•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQDirect - Making a RJ45 to DB9 adapter for a NEQ6

eq mount DIY
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eichan

eichan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:33 AM

Hi all,

I own a NEQ6 mount and EQDirect cable, but the RJ45 version. The NEQ6 uses a DB9 port, so I got an adapter but I need to wire it myself. I am quite unsure how to wire my adapter. The first diagram here should tell me how, but I'm still not sure I get it. If I look at the EQDirect adapter, it looks like on pin 1 & 2, when the diagram says there should be ground there. Also someone in an INDI forum told me I could ignore the 12v pin as it would be supplied by the mount, but the RJ45 actually seems to have something on those pins.

It's tempting to just look at the wiring of both adapters and trust the colors, but I'm afraid making mistakes here might damage the mount...

Any ideas?

Thanks

#2 Arjan

Arjan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 16 September 2020 - 03:49 PM

You do need the 12V, to power the converter in your cable. I guess it connects to your pc serial port?

If it is a USB EQDirect cable, the converter is probably powered by the USB interface. In that case you don't need the 12V.

You have to be careful with this 12V, since it is not fused. If you short it to ground, the NEQ6 controller board will be damaged. (don't ask how I know)

I have made a few cables, and need to look up the details. Why don't you buy a male db9, and replace the rj45 with it?

#3 kathyastro

kathyastro

Vanguard

• Loc: Nova Scotia

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:01 PM

Ignore the upper part of the diagram with the electronics.  That is the converter, which you already have in the EQDirect cable.  Unless I am misunderstanding your requirement, you just want to make an adapter to connect the RJ45 end of your existing EQDirect cable to the DB9 port on the EQ6.  That means that you want to make an adapter that connects the bottom two parts of the diagram.

So, just using the bottom two parts of the diagram, wire Gnd to Gnd, 12v to 12v, Tx to Tx, and Rx to Rx.  Done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eq, mount, DIY

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics