•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 752

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:09 PM

Hi All,

I hope you're keeping well.

Last night in Ireland was a beautiful clear night, so when I saw how good the sky was earlier in the evening I had one thing in mind: To sketch NGC 752. I first observed this NGC 752 only a few days before. As some of you know this is a large open cluster in the constellation of Andromeda. I've read reports over the past 24 hours that it is visible to the naked eye, but I needed my 9 X 50 finder scope to see it against the night sky.

Using a 2" 30mm Plossl there were several colourful stars at 40X. As one of these beautiful objects was 56 Andromedae I decided to not go to any higher with the magnification as it would mean I'd lose it in my FOV. This double star is very close to HIP9001. Both of these stars are striking as they are colourful and bright. For example, the former has an orange hue to it and is estimated to be a 5.68 magnitude star, while the latter estimated as a 5.87 magnitude star displays a more yellowish hue.

In addition to these two fine stars, the rich star field of NGC 752 contains many beautiful arrangements - most notably a triangle shaped grouping consisting of TYC2816-111-1, TYC2816-141-, and TYC2816-423-1. These three stars range in magnitude from 7.12 to 9.65 magnitude.

The sketch took approximately, 25 minutes to complete. I finished observing this beautiful cluster at 22:03 IST.

Other details from the evening include:
Seeing: 5/7pk
Transparency: 3
Instrument used: f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: 2" 30mm Plossl (70° AFOV)
Materials used: 2B pencil, A4 170gsm sketching paper. The image was sketched at the eyepiece, then scanned, and uploaded to my PC. I used to Gimp 2.1 to invert, colourize, and resize the image.

As always many thanks for taking the time to read the above, and your comments and feedback are always welcomed.

Clear skies to all,
Darren.

NGC 752 IFAS resized.png

• Magellanico, Rob_G, KidOrion and 13 others like this

#2 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux, France

Posted 14 September 2020 - 04:20 PM

Hi Darren,

A beautiful star field and a nice drawing !

Thanks for sharing,

Francis

• DDEV likes this

#3 flt158

flt158

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:22 PM

Super sketch of NGC 752, Darren. 

Thank you for posting. 

From a darker site you probably would have seen more of the fainter stars. 

But as I'm a Bortle 9 sky I reckon I would not see any extra stars with my own telescope. 

Very best regards from Aubrey. 

• DDEV likes this

#4 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

Darren,

This is a great capture of a fine open cluster.

Nice work.

Frank :)

• flt158 and DDEV like this

#5 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 14 September 2020 - 10:01 PM

Great sketch. I don't think I've ever observed this cluster. Thanks for sharing your view with us!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

#6 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:43 PM

Hi All,

I hope you're keeping well.

Last night in Ireland was a beautiful clear night, so when I saw how good the sky was earlier in the evening I had one thing in mind: To sketch NGC 752. I first observed this NGC 752 only a few days before. As some of you know this is a large open cluster in the constellation of Andromeda. I've read reports over the past 24 hours that it is visible to the naked eye, but I needed my 9 X 50 finder scope to see it against the night sky.

Using a 2" 30mm Plossl there were several colourful stars at 40X. As one of these beautiful objects was 56 Andromedae I decided to not go to any higher with the magnification as it would mean I'd lose it in my FOV. This double star is very close to HIP9001. Both of these stars are striking as they are colourful and bright. For example, the former has an orange hue to it and is estimated to be a 5.68 magnitude star, while the latter estimated as a 5.87 magnitude star displays a more yellowish hue.

In addition to these two fine stars, the rich star field of NGC 752 contains many beautiful arrangements - most notably a triangle shaped grouping consisting of TYC2816-111-1, TYC2816-141-, and TYC2816-423-1. These three stars range in magnitude from 7.12 to 9.65 magnitude.

The sketch took approximately, 25 minutes to complete. I finished observing this beautiful cluster at 22:03 IST.

Other details from the evening include:
Seeing: 5/7pk
Transparency: 3
Instrument used: f/5 250mm Newtonian Reflector
Eyepiece: 2" 30mm Plossl (70° AFOV)
Materials used: 2B pencil, A4 170gsm sketching paper. The image was sketched at the eyepiece, then scanned, and uploaded to my PC. I used to Gimp 2.1 to invert, colourize, and resize the image.

As always many thanks for taking the time to read the above, and your comments and feedback are always welcomed.

Clear skies to all,
Darren.

attachicon.gifNGC 752 IFAS resized.png

I am surprised that you can see so much in a Bortle 8 sky even with a sizeable 10" mirror.

Could it be that you are looking out to the East or South over the Irish Sea?

#7 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Cosmos

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

Darren,

Very good sketch of NGC 752 smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

• DDEV likes this

#8 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:11 AM

Very many thanks Francis, Aubrey, Frank, Michael, 'Magnetic Field', and Tom for your messages.

I am definitely revisiting this beauty under dark skies Aubrey. Maybe we'll be together in Wicklow when I get to see it in all its glory.

And speaking of viewing it, I observed when it was in the Eastern sky 'Magnetic Field'. Unfortunately, it was over houses (not the sea). In saying that, the view was pretty good considering where I live because several trees provide somewhat of a screen that help to block out some stray street light. 

Once again, very many thanks for commenting, and thank you to all those who like the sketch.

Clear skies, 

Darren. 

• flt158 likes this

#9 SeanStaresatStars

SeanStaresatStars

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:07 PM

Really like the color your got for the red stars! Very well done. 

#10 Marvin452

Marvin452

Vostok 1

• Loc: Cape Coral, Fl.

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:03 AM

Really like the color your got for the red stars! Very well done. 

I couldn't agree more, nice and subtle!

#11 cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Viking 1

• Loc: Almere, The Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2020 - 03:59 PM

Beautiful work Darren!

Regards, Martijn

• DDEV likes this

#12 DDEV

DDEV

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:18 PM

Dear Seanstaresatstars, Marvin452, and Martijn,

Very many thanks for your nice comments, and for those who liked the sketch.

Clear skies to all,

Darren.

• flt158 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics