•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So as ZAO Prices Head Into the Stratosphere I Wonder

• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#501 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

• Loc: Sunshine State & Ocean State

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:16 PM

I don't categorize serious and casual planet observers by their mounts.  Very good observations - and even sketches - are accomplished by planet observers without mounts that track.  Don't be an anti-mountist.  grin.gif

If an eyepiece has a narrow usable AFOV, with outer field astigmatism and field curvature, those aberrations are definitely in the eyepiece, not in the mount.  I've never heard of a mount yet that had astigmatism or field curvature.  thinking1.gif

Mike

True, but a tracking mount is a great prescription for treating the problem. 

• Ohmless likes this

#502 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

ISS

• Loc: Right Coast of the Chesapeake Bay

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:06 PM

True, but a tracking mount is a great prescription for treating the problem. 

Actually, the tracking mount doesn't treat the problem.  It allows the observer to more easily ignore the problem. :grin:

Mike

• j.gardavsky likes this

#503 emilslomi

emilslomi

Viking 1

• Loc: Alps

Posted 24 January 2022 - 01:39 PM

For those serious about wanting to give minimal glass a try: the Burgess Ultramonos are back in stock. The Burgess Ultramono 6mm is a bit better (sharpness a little and scatter a bit more) than my KK Fujiyama 6mm ortho, which is quite good to begin with. The 10mm barlowed was much appreciated by BillP. Yes, AFOV 30odd, I know.

Emil

Edited by emilslomi, 24 January 2022 - 01:39 PM.

• SteveC and oldphysics like this

#504 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 February 2022 - 06:05 AM

Back on topic … there’s a set for sale, this time $10k. That’s one - not two sets.

NB I’ve tried a Burgess ultramono 10mm and imho the Fuji HD ortho 10 and the TMB SMC 10 were both better. I sold the Burgess and the complete Fuji set over 2 years ago.

Edited by luxo II, 19 February 2022 - 06:09 AM.

#505 stevenwav

stevenwav

Viking 1

• Loc: New England

Posted 19 February 2022 - 09:11 AM

The set available is a double set - 8 eyepieces, 1 Barlow and the box.the seller has posted pics on Astromart. I think he will get his price- mint never used set with original packing materials. I would classify this as a ‘collector” set in my opinion. I recently sold some “useable” ZAO’s for much less per eyepiece.

#506 luxo II

luxo II

Fly Me to the Moon

• ***--
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 19 February 2022 - 02:58 PM

Ah ok I saw it before the pics were added... two sets indeed.

Mmm… if you’re never going to use it… pink diamonds take up less space in the bank vault, and are appreciating faster..

Edited by luxo II, 19 February 2022 - 06:32 PM.

• Jeff Morgan and oldphysics like this

#507 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 19 February 2022 - 06:06 PM

Legos are doing better than diamonds....raid the kids toy box.

#508 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: L2

Posted 19 February 2022 - 11:50 PM

The set available is a double set - 8 eyepieces, 1 Barlow and the box.the seller has posted pics on Astromart. I think he will get his price- mint never used set with original packing materials. I would classify this as a ‘collector” set in my opinion. I recently sold some “useable” ZAO’s for much less per eyepiece.

I agree there's a good chance he'll get his price, probably at least 9K. 

• Highburymark likes this

#509 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Hubble

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 20 February 2022 - 01:01 AM

Back on topic … there’s a set for sale, this time $10k. That’s one - not two sets.

Inflation.

#510 vahe

vahe

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 20 February 2022 - 09:38 AM

Not Zeiss but the next best, I see that Pentax SMC Orthos are now entering stratosphere, two are offered for $495.00 + $60.00 shipping by APM on AM.

Vahe

• j.gardavsky likes this

#511 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 February 2022 - 06:01 PM

With Tak Abbes getting discontinued, they may be the next to get crazy prices! 

• oldphysics likes this

#512 CrazyPanda

CrazyPanda

Soyuz

Posted 20 February 2022 - 06:05 PM

With Tak Abbes getting discontinued, they may be the next to get crazy prices!

With all the dust issues, I doubt people will want to take a risk unless the seller can show that the eyepieces they are selling are clean.

#513 Darren Drake

Darren Drake

Skylab

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 20 February 2022 - 07:27 PM

Why does the A mart add show 2 sets but is advertising 1?  And why is it $10,000???

#514 John Anthony

John Anthony

Apollo

• Loc: FINALLY out of the Michigan southeast light dome

Posted 21 February 2022 - 09:56 AM

I guess I'll ramble for a minute.  The question for me when considering these outrages prices for eyepieces is what am I getting?  A rare collectors set or eyepieces that can actually offer me something in performance I don't already have.   The truth of the matter is among the best eyepieces made today what will determine the very tiny differences (if any) in what one can see won't be the eyepiece but will in fact be the atmosphere.  It would be so nice to own a set of ZAO's but there is nothing you can see with those that you can't see with others and you would spend a lifetime trying to notice the differences if you think they did offer you more because the differences under perfect conditions would be that insignificant. Patience at the eyepiece with what you have will be your reward.  

Edited by John Anthony, 21 February 2022 - 09:58 AM.

• helpwanted, BradFran and muller like this

#515 helpwanted

helpwanted

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:39 PM

I guess I'll ramble for a minute.  The question for me when considering these outrages prices for eyepieces is what am I getting?  A rare collectors set or eyepieces that can actually offer me something in performance I don't already have.   The truth of the matter is among the best eyepieces made today what will determine the very tiny differences (if any) in what one can see won't be the eyepiece but will in fact be the atmosphere.  It would be so nice to own a set of ZAO's but there is nothing you can see with those that you can't see with others and you would spend a lifetime trying to notice the differences if you think they did offer you more because the differences under perfect conditions would be that insignificant. Patience at the eyepiece with what you have will be your reward.  

I couldn't agree more! It's like being offered an Alvan Clark Refractor. While historically significant, I doubt it would show anything better than a modern coated and figured equal size lens from Tak, AP, Stellarvue, TEC...

• John Anthony likes this

#516 Thomas A Davis

Thomas A Davis

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 February 2022 - 10:08 AM

Why does the A mart add show 2 sets but is advertising 1?  And why is it $10,000???

The set shown is a double set for binoviewing (2 of each focal length) in a larger box than a single set. The single set has 4 eyepieces and one Barlow in a smaller box.  The double set (but in one larger box than the single set) has 8 eyepieces and 1 Barlow.  

Tom

#517 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2022 - 02:48 PM

The rarity and exorbitant prices for the ZAOs makes discussions about performance rather moot. Most amateur astronomers will probably never look through one, never mind ever owning one. I've always said about any piece of telescope equipment - "love the one you're with".

I would never buy a set at today's prices. I had to sell off a bunch of stuff and scrounge up the rest to buy the set I have now at the original price. I couldn't afford it now.

I just joined a club down here in central Florida,  so at some point the members will get a chance to observe with mine. I would like to hear their opinions and compare them with the eyepieces they have.

• Jeff Morgan and j.gardavsky like this

#518 SteveC

SteveC

Voyager 1

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:15 PM

I couldn't agree more! It's like being offered an Alvan Clark Refractor. While historically significant, I doubt it would show anything better than a modern coated and figured equal size lens from Tak, AP, Stellarvue, TEC...

My high school had an 8" Alvan Clark built around 1890, I believe, and probably equally as old eyepieces. My memory of those observing nights may be a bit foggy(1970-1972, not 1890grin.gif ), but my TEC140 puts up a better view. Who knows how often the objective and eyepieces where cleaned though, so that has to be considered. 

• helpwanted and Ohmless like this

#519 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 22 February 2022 - 04:52 PM

Denver has a 1894 Alvan Clark-Saegmuller 20-inch that was cleaned about 2 or 3 years ago that is open to the public.  https://www.denverastro.org/

• Ohmless likes this

#520 noisejammer

noisejammer

Fish Slapper

• Moderators
  • Loc: The Uncanny Valley

Posted 23 February 2022 - 06:04 AM

Don't fool yourself, many of the original customers bought them to use. Mine come out on good nights, but usually for shallow space targets. Since I binoview, I don't bother with the 4mm and 6mm ZAO II ... I've kept these because I want to keep the set complete.

The short answer is these are still the best lunar & planetary eyepieces ever made. You can look through my collection (here) and decide whether it's complete enough to convince you. Of course, you are always sky limited. I find that patience helps, even under sub-arcsec seeing.

From 13 years in Toronto - if you live under the jet stream - I'd not bother.

• Paul G, Jeff Morgan, turtle86 and 2 others like this

#521 jimandlaura26

jimandlaura26

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 24 February 2022 - 01:38 AM

Interesting thread. That said, I’m happy observing with my modest Baader Classic, Fujiyama, University, and Takahashi Starbase Orthoscopics; together with my Tak. Starbase Kellner and Edmund RKE EPs. Collector or observer its all good and retro-nostalgic.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics