•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tiny Tak Fan Thread

classic equipment refractor
  • Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic

#176 Weisswurst Josef

Weisswurst Josef

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bayern

Posted 03 May 2024 - 03:52 PM

Edit:

The 55.7 mm thread diameter

that I measured

belong to a 56 x 0.75 thread.

#177 ldcbl

ldcbl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 July 2024 - 07:35 PM

Hello! I’m new here in CN. A few weeks ago I got my hands in a TS-50 that needs some cleaning and maintenance.

Does anyone here has a copy of it’ s manual?
  • Lentini likes this

#178 Weisswurst Josef

Weisswurst Josef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 03 July 2024 - 09:32 AM

Welcome.

Congratulations to the TS-50. Is it the f/14 or the seldom f/10?

Edited by Weisswurst Josef, 03 July 2024 - 09:33 AM.

• ldcbl likes this

#179 ldcbl

ldcbl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2024 - 05:03 AM

Welcome.
Congratulations to the TS-50. Is it the f/14 or the seldom f/10?

Thank you Josef! It’s the f/14 model. Do you have a scan of this model’s manual/instructions booklet?

#180 Weisswurst Josef

Weisswurst Josef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 July 2024 - 07:24 AM

No nothing. And never seen such a manual.

There has been a Takahashi site with old product leaflets:

www.takahashijapan.com/ct-products/bnclog.html

Seems to be dead.

Would be great if you post some pictures of your TS-50.

We all love pictures ... :-)

• ldcbl likes this

#181 TxStars

TxStars

Gemini

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 04 July 2024 - 03:38 PM

The page listing when some things were introduced still works, but not the booklet page.

https://www.takahash...n.com/corp.html

Attached Thumbnails

• Tak.jpg

Edited by TxStars, 04 July 2024 - 03:41 PM.

• ldcbl likes this

#182 ldcbl

ldcbl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2024 - 03:45 PM

Seems to be dead.

The page listing when some things were introduced still works, but not the booklet page.

https://www.takahash...n.com/corp.html

Thanks Josef and TXStars, I could retrieve the content through The Internet Archive! Here is a working link - hope it helps someone else:

https://web.archive....cts/bnclog.html

As you both said, it has only the product catalogs and leaflets. Nevertheless, it's nice to have this material!

#183 ldcbl

ldcbl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 July 2024 - 04:08 PM

Seems to be dead.

As for the pictures, here is one from the first day night I tested it, the way I took it from it's wooden box.

I still need to clean the body, clean and reapply grease to the mount, and clean the objective lens. I'd appreciate some advice on how to do that.

I'm also thinking about making a new 1.25" ocular adaptor directly attached to the focuser, substituting the original, made for .96" oculars.

TS50 first light2.jpeg

Edited by ldcbl, 04 July 2024 - 04:12 PM.

• astro140, n2068dd, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#184 Sirius Black

Sirius Black

Sputnik

• Loc: Missouri, USA/Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 04 July 2024 - 05:25 PM

As far as cleaning the lens, Land, Sea, and Sky, a Takahashi dealer in Texas sells a glass cleaner devoid of ammonia specifically for lenses.  Very helpful if you call for advice.

I haven’t taken my TS-50 apart for greasing it, but for cleaning, I just went over everything with cotton and isopropyl alcohol.  Seems like it did a decent job although it wasn’t very dirty.

There should be instructions on how to clean refractor lenses on the internet.  Particularly important not to use pressure to “wipe “ the lens, and of course be sure to use an approved cleaner.

Takahashi makes a 1.25” eyepiece adapter that screws in where the .965” eyepiece adapter goes.  

Edited by Sirius Black, 04 July 2024 - 05:29 PM.

• Lentini, Bomber Bob and ldcbl like this

#185 ldcbl

ldcbl

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 July 2024 - 10:39 AM

As far as cleaning the lens, Land, Sea, and Sky, a Takahashi dealer in Texas sells a glass cleaner devoid of ammonia specifically for lenses.  Very helpful if you call for advice.

I haven’t taken my TS-50 apart for greasing it, but for cleaning, I just went over everything with cotton and isopropyl alcohol.  Seems like it did a decent job although it wasn’t very dirty.

There should be instructions on how to clean refractor lenses on the internet.  Particularly important not to use pressure to “wipe “ the lens, and of course be sure to use an approved cleaner.

Takahashi makes a 1.25” eyepiece adapter that screws in where the .965” eyepiece adapter goes.  

Thank you, for the advice, Sirius. I'm in Brazil and it's not ease to get products from the US...

I usually clean lenses spaying a solution made of distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and a small amount of neutral detergent. Then I rinse with distilled water and let it dry - the distilled water leaves no drying spots left by tap water).

I'm specially interested in knowing details on how to open it's objective lens cell.

It's grate to know that they provide such adaptor! I'm understanding that you implied that the threads of the adaptor they currently sell is compatible with the threads and diameter of the focuser tube of this old telescope. Am I right?

• Bomber Bob and Weisswurst Josef like this

#186 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 05 July 2024 - 11:18 AM

You can also use the much cheaper Vixen 1.25" Adapter -- it has the same 36.4mm male thread as the Tak adapter.

For small spots on the lens exterior faces, I wrap the end of a Q-Tip cotton swab in a sheet of lens tissue, dip that in alcohol, and gently rub it off.  Once that face is clean, I'll breath on it, then gently rub the whole face with a cotton ball wrapped with a lens tissue.  No pressure!  Just a circular glide.

Here's some pix from the cleaning / de-hazing of my Tak TS-65P / 500 Triplet...

TAK TS-65x500 Restore S11 - Lens Cleaning (Initial Front).jpg TAK TS-65x500 Restore P13 - Lens Cleaning (Out of Cell SD).jpg TAK TS-65x500 Restore P15 - Lens Cleaning (3 Elements).jpg TAK TS-65x500 Restore P18 - Lens Cleaning (No Ghosts).jpg

Edited by Bomber Bob, 05 July 2024 - 12:24 PM.

• Lentini and ldcbl like this

#187 Weisswurst Josef

Weisswurst Josef

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 05 July 2024 - 02:47 PM

It's grate to know that they provide such adaptor! I'm understanding that you implied that the threads of the adaptor they currently sell is compatible with the threads and diameter of the focuser tube of this old telescope. Am I right?

At these Taks you have adapter rings. More than one. And the last one ends in 36,4 mm female.

As Bob writes you can also use Vixen eyepiece holders.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, equipment, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics