•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Updated Smoke Forecast

astrophotography beginner imaging observing
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moab360

moab360

Vendor / Developer - Astrospheric

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 15 September 2020 - 05:38 PM

Astrospheric

Advanced weather forecasting for North American astronomers
newsmoke.jpg

Website  |  Android App  |  iOS App

Hi fellow astronomers,

Based on current events and feedback from users like you, I've been able to tweak the Smoke and Transparency forecast created by Astrospheric.

These updates are included going forward from the Sep 15th, 18UTC model run completed by the CMC and the Sep 15th, 15UTC model run completed by NOAA (available now).  Astrospheric is updating every 6 hours.

1. Lower concentrations of smoke and atmospheric aerosols are being more accurately reflected in the Transparency forecast.  There were issues reported that low concentrations were impacting far more than previously forecasted.
  2. High concentrations of smoke and atmospheric aerosols will max out the scale at "Poor" in the Transparency forecast when clear skies are predicted.  Prior to this update it was difficult to look at the Transparency forecast and understand which areas were being impacted by smoke vs clouds.  The new graphics will show a dingy grey ("Poor") color for transparency impacted only by smoke and other atmospheric aerosols.

Remember, you can quickly get to the Transparency and Smoke map overlays on Astrospheric by selecting from the Layers drop down

layerselect.png

Feedback continues to be welcome to help calibrate the color scales effectively. 

Clear(ish) Skies and stay safe,
-Dan

• dmdouglass, iwannabswiss, lakerunr and 1 other like this

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 15 September 2020 - 06:11 PM

Your website is GREAT!  waytogo.gif   Thank you for all the work that you did.  

• moab360 likes this

#3 moab360

moab360

Vendor / Developer - Astrospheric

• -----
  • Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Seattle

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:02 PM

Your website is GREAT!  waytogo.gif   Thank you for all the work that you did.  

My pleasure!

FYI, forgot to add this in my initial post but it's worth saying - The transparency forecast containing smoke and other aerosols is *on by default* for every forecast generated by the service.  Some folks come across this post https://www.cloudyni...recast-updated/ and still try to enable the feature.  No need to do this anymore!

#4 PEterW

PEterW

Vanguard

• Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 27 September 2020 - 05:05 AM

Looks great, be great to have outside North America. The animated clouds/forecasts look very handy.
Peter

#5 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:20 AM

Great. I always consult Astropheric  before going out to observe/image - my only wish would be Astropheric updates more frequent than 6 hours, if that is possible.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, imaging, observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics