•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone ever clean paint from an objective?

ATM DIY optics refractor
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob.Redshift

Jacob.Redshift

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2020 - 02:54 PM

I have been reading about “first contact” red polymer for eyepiece, mirror, and objective cleaning, which led me to looking up different chemical cleaners for glass. I have used (Individually, and on different occasions) original windex, distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and proper wiping methods with pec pads and lens cloths, and even premium cotton swabs— all pretty successfully for my mild cleaning needs of corrector plates, mirrors, objectives, and eyepieces. 

BUT I never had to clean anything wildly difficult from an objective: tree sap, avian excrement, paint, stain, etc.

First, has anyone had to deal with something heinous like that, and how successful were you? What worked? What didn’t?

Second, I luckily do not have this problem, or else I would be sharing pictures right now— but I like to be prepared with what it would take to do should I come across some sad telescope in a bad condition (as I do hunt the Craigslist forums/garage sales). 

Thanks for your insight!

#2 SteveG

SteveG

Cosmos

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:10 PM

I have been reading about “first contact” red polymer for eyepiece, mirror, and objective cleaning, which led me to looking up different chemical cleaners for glass. I have used (Individually, and on different occasions) original windex, distilled water, isopropyl alcohol and proper wiping methods with pec pads and lens cloths, and even premium cotton swabs— all pretty successfully for my mild cleaning needs of corrector plates, mirrors, objectives, and eyepieces. 

BUT I never had to clean anything wildly difficult from an objective: tree sap, avian excrement, paint, stain, etc.

First, has anyone had to deal with something heinous like that, and how successful were you? What worked? What didn’t?

Second, I luckily do not have this problem, or else I would be sharing pictures right now— but I like to be prepared with what it would take to do should I come across some sad telescope in a bad condition (as I do hunt the Craigslist forums/garage sales). 

Thanks for your insight!

I've used lacquer thinner to remove some very small spec's of tree sap. It worked beautifully. YOu have to be careful not to get it near any painted parts.

• daquad and gnowellsct like this

#3 213Cobra

213Cobra

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for your insight!

For sap and paint (which I haven't had to clean from any of my scopes), I found success using orange-oil-based Goo-B-Gone sparingly applied with optical microfiber cloth, after which liberal use of isopropyl to mop up the GBG oil residue achieved success on a friend's scope. No deleterious effects to the lens coatings.

Phil

#4 RichA

RichA

Vanguard

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:15 PM

Thanks for your insight!

Acetone.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM, DIY, optics, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics