•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Parallelogram suggestions

binoculars equipment tripod
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 Phutatorius

Phutatorius

Explorer 1

• Loc: Great Lakes region

Posted 28 September 2020 - 03:52 PM

I think the OP intended to end this thread.  I hope I'm not offending anyone by keeping it going for a little bit.  I've begun my parallelogram mount using cherry.  I've increased the dimensions a bit and added bronze sleeve bushings in the main pivots.  I've also increased the size of the bolt that attaches to the mount to 3/8 inch.  I'm using oak for the vertical pieces.  My largest bino now is a 10x50 Orion that I bought years ago.  The optics aren't terrific.  I intend to get a set of 80mm or maybe 100mm binos eventually. 

What is the black metal fitting used for the rotation point in your photo?

#27 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 04:19 PM

What is the black metal fitting used for the rotation point in your photo?

There are two planes of motion.  One a vertical plane allowing pointing the binoculars at any altitude which is required.  The horizontal plane allows more freedom in azimuth.  The benefit of the horizontal plane of motion is that you can observe over a much wider swath of the sky without having to move your chair.  This is especially important if you use a zero gravity chair.

#28 Phutatorius

Phutatorius

Explorer 1

• Loc: Great Lakes region

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:30 PM

I think my question wasn't clear: I meant to ask what is that fitting?  Where can I get a similar one? 

#29 Napp

Napp

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 28 September 2020 - 06:57 PM

I used two very heavy duty shelf supports and cut them to size.  Drilled holes through them and ran bolts through with Teflon washers.  Couldn’t find anything suitable at Home Depot or Lowe’s.  Finally found the supports at a “real” hardware store.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: binoculars, equipment, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics