Some added thoughts on the focal reducer, based on my experience using one with my C8 on a fork mount:
- Larger eyepieces and 2" diagonal no longer clear the bottom of the fork mount...Doh!
- Larger eyepieces and 2" diagonal no longer balance due to added weight and moment arm
- Threads on reducer are contemporary "loose tolerance" threads, don't go on to older C8 without some protesting...not cool
- Switching to high magnification requires taking off diagonal, taking off reducer, replacing diagonal, then switching eyepiece...that's a hassle
- most important: with longer optical path length of 2" diagonal...I couldn't achieve focus at infinity, so I need to bring that second 1.25" diagonal
These are the reasons I no longer own a 6.3 reducer. I'm of the opinion that longer eyepieces are the way to go.
I hope that's useful. Cheers!
My reducer doesn't leave my 8SE. The only way that it reduces contrast, is by widening the field of view. If I am going after Mars on a good night, I have both the eyepieces and Barlows to accomplish it.