•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro-Tech 102ED vs 102EDL

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#126 laurelg9

laurelg9

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dayton, OH, USA

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:20 AM

I had a "wanted" ad for an AT102ED going for over a month but just last week, had someone reach out to ask if I wanted it. Um, YES, even though I'd just bought the AR102 not more than two weeks before.  Put a wanted ad out there, and someone who decides to sell may reach out to you first.  

• Wisconsin Steve, mrsjeff and Dobserver like this

#127 Astrohobby

Astrohobby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Düsseldorf (Germany)

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:35 AM

There are kind of three levels with Apos. Entry level with FPL51 equivalent glass. Premium glass. And premium glass, premium figure. The EDL is the middle.

I am debating whether or not to buy a NV device. $3k is more appealing than $4k. But if I get the $3k one and think it is really cool, am I going to regret not spending an extra grand to get the high end model? Similar issue here. I got a middle level, Chinese FPL53 doublet. I was happy with it when I was using other Chinese scopes. When I started upgrading my scopes, it eventually became apparent that the Chinese Apo wasn’t quite keeping up anymore so I replaced it with a Japanese Apo. One might argue I could have saved money just starting out with that in the first place.

So you just have to evaluate your interest level and spending priorities. If you see yourself eventually continually upgrading your gear, then you probably want to spend more now to maybe save an upgrade step. But maybe you have other hobbies to spend money on, and the ED will do just fine because your world doesn’t revolve around stargazing.

Scott

Hi Scott,

exactly my take, if you can effort it, go after it an save the hazzle to sell and loose money - or look on the 2nd hand market for a top Apo. As long as you are certain to stay in the hobby for a longer time.

Cheers  Oliver

#128 GSBass

GSBass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 11 May 2021 - 09:53 AM

The opinion that the edl is in the middle is speculation based on his previous assumption that Astronomics can’t meet their minimum guarantee because it cost so much less than some of the others, that may end up true or it may not… when more are out in the wild we may see some test but until then I would take opinions with a grain of salt because he does not have one and has not seen one

Hi Scott,

exactly my take, if you can effort it, go after it an save the hazzle to sell and loose money - or look on the 2nd hand market for a top Apo. As long as you are certain to stay in the hobby for a longer time.

Cheers  Oliver

• Moondust likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics