•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bought my C11 a little ED80 buddy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 13 September 2020 - 11:30 AM

Also edited to add a couple of photos while I can.

Edited to delete the following since this was moved to refractors. Well, this post is not really equipment specific, nor is it really topic specific, but as a newb I figure put it up in the beginners forum and see what happens. Almost put it up in refractors but did not really have a specific question to ask.

After reading lots of posts and asking more questions I've just bought a little companion for my C11. It's an Orion ED80 and for now will sit up top with a 1/4"-20 attachment until I figure something better out. The ED80 will be my evaluation scope as I'm sure there will be an upgrade at some point in the future. But let's not get ahead of ourselves as I've not even been able to put any light through it . . or I should say smoke through it. It's looking like the Bobcat fire will be going for another 3-4 weeks.

I must have baked the curse cake with the 41 Pantopic and now the ED80 has just frosted it. As I sit here putting my viewing plan together for a Big Bear Lake trip for the New Moon in a few days I'm realizing that there may not be much viewing going on. The cabin is rented and we are going so it looks like the C11 and his little buddy may just be in for a road trip. The C11 was a bit lonely on the last trip so at least he'll have his little buddy this time.

I guess this is more of a thank you to the board for all the great information available through searches. Putting an 80mm on top of the C11 only came about as I read various posts about wide field viewing. Since I already had the Alt-Az tracking mount why not take advantage of it. The C11 is a wonderful light bucket but it does lack in the wide field views . . well . . . it did until now smile.gif

gallery_332504_14303_125300.jpg

gallery_332504_14303_100448.jpg

Edited by MarMax, 13 September 2020 - 05:23 PM.

• Starman81 likes this

#2 vdog

vdog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: California Central Valley, U.S.A.

Posted 13 September 2020 - 02:48 PM

Congrats on the new scope.  As a fellow California resident, I've just about given up on doing any observing this month. 

Where did you find the ED 80?  I have one on order, but I was not able to find anyone who had it in stock.

Edited by vdog, 13 September 2020 - 02:48 PM.

#3 MarMax

MarMax

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

Where did you find the ED 80?  I have one on order, but I was not able to find anyone who had it in stock.

I bought it used from that "other" classified board. Seller was in SoCal so did a local pickup.

• vdog likes this

#4 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:05 PM

And it matches your color scheme!  Congrats.  

• BRCoz and MarMax like this

#5 BRCoz

BRCoz

Viking 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:17 PM

Looks real good.  Almost like is is a set.

I put an 80mm on my C11.  Wide field on top and up close view on the bottom.  I tell visitors to look at the top scope first. 

I have it mounted using Losmandy Celestron dovetail plate for 11 and rings.  

I can't wait to get out again.  

Enjoy it.

• MarMax likes this

#6 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:55 PM

Looks real good.  Almost like is is a set.

I put an 80mm on my C11.  Wide field on top and up close view on the bottom.  I tell visitors to look at the top scope first. 

I have it mounted using Losmandy Celestron dovetail plate for 11 and rings.  

I can't wait to get out again.  

Enjoy it.

Now there's an idea.  Why doesn't Celestron market a two scope combo.  I mean you got ED80s out there for $500.  They could put it out there as an option.  I thought the whole point of this biz was to upsell.  Greg N

Edited by gnowellsct, 13 September 2020 - 10:56 PM.

• BRCoz likes this

#7 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:16 PM

I used to have a CPC925 with a C80 ED refractor on top. I used a sliding counter weight on a rail below the C925 to balance the setup. It was a nice combination of focal reach with aperture plus a wide field refractor. My CPC mount drive became flakey after about 6 years and I moved the scope to an Atlas for imaging.

I bought the CPC925 for my 50th birthday. The C80 ED came with a CG5 mount setup a few years before that. The C80 was my first refractor. It was mounted on a Voyager mount at the 2008 GSSP. It died when a pop up shelter was hit by a strong gust of wind and knocked over my mount. 

CPC925-C80.jpg

Edited by JMW, 14 September 2020 - 01:30 PM.

• MarMax likes this

#8 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:40 PM

I used to have a CPC925 with a C80 ED refractor on top. I used a sliding counter weight on a rail below the C925 to balance the setup. It was a nice combination of focal reach with aperture plus a wide field refractor. My CPC mount drive became flakey after about 6 years and I moved the scope to an Atlas for imaging.

I bought the CPC925 for my 50th birthday. The C80 ED came with a CG5 mount setup a few years before that. The C80 was my first refractor. It was mounted on a Voyager mount at the 2008 GSSP. It died when a pop up shelter was hit by a strong gust of wind and knocked over my mount.

Oh my.  And in another thread we had someone proposing a pop up shelter as a way to keep dew off the corrector plate.  I think we need to file this in the "Bad ideas" folder.

Greg N

#9 JMW

JMW

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

It wasn't my pop up shelter. It was from another camp site and blew about 40 feet into my scope. No corrector plate involved since the C80 was on an independent mount/tripod.

This was the first Golden State Star Party at Frosty Acres ranch. A lot of pop up shelters came loose in afternoon winds with some dust devils. The next year people started to use the 10 inch long tent nails so keep the shelters from becoming flying disasters.

I have never experienced dew at the GSSP. I don't have any powered dew control devices because we observe in a very dry climate.

Edited by JMW, 14 September 2020 - 01:54 PM.

• gnowellsct likes this

#10 sanbai

sanbai

Viking 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

Congratulations!

One thing the SCTs are not good at are at offering wid fields, so these refractors do a great job as complementary scopes. I also picked a used 80ED (skywatcher) to complement my C8edge. I use it in a separate alt-az mount, since the C8+80ED would be too much for the evolution.  I don't use it much often from my backyard, but it's a must for dark sites. It also makes a great grab and go scope. Next month I'm flying to Arizona and my 80ED will be in the carry-on bag (its first flight!). 

• gnowellsct and MarMax like this

#11 MarMax

MarMax

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 14 September 2020 - 06:14 PM

Thanks GN, BR and sanbai. I've upgraded the mount today since the 1/4"-20 tripod style mount was inadequate. Yes I was warned but had to try it anyway. Stability is much better with a top bar and the scope rings.

It's actually not looking terrible outside right now so I may be able to put some light through the 80mm tonight.

#12 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Hubble

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:20 PM

It wasn't my pop up shelter. It was from another camp site and blew about 40 feet into my scope. No corrector plate involved since the C80 was on an independent mount/tripod.

This was the first Golden State Star Party at Frosty Acres ranch. A lot of pop up shelters came loose in afternoon winds with some dust devils. The next year people started to use the 10 inch long tent nails so keep the shelters from becoming flying disasters.

I have never experienced dew at the GSSP. I don't have any powered dew control devices because we observe in a very dry climate.

:scared:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics