•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sears Discoverer 6344 repaint/refinish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

I bought a Sears Discoverer 6344 OTA, 76mm f/16, a number of years ago. While the optics are pristine and

outstanding, it was somewhat cosmetically challenged. I recently decided to refinish it. I was never a big fan of

the bluish green tube, and the dark green focuser & lens cell. Since this scope is neither rare, an antique, or

collector's item, I decided not to refinish in the original colors.

Since I have never had luck getting an even finish on large areas with gloss paint, I used Rustoleum satin Ivory

for the main tube & finder tube. The main tube still looked uneven, so after curing for a week, I sprayed it with

2 coats of General Finishes satin water based polyurethane, using a Badger 250 mini spray gun/airbrush. This

resulted in a very even finish.

Rather than trying to sand the focuser and lens cell, I used a trick of plastic modelers and brush painted them

with Testor's dullcote. Being solvent based it bonds to the original paint, and provides "tooth" for the final

finish. I brush painted the focuser housing and lens cell with satin black latex, and after fully dried clear coated

them with satin polyurethane brushed on.

The finder rings had a few small chips, so I just touched them up with a black permanent marker, then brushed

on a satin clear coat.

The finder lens cell and tailpiece were sprayed with Rustoleum hammered black finish.

For the dewshield, rather than painting I wrapped it with Con-tact black shelf paper with an embossed leather

pattern, similar to camera bodies from the 60s.

The scope is close to 50 years old, and now ready for another 50 years. It is mounted on my Mizar EQ mount.

The only thing left is to reinstall the nameplate on the focuser.

6344-2_f.jpg

6344 nameplate.jpg

Edited by EJN, 14 September 2020 - 10:57 AM.

• Crow Haven, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#2 petert913

petert913

Skylab

• Loc: Silverton, OR

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:01 AM

That's gorgeous.  I'd love to see some closeups of the painting detail you did.

Great job on the satin ivory.  Not stark white - I like that.

• TSSClay likes this

#3 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: S.Oregon Coast USA

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:04 AM

Beautiful job!!  I have its bigger 90mm brother and can say these telescopes are really worth it! grin.gif

• Terra Nova likes this

#4 Couder

Couder

Messenger

• Loc: Missouri Ozarks

Posted 14 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

nice job

#5 EJN

EJN

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Between eigenstates

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:14 PM

I'd love to see some closeups of the painting detail you did.

Focuser

6344-rear_f.jpg

Lens cell & dewshield

6344-cell_f.jpg

Finder

6344-finder_f.jpg

Beautiful job!!  I have its bigger 90mm brother and can say these telescopes are really worth it!

Thanks! The friend of mine I bought it from also has the 90mm, actually his second one, the first was stolen.

Edited by EJN, 14 September 2020 - 12:17 PM.

• tony_spina, Crow Haven, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Northern Kentucky

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:33 PM

Wonderful work! The color scheme you selected looks quite natural for the scope and period. Personal choice should always be of paramount importance in a restoration. The most important person to be made happy with it is the owner. Bravo! Well done!!

• Crow Haven likes this

#7 oldmanastro

oldmanastro

Viking 1

• Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico-US

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:59 PM

Beautiful work on that  Sears 6344. The color scheme may not be original but goes very well with the colors of late 60s and early 70s Sears telescopes. The Mizar EQ is perfect for it. The setup looks superb. The telescope is ready for 50++ years more. Enjoy the views.

Clear Skies!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics