•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 Classic RA slow motion knob assembly problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mswright2009

Mswright2009

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 10 September 2020 - 02:11 PM

Needing some technical help please. I'm trying to restore a Meade LX200 7" Maksutov. Other than electrical issues, go figure huh, I'm having some issues with the RA slow motion knob assembly. It doesn't  seem to slew the scope and at times it will move it then jam. I've taken the knob off and changed the death of the knob and shaft, no avail. I noticed that the knob assembly seems to be off centered for some reason.  I unscrewed the set screw holding the assembly into the base and pulled out the knob, shaft insert and the shaft with head. It appears to be grinding at times. I've included pics to let you see. Is there any special tricks in aligning the gear shaft of the knob assembly to the main RA gear?

Is the knob assembly gear head worn out where it won't engage? If anyone has a retired LX200 classic sitting around, I'd like to purchase the assembly and see if it cures the slewing blues.

Thanks in advance

Mike 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0077.JPG
  • IMG_0078.JPG
  • IMG_0080.JPG

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:03 AM

Looks a little worn. The off center bushing is there so you can rotate it to move the worn gear into a better mesh with the RA spur gear.

Check my blog in a week or so. I'm going to put up a page on my efforts to repower an LX200.

RA drive:  P1016685.JPG

Cheers, George
https://www.stmbluepillkits.com/

#3 Tom Masterson

Tom Masterson

Ranger 4

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Astro-Hell

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:59 AM

There should be a bushing the knob goes into that is drilled off center. You loosen the set screw and rotate the bushing to move the teeth into proper mesh with the gear. It's possible the jamming is caused by a small piece of metal in one of the large gear teeth. If there's no bushing that could be the issue.

What "electrical problems" are you having?

#4 Mswright2009

Mswright2009

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: Oklahoma

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:39 AM

Purchased a new front panel power board. Hooked up the hand held. Powered up and started to draw amps. Forks and ota  started to jerk in shot bursts clockwise. Continually did this for 360 degrees. Move....pause...move. Shut it down and pulled the wiring harness off the motor control panel of the RA motor.  Switched on and it spun very fast (runaway) clockwise. 

Any ideas? 

Edited by Mswright2009, 16 September 2020 - 11:40 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics