•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need Advice for new lightweight refractor for my SA- Astro 90%/Visual 10%

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Belmont, Ontario

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

I'm looking to buy a new refractor telescope for my travel Star Adventurer.

I have lots of good, fast lenses that work ok but want a small 60ish mm refractor to add to my collection.

I am looking at either the WO Zenithstar 61 v2 or a Sharpstar 61EDPH v2, and both would include their respective field flatteners.

Looking for opinions on these 2 or a better solution within the same size category.

I did consider the Meade 70 quad but I would like to use it occasionally for visual too... so that is out.

I do not want to go much more than 60mm so that is where i came up with these two choices.

I live in Canada so some of the other available choices in the world are not available here.

Has anyone used either and could you let me know if you had any issues, and my other question would be... do you think the WO doublet with FPL53 glass would be better than Sharpstars triplet with an unknown ED element?

Just looking for peoples opinions if they have used either of these (and it must cover my fullframe Nikon Z7) or if there is something better out there available in Canada.

Thanks in advance..... 

#2 astrodom

astrodom

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:18 PM

Hi,  I am not familiar with the Sharpstar, but I do have the WO 61 doublet and I have had good results with that on my tracker.  It will cover a full frame sensor with the flattener.  I have also used it visually when traveling and it works well for that too.   Good luck with your decision.

• Kevin_A likes this

#3 Cometeer

Cometeer

Vanguard

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California or Illinois

Posted 12 September 2020 - 02:04 PM

I have a Takahashi FS-60 (fluorite glass which is better color corrected than fpl-53) and was not very happy with the amount of color visible for AP. I was not using the official Tak reducer; I was using a Hotech SCA flattener. I purchased the Sharpstar as a replacement, and there’s no color. 

The Z61 with the official flattener/reducer may have better color correction than my Tak with a generic flattener.

The Sharpstar is actually cheaper than the WO Z61, which makes it a no brainer. One advantage of the WO is that there’s also a 1x flattener option available. 

Edited by Cometeer, 12 September 2020 - 02:06 PM.

• Kevin_A likes this

#4 Maximumron

Maximumron

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clarita, CA.

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:54 PM

I have had my WO Z61 for about 9 months. I originally purchases it to get reacquainted with astrophotograhpy while doing some visual work. I must say that this scope has impressive characteristic. One of my most challenging captures was the M109 galactic chain complex in Ursa Major. The 61mm apature may be small but given enough time and good tracking will render amazing results.
Visually speaking the thing that impressed me was the contrast the telescope exhibited. Crisp color-free star images that really allow you to explore deep into the night sky. I use and ES 14mm 62 degree e.p. for a great view.
Good luck in your decision making!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics