•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Auto align with ZWO

Celestron equipment planetarium software accessories astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WhiteSandSky

WhiteSandSky

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:38 PM

Hello.  I have used my Celestron 8SE just a few times and I just recently got a ZWO ASI120MC-S.  My question is, can i use the crosshair or circle in the software to assist me with auto aligning the 8SE?  I use Auto 2 Star align which works perfectly, then I have to keep SYNCing it.  I thought about getting an eyepiece with the illuminated reticle to help me center a star for alignment, but I saw the crosshair and circle option in the software.  

#2 ICit2

ICit2

Vostok 1

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:16 PM

Yeah, if you're already set up with a laptop and all.  It's done all the time when imaging.  But for just visual work, it would be far simpler to just use a illuminated reticle eyepiece.

#3 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Kentucky, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:32 PM

Yes, the crosshair will work for centering. Try adding a couple of additional alignment stars after the 2 star alignment, your original go to slews will get better. Are you using the ASIair unit software or another program? The plate solving is great but with the small chip of the ASI120 on the 8se might result in a field of view too small for the plate solver.

#4 WhiteSandSky

WhiteSandSky

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:35 AM

I haven't set up my camera to my laptop yet.  This is my first time ever using a astrophotography setup.  I bought the ZWO ASI120MCS on a whim because I wanted to spice up my 8SE viewing sessions.  

#5 dcollier

dcollier

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:12 AM

You can use a 0.5X Focal Reducer to widen the field of the ASI-120.  Just screw it into the nose piece.

https://www.astronom...ng-cameras.html

-Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, equipment, planetarium software, accessories, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics