Tak Fans [GOOGLE Translated URL]:   https://translate.go...vJPbMnY9tK-L-Dg

The 1982 FC-50 Product Flyers are here:   https://translate.go..._G9XTIxGonA2gIw

Edited by Bomber Bob, 09 September 2020 - 07:11 PM.

• steve t, Ken Sturrock, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:24 PM

Tiny Taks are lovely Taks.waytogo.gif  A little beauty you have there! I imagine the views are comparable to the externals?

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#3 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 09 September 2020 - 07:34 PM

Tak Sharp at 150x for lunar / planetary; 200x for bright doubles; and, 15x for wide-field sweeping is great -- even in town.

No visible CA.  Holds collimation for years.  Natural star colors.

My most recent comments on Jupiter:  the disk is white marble, and the belts are gray & black stripes carved into it, with the GRS as a bright red status light.  IOW:  Amazing for a 2" frac.

• Astrojensen, steve t, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#4 Esso2112

Esso2112

Apollo

• Loc: Magnolia, TX

Posted 09 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

The little Taks look like they are big scopes that got hit by a shrinking beam.  

My 1982 FC-50. I even have the original reducer for it. Only way to mount the finder is with the accessory ring.  There is not an attachment point on the focuser like on JW’s. 

The .965” 25mm ortho looks huge in this photo. 

38FC4112-1F9E-4E15-B271-DDE3DF3E84DC.jpeg

Edited by Esso2112, 09 September 2020 - 08:25 PM.

• plyscope, steve t, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#5 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:14 PM

Alright    now were talking 

And not for nothing but I think we all like the spin off threads where folks can expound a bit more  on topic of course    than the ads  or finds threads    good show

Got a couple of good  sized Tak  classics  so  bring on the smaller gems

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 09 September 2020 - 09:16 PM.

• Bomber Bob, Esso2112 and Astroman007 like this

#6 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 09 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

and the 60 mm s are worth inclusion  but not my place to say

• Esso2112 and Astroman007 like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Yesterday afternoon, I spoke with Brian at LAND SEA & SKY (really nice guy!), to try & sort out why my FC-50:

- Has a 1984 serial number, but a 1988+ light leather green paint job

- Has an MC lens 

One thing he suggested seems to be the case, that it was sent back to TAK for Warranty Service (probably a fogged / damaged lens), so:

- Made in 1984

- Warranty Service at / after 1988

- New Lens

- Repainted Hardware (exterior only -- the parts seen when assembled)

I didn't know it, but my Tiny Tak was originally Battleship Gray, and I'd already posted pix of the lens cell that showed the re-paint work:

Takahashi FC-50 S003 (Lens Cell Disassembled).jpg

Looking at the outer cell from the side, I can see where TAK got a bit of the green on the threads the dewshield attaches to.

• Astrojensen and Terra Nova like this

#8 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

and the 60 mm s are worth inclusion  but not my place to say

Well...  I intended this thread to be for the sub-60 Taks, including:  Takahashi 50mm Achromatics & Semi-APOs.  So, if you own a vintage Tak 50mm, share it here!  Also, some of the 1960s Swift-branded refractors may have Tak lenses -- like my fantastic Swift Model 838:

Swift 838 S09.jpg Swift 838 S15.jpg

The lens is as jewel-like as my FC-50.  Would be great if I could link that glyph on the flint edge with Takahashi...  If my 838 ain't a Tak, it sure performs like one!

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 September 2020 - 09:53 AM.

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:04 AM

As for the 60mm - Class Takahashi refractors:  IMO, the TS-65PFC-65, and FC-60 models are Tiny, so if you got one, post it...

BIF:  IF a 1981 SKY Cancer EQ mount pops up, and I buy it, I'll have to send my FC-50's lens cell & focuser back to TAK, and have them re-painted to the Battleship Gray.  And, I'll have to buy a matching finder...  and, I'll wind up with one very expensive Tiny Tak kit...

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 September 2020 - 10:26 AM.

• ANM, Defenderslideguitar and Esso2112 like this

#10 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:12 AM

Taks can go even smaller with TS-40. TS-50 is slimmer than FC-50.

FC60NZ

• CharlieB, steve t, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#11 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 10 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

Yesterday afternoon, I spoke with Brian at LAND SEA & SKY (really nice guy!), to try & sort out why my FC-50:

- Has a 1984 serial number, but a 1988+ light leather green paint job

- Has an MC lens 

One thing he suggested seems to be the case, that it was sent back to TAK for Warranty Service (probably a fogged / damaged lens), so:

- Made in 1984

- Warranty Service at / after 1988

- New Lens

- Repainted Hardware (exterior only -- the parts seen when assembled)

I didn't know it, but my Tiny Tak was originally Battleship Gray, and I'd already posted pix of the lens cell that showed the re-paint work:

attachicon.gifTakahashi FC-50 S003 (Lens Cell Disassembled).jpg

Looking at the outer cell from the side, I can see where TAK got a bit of the green on the threads the dewshield attaches to.

I noticed that the clamshell looked very slightly different in tone/hue in comparison to the focuser and objective cell:

Attached Thumbnails

• 9EE6F8A7-6404-4089-87C6-3217A01F0EE1.jpeg

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#12 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 01:42 PM

It's a cliché, but I'm finding truth in it, Once you go Tak, you never go back.

It started with my Tiny Tak.   Much as I liked my other fluorite APO -- a 1990s Vixen FL80S -- I could see a difference in the quality of the views between the two.  Then, I bought my AT102ED.  Same size & weight as the FL80S, and my Vixen no longer had a mission, so I sold it.  But, I liked the 25mm Step Program:  50mm - 75mm - 100mm  F8 refractors, so I'm casually looking at the used FC-76 models as they pop up...

The risk for me in an FC-76 is that the views will match / beat my AT102ED, and I'll be inclined to an FC-100...

Dangerous Scopes -- no matter how cute they are.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

I noticed that the clamshell looked very slightly different in tone/hue in comparison to the focuser and objective cell:

I saw that too. Looks beige on my computer. BB, what's up with that? 

• steve t and Defenderslideguitar like this

#14 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:41 PM

My clam-shell is the exact same light leather green as my FC-50. 

Ditto for my EM-1S mount.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 September 2020 - 02:42 PM.

#15 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:57 PM

Must be your lighting and background then because there appears to be a very slight difference to me. Having gone to art school long ago I acquired a very sensitive eye for the slightest color change.

• Kasmos likes this

#16 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 03:14 PM

Well...  I intended this thread to be for the sub-60 Taks, including:  Takahashi 50mm Achromatics & Semi-APOs.  So, if you own a vintage Tak 50mm, share it here!  Also, some of the 1960s Swift-branded refractors may have Tak lenses -- like my fantastic Swift Model 838:

attachicon.gifSwift 838 S09.jpgattachicon.gifSwift 838 S15.jpg

The lens is as jewel-like as my FC-50.  Would be great if I could link that glyph on the flint edge with Takahashi...  If my 838 ain't a Tak, it sure performs like one!

Well seeing that Takahashi didn’t come into being until years after the Swifts were produced I find that statement rather unlikely. Granted there are some design similarities between the AVA produced Swift models 831, 838, and 839, and the Takahashi TS series with regard general design lines, the finder, and the use of compression rings, those similarities and even more others exist across the Swift AVA line and some contemporary Eikows. In comparison to the early Takahashi’s there are also many differences. Be that as it may, the relation of the two, which is weak and remote at best, really more anecdotal rather than contextual or evidentiary,  was pretty well cleared up by our Japanese friend and contributor who went so far as to even provide some early correspondence as documentary evidence to the contrary. As I remember, the relationship between the AVA Swifts was actually with another party, none other than Astro Optical, primarily through a certain deceased optical designer. So it’s probably best not to continue to perpetuate the Takahashi myth with regard to the production of the AVA Swifts, which are really very fine telescopes in their own right. They can stand on their own merit and don’t need to be tied to any Takahashi coattails.   

• GreyDay likes this

#17 Kasmos

Kasmos

Gemini

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

Must be your lighting and background then because there appears to be a very slight difference to me. Having gone to art school long ago I acquired a very sensitive eye for the slightest color change.

I've always had a high sensitivity to color, so it was very noticeable to me. I'd say it lead to me to entering the arts and my love of telescopes.

Many males suffer from varying degress of color blindness, so I've always felt rather lucky.

That begs the question, do you other guys see the difference between the tube clamp's color and the focuser and cell? 

Edited by Kasmos, 10 September 2020 - 04:20 PM.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Defenderslideguitar like this

#18 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 04:31 PM

I've always had a high sensitivity to color, so it was very noticeable to me. I'd say it lead to me to entering the arts and my love of telescopes.

Many males suffer from varying degress of color blindness, so I've always felt rather lucky.

That begs the question, do you other guys see the difference between the tube clamp's color and the focuser and cell? 

The tube clamp definitely has a brownish hue to my eye when compared to the green.

#19 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

Yes   I see it  as well.

I have been lucky to see all the colors of the world.....She's a rainbow  by Mick and Keith   no wonder you have that great refractor colors pic Kasmos ... all laid out on your living room floor...

BB if the Tak 50mm was painted once   it is not like you would be losing originality  if you painted it again    back  in that Tak gray? BTW   what it that Tak gray color anyway?    Someone  in an ancillary thread   called it   Blue gray ?

En Re  Tak 50mm      keeping your thread  at 50mm Taks   is fine  Anyone can start the 60mm topic     I  thought it might be a rather limited universe of entries here but keep it as you like...…..

Be careful what you wish for we have been told. Yes I  have a BOLO out for an Older classic FC-76 myself  but the Vixen 80mmfl is right there  so no rush   no want ads    and heck you go first.    If it takes another year to find one  no bother  I'm in for the long haul     You are right about the FC -100    despite having the outstanding C-102 fluorite   cant let the FC-100 go  it just does something else  and the build quality is   well Tak build quality.....Funny how you can stay in classic range with older top quality APO's like  with these great old Taks…….big and small.

• steve t, Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#20 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:05 PM

Kurt's pix in Post #4 was mine's original color...  I like it -- especially with all my gray mounts & such.

• Defenderslideguitar and Esso2112 like this

#21 dusty99

dusty99

Viking 1

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:16 PM

Wasn't Takahashi Seisakusho making optical lenses since the late '40s or early '50s?  Thought I had read that somewhere...  I know they didn't make complete telescopes before 1967 (or 1969, depending on the source).

Well seeing that Takahashi didn’t come into being until years after the Swifts were produced I find that statement rather unlikely. Granted there are some design similarities between the AVA produced Swift models 831, 838, and 839, and the Takahashi TS series with regard general design lines, the finder, and the use of compression rings, those similarities and even more others exist across the Swift AVA line and some contemporary Eikows. In comparison to the early Takahashi’s there are also many differences. Be that as it may, the relation of the two, which is weak and remote at best, really more anecdotal rather than contextual or evidentiary,  was pretty well cleared up by our Japanese friend and contributor who went so far as to even provide some early correspondence as documentary evidence to the contrary. As I remember, the relationship between the AVA Swifts was actually with another party, none other than Astro Optical, primarily through a certain deceased optical designer. So it’s probably best not to continue to perpetuate the Takahashi myth with regard to the production of the AVA Swifts, which are really very fine telescopes in their own right. They can stand on their own merit and don’t need to be tied to any Takahashi coattails.   

• Bomber Bob likes this

#22 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

Started manufacturing astronomical instruments in 1960. As a astronomical telescope manufacturer, we have now established a solid management base in the optical industry as a manufacturer with both development and manufacturing/sales departments.

- Takahashi Japan / Corporate / About Us [GOOGLE Translation]

#23 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:08 PM

Posted by Charlie B, received from Japanese CN member Galakuma:

Posted 20 March 2019 - 04:23 PM
I received this reply from a post of mine on a Japanese astro BBS (Galakuma's) about Swift telescopes.  It's a screen shot of the translation, but it sheds some additional light on Swift scopes and Astro Optical. Charlie B. (See below.)

https://www.cloudyni...77mm/?p=9230188

Attached Thumbnails

• 5F802FBA-51E7-489D-B756-BE038965E77D.jpeg
  • 8BA3AA0B-ED6C-4DDA-BAA4-5A46ECD21765.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 10 September 2020 - 06:18 PM.

• steve t, Kasmos and Esso2112 like this

#24 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:16 PM

Wasn't Takahashi Seisakusho making optical lenses since the late '40s or early '50s?  Thought I had read that somewhere...  I know they didn't make complete telescopes before 1967 (or 1969, depending on the source).

From the Takahashi History website:

“The story of Takahashi began in 1932 when Mr Kitaro TAKAHASHI created his sand casting factory. After the world war II, the factory made aluminium parts of optic instruments. So Mr Takahashi decided to make himself  all of the instrument, so in 1969 the first takahashi telescope arrived: the TS65 refractor. In 1971 takahashi sold the first fluorite refractor with the TS90. The sizes of the telescopes and mounts grown quickly and reflectors telescopes was added.”

http://www.astrosurf.../takahashi.html

Edited by Terra Nova, 10 September 2020 - 06:17 PM.

• steve t and waso29 like this

#25 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 10 September 2020 - 06:41 PM

So if you go through the above materials, it shows that the line runs via a Mr. Kojima > Astro Optics Company Ltd. > Makuro Optical Industries Co. Ltd > Nihon- Telescope Co. Ltd. > Sougosangyou Co.Ltd. > Swift (with Takahashi Manufacturing Co.acting as exporting agent following Mr. Kojima’s death. So as Mr. Kojima was the optical designer for Astro Optical, the Swift objective lenses are of a lineage derived from A.O. that Takahashi inherited, and this work was later incorporated as design elements into their scopes. But during the AVA period, Takahashi acted as an exporting agent for those scopes, rather than as their manufacturer. This explains why the early Takahashis look so much like the AVA Swifts. The business relationship from Nihon Telescope Co and Sougosangyou transferred to Takahashi and so Takahashi then wound up manufacturing a separate line of telescopes marketed by Swift and bearing both the Swift and Takahashi logos several years after the olive brown AVA Swifts were marketed. Those closely resembled the early Takahashi TS line.

So those early brown AVA Swifts do have a Takahashi look (a look that Takahashi acquired), but their close ancestor is Astro Optical and not Takahashi. And that is not a bad thing! I’ve never seen a bad A.O objective!

Edited by Terra Nova, 10 September 2020 - 06:48 PM.

• steve t, GreyDay, Esso2112 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics