•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Not a typical impactite

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joneser

Joneser

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 12:31 AM

The meteorite impact theory was not based on just a couple of stones, there were hundreds of stones/gemstones that were found to have been altered, modified or morphed. This stone is just one of so many. 41.jpg 42.jpg

#2 Impact Physics

Impact Physics

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:17 PM

These samples do appear to show high-pressure "spallation" shock evidence. Samples from a 1986 impact crater study resemble some of the unique features within your suspected impact rocks. I'll include a couple of reference photos below...and good luck with your future research on the topic. 

Pingualuit_Impactite-768x576.jpg

Ref. Photo 1 w/ description: "An example of impactite found by the author in the vicinity of the Pingualuit crater. The impact origin of the Pingualuit Impact Crater was finally confirmed in 1986 with the discovery of impactite similar to this in the vicinity of the structure."

Eric_impactmelt_pingualuit1.jpg  

Ref, Photo 2: "Impactite from the bolide impact at Pingualuit."

* I would guess that 99.9% of everyone speculating the origin of this material by sight would classify it as volcanic/obsidian related. And, of course they would be wrong. 

- James Tate  

Edited by Impact Physics, 05 October 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#3 Joneser

Joneser

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 October 2020 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for sharing the images. When I researched this specimen, I could not find anything to compare it to as an impactite. Some of these have turned out to be a real head scratcher. 

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oort Cloud 9

Posted 09 October 2020 - 09:51 AM

These samples do appear to show high-pressure "spallation" shock evidence. Samples from a 1986 impact crater study resemble some of the unique features within your suspected impact rocks. I'll include a couple of reference photos below...and good luck with your future research on the topic. 

attachicon.gifPingualuit_Impactite-768x576.jpg

Ref. Photo 1 w/ description: "An example of impactite found by the author in the vicinity of the Pingualuit crater. The impact origin of the Pingualuit Impact Crater was finally confirmed in 1986 with the discovery of impactite similar to this in the vicinity of the structure."

attachicon.gifEric_impactmelt_pingualuit1.jpg

Ref, Photo 2: "Impactite from the bolide impact at Pingualuit."

* I would guess that 99.9% of everyone speculating the origin of this material by sight would classify it as volcanic/obsidian related. And, of course they would be wrong. 

- James Tate  

You make statements like the bolded one, but I am curious, what are your credentials in this field? These rocks and most of the ones posted recently are clearly terrestrial rocks that are not impacted related and even a well-versed layman can determine that. So, I am wondering, if this well-versed layman (me) is wrong, then I want to know how knowledgeable and qualified the opposing opinion is. I freely admit that I have no academic credentials in the planetary sciences, but I have also been an active member of the meteorite scientific community for over a decade. I collect and study impactites, tektites, melts, and other impact-related specimens that I have acquired from respected sources in the field. I have owned and held in my hands every type of impactite known to science, from localities around the world. Nothing in my experience resembles these. So, before this parade of dubious rocks continues unabated, please tell us a bit about your credentials to be making authoritative judgements on specimens in defiance of what several experienced and knowledgeable people are trying to tell you. 

• lee14 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics