•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter, Saturn, Mars images with Q7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 September 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hello Everyone,  As promised my first unprocessed straight out of the back of my Q7 with a color DSI.  I have a Questar slip fit screwed into the back and the DSI in a 2" to 1 1/4" adapter, prime focus.  These are 1 image of about 70 to 100 images taken in the set.   My goal here is to learn camera settings and focus. 

Comments and advice always welcome. 

Joe Kuhl 

Attached Thumbnails

• jupiter q7-1-10.jpg
  • mars q7-1-17.jpg
  • saturn q7-1-47.jpg

• drprovi57, elwaine, Erik Bakker and 10 others like this

#2 RMay

RMay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 13 September 2020 - 12:15 PM

If any scope can make single images like those look that good, it would be a Seven. Nice work!

Ron

#3 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Ron,  I did get lucky.   These are unprocessed,  all I did was convert from TIF to JPEG.  Understand, the way the meade software works is, there is an align and combine process - here I chose 50% quality and evaluation of 20 images- also in that same box is an option for a kernal filter here I chose kernal hard after 20 images.  The camera takes an image then looks at the next 19 in my case and evaluates them. That takes 20 - 30 seconds, then it counts images then at 20th image that is what I got for #10 of the first set of Jupiter images.  I know I did not process them in Registax, they went from the meade software to my desktop to here.

Thanks again, Ron

Joe Kuhl

#4 RMay

RMay

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 13 September 2020 - 03:45 PM

I still remember the first time I looked through a Seven, in the mountains of southern Arizona, with Julius Benton from Questar, back in about 1984 (we also had a couple of 3.5s with us). My first thought looking at the moon through the Seven was that this was ‘what the Apollo astronauts are seeing when they looked out the window of their space craft.’

It is an image that has stayed with me all these years, and it’s why I have my name on a list for a Five as soon as they start selling them.

Again, great images...

Ron

Edited by RMay, 13 September 2020 - 04:27 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#5 TerryWood

TerryWood

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:38 AM

These are really good! Can't wait to see more of your imaging! V/R Terry

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:53 PM

Thank you very much, Terry.  I am trying to work up to a newer camera,  and I need to get a more repeatable polar alignment.  That will come when I get my pier and set it in the same foot print everytime.  

Thanks again,  and I will post more when I take them.     Joe Kuhl 

#7 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:17 PM

Very nice captures!  I'm still in the hunt for a Q7.

#8 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

Thank you, Toddeo.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics