•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Askar FMA180 f/4.5 astrograph - first light

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:17 PM

Dears,

got a new toy. The CN upload limits make it hard to post many or high resolution images so I put my impressions on my website.

http://www.elf-of-lo...Art_FMA180.html

Enjoy!

clear skies!

the Elf

PS: Anyone using it on a FF sensor?

• Chuckwagon, elmiko, Drakkith and 4 others like this

#2 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

• Loc: Orem, Utah, USA

Posted 12 September 2020 - 06:01 PM

I just got one too.  So far I'm impressed.  I only had a few minutes to play with it the other night.  Too much smoke and haze from wildfires so the valley keeps getting poor air quality.  And I was imaging at gain 450 just to check star shapes.  But a quick live stack of 30 sec images of NGC7000 showed nice stars all the way across the image.  I'm using an ASI183MC, so it's not a large sensor, and I'd expect the field to be good for it's size.  But there also was no obvious color fringing on the stars in the image.  I'm looking forward to getting some clear skies to get more shooting in with this little guy.  :)

#3 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:04 AM

Looking forward to your images. Shooting from Utah must be amazing,

#4 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:42 AM

Looking forward to your images. Shooting from Utah must be amazing,

It can be, if the weather and air conditions are right.  smile.gif

I was able to get some time out tonight.  Drove about an hour or so south to an area that's around bortle 3.  Much nicer than shooting from my bortle 9 backyard.  dancey.gif

I used Sharpcap to do 60 minutes of live capture of NGC7000 and the Pelican Nebula using 90 sec unguided exposures on my CEM25EC.  I let Sharpcap auto stretch it and auto balance the color.  I think the focus was close, but might be a bit off, I didn't spend a ton of time on it.

I don't generally post images, I don't spend enough time processing to get the really pretty results, and I'm not picky enough about the results to be particularly good at imaging.  But I posted the results of tonight's session to my gallery to give an example for the FMA180.

https://www.cloudyni...21_11205060.png

For almost no effort at processing, letting the software decide most everything, I think it turned out pretty good.  smile.gif

• Drakkith and poobie like this

#5 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:17 PM

Nice one! If you use a one shot color camera you might want to get the Optolong L-extreme filter and an image like this (a nebula) will be spectacular with no extra work.

#6 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:41 AM

This morning: moon and venus

Moon_Venus_low.jpg

100% crop of the moon:

moon_crop.jpg

None of my camera lenses is resolving that much detail.

#7 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 14 September 2020 - 02:16 PM

Ive been looking forwards to seeing this lens in action. Nice results so far, great writeup Elf!

#8 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

Thank you! It looks like a few clear nights during the new moon are coming up. I'll try to get some data.

#9 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

Update:

Sadr region, OSC only, 5 hours

http://www.elf-of-lo...C_only_1080.jpg

There are strong blue halos. There is a reasonable shift between the red, green and blue focus plane. Going to add more detail to my article soon. In the image the halos have been reduced by desaturation plus L from red and green only. I was hoping for better optics but this is not an FPL53 triplet.

100% crop without correction, the big one is Sadr:

crop.jpg

When displayed in full HD the stars are just very blue and a bit blurred. There must be a reason why the Borg is so expensive....

Edited by the Elf, 20 September 2020 - 09:42 AM.

#10 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:40 AM

so, updated the article and added a full res of the above image with and without correction

http://www.elf-of-lo...Art_FMA180.html

Enjoy!

#11 Chuckwagon

Chuckwagon

Viking 1

Posted 20 September 2020 - 02:18 PM

I see many white stars in your image that do not have halos, including some bright ones.  Is it possible that the halos are around stars that are blue.  Might be interesting to pick a few bright stars of known colors and center them in an image and see how they look.  If the weather cooperates I'll see if I can give it try too.

#12 RajG

RajG

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NJ

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:39 PM

Your Andromeda and Sadr pics look pretty awesome to me. The halos are not intrusive and are only visible when pixel peeping. I think this lens is a keeper. Enjoy the lens, and do post more pics!

#13 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:03 PM

Here is the Sadr wide final.

http://elf-of-lothlo...Region_full.jpg

60x5min OSC at ISO 200, T7i unmodded plus 22x15min 7nm Ha at ISO 800, T3i mono mod.

The blue halos are a problem in 100% crops. If this is the only scope you have you cannot image small objects with it. If it is a pure wide field only and you have a longer focal length scope in addition it is a keeper. As I have a 420 and 1100mm scope I'll keep it. I wonder if the color fringes are a matter of correct spacing. I am 0.5mm too close to the sensor. I was expecting wrong sensor distance leads to blurred stars, not to longitudinal CA. Gonna check the spot diagrams again....

Edited by the Elf, 21 September 2020 - 03:05 PM.

• poobie and Duckman like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics