•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edmund Palomar Jr. What's the EQ mount like?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ppg677

ppg677

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:42 PM

Found someone selling this for $90.  46" long.    I like restoring old things that are high quality.  Any thoughts on this scope and mount?   Does it even have slow-mo worm gears??  

edmund.jpg

• bremms and Bomber Bob like this

#2 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:54 PM

Well worth $90.  Edmund scopes are simple & reliable, and relatively easy to restore.  Optics are generally above average to Excellent / Outstanding.  I don't think you'll regret buying & restoring it -- assuming the mirrors aren't trashed.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 10 September 2020 - 08:56 PM.

#3 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:55 PM

Shafts on the mount are 5/8" - no slow-motion controls. Edmund made a motor drive to fit that mount,

but the one in the picture doesn't appear to have it.

#4 ppg677

ppg677

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:59 PM

Shafts on the mount are 5/8" - no slow-motion controls. Edmund made a motor drive to fit that mount,

but the one in the picture doesn't appear to have it.

Interesting.  So there must be a worm gear on the RA axis?   (but no worm gear on the DEC?)

#5 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

I have a real soft spot for the Edmund Palomar Jr.  My grade school friend had one and compared to my 60mm Tasco 7TE, it seemed monsterous ! :)

If I could find a clean one, I would buy it in a heartbeat.   Not because it's a great scope, necessarily.  Just sentimental.

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:02 PM

When you see deals like that, you do NOT waste precious time looking for peer-group approval!  You just go buy it, and ask questions later!

• Bomber Bob likes this

#7 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

Found someone selling this for $90.  46" long.    I like restoring old things that are high quality.  Any thoughts on this scope and mount?   Does it even have slow-mo worm gears??  

attachicon.gifedmund.jpg

The mount looks like something a farmer knocked together to fix a broken gate. Functional, but rough. Actually, it has bronze bearings and is decently smooth IIRC.

#8 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:30 PM

I restored 2 of these mounts -- much more stable & robust than they look.  The 4.25" Newt is no problem.

But yes, back when these were new, I thought all the Edmund scopes looked rude & crude, so I went after the Japanese imports... and, as a result, missed out on probably one of the best 3" achro refractors available, in terms of optical quality & performance.

• PawPaw likes this

#9 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

Posted 10 September 2020 - 09:33 PM

When you see deals like that, you do NOT waste precious time looking for peer-group approval!  You just go buy it, and ask questions later!

You could part-it-out later, and probably make 1.5x to 2x what you paid for it.  Those 24mm Jewel Finders are fantastic -- some are Eikow, many are Towa, all have VG built quality & glass.

#10 John Higbee

John Higbee

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:12 AM

I got one of these in 1966, and still have it today.  Mount is perfectly adequate for the OTA (as long as you don't hang anything heavy on the OTA's end, like an SLR camera).  Optics are superb!

Edmund 4 1_4_ Palomar Junior.jpg

I put a Jaegers clock drive on the polar axis, which stabilized the axis even more...Jaegers and Edmund clock drives still occasionally turn up on CN Classified for reasonable prices...they are a great upgrade.

Still looking for a replacement set of setting circles...they're bakelite, and break easily.

John

• mdowns, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#11 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:42 AM

I have one  of these as well with a clock drive. When it comes to the optics you need to test the diagonal mirror. Most a not optically flat and the result is a loss of detail at high power. Most will say the image is great but when you  install a diagonal that is actually optically flat the image will be much improvement.  The mirrors in them are spheres and if it is a  sphere with no zones the result is true 1/8 wave system. That is better then most commercial scopes so again with a good diagonal mirror you will have very sharp optics. 

- Dave 

palomarjrscope.jpg

• steve t, mdowns, John Higbee and 2 others like this

#12 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:02 PM

Interesting.  So there must be a worm gear on the RA axis?   (but no worm gear on the DEC?)

No, there isn’t a worm gear on the RA axis. The gearing and clutch was added at the rear of the R.A. axis when the drive was added. Same with the dec axis where gearing was provided or even available directly as such from Edmund, but amateurs could add their own clutch and tangent arm DIY.

Even so, they provide a smooth and stable mounting. I’’ve had mine for over fifty years and it still works great for my 6” RFT.

Attached Thumbnails

• 42070046-7187-4139-94D7-26DE078E75DF.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 11 September 2020 - 01:11 PM.

• wfj, steve t and mdowns like this

#13 ppg677

ppg677

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:26 PM

Assuming the mirrors are decent, what kind of views could I expect compared to a modern GSO reflector?  

#14 ppg677

ppg677

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:50 PM

Seller decided to keep it.  He must have read this thread ;-)

• Bomber Bob likes this

#15 wfj

wfj

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California, Santa Cruz County

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

No, there isn’t a worm gear on the RA axis. The gearing and clutch was added at the rear of the R.A. axis when the drive was added. Same with the dec axis where gearing was provided or even available directly as such from Edmund, but amateurs could add their own clutch and tangent arm DIY.

Even so, they provide a smooth and stable mounting. I’’ve had mine for over fifty years and it still works great for my 6” RFT.

Used also for my 6" f/5 for years. Made the mistake of moving it to a Super Polaris, made everything more heavy/clumsy, been thinking about moving it back.

• steve t and Terra Nova like this

#16 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Used also for my 6" f/5 for years. Made the mistake of moving it to a Super Polaris, made everything more heavy/clumsy, been thinking about moving it back.

I love the ease of pushing these old Edmund and Jaegers mounts around. As long as the tube and weights are balanced its a breeze and the lack of gearing uncomplicates things. I’ve never had a dob but I would think it’s similar with the added benefit that these are equatorial mounts and even roughly polar-aligned, once locked in dec on a target you just nudge it westward.

• wfj, steve t, PawPaw and 1 other like this

#17 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

Seller decided to keep it.  He must have read this thread ;-)

So, to repeat, for future reference:     When you see deals like that, you do NOT waste precious time looking for peer-group approval!  You just go buy it, and ask questions later!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics