•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lazy

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 04:55 AM

Hi all. I have an NexStar 5se. What I would really love to do is sit in my lounge and view everything on an iPad or laptop. Is this possible? What equipment would I need? And would I be able to zoom in on a specific target?

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Skylab

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:12 AM

I suggest to post in the EAA forum for better answers, but in any case you may purchase an usb camera to observe from the PC (e.g. from ZWO range) or directly from a TV (believe that watec has suitable models).
Mind however that the field of view will be ruled by the sensor size: given the pretty long focal of the c5 if get a cheap camera (with small sensor) such as the zwo asi120 will not be able to frame not even the whole of the Moon, which is not so large

#3 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:20 AM

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I don’t want to take photos of anything. I was just wandering if it could be done as the nights here are starting to get colder and being like a fair weather fisherman just wanted to stay indoors and look at the stars and planets.

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Apollo

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:57 AM

Beginners Forum (No astrophotography here - please read the forum description)

#5 trigger

trigger

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:00 AM

Thank you for your reply. At the moment I don’t want to take photos of anything. I was just wandering if it could be done as the nights here are starting to get colder and being like a fair weather fisherman just wanted to stay indoors and look at the stars and planets.

LOL. Your scope can be controlled via tablet or PC but without a camera, you're stuck looking through the eyepiece buddy.

• Hesiod likes this

#6 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:01 AM

My apologies. I didn’t realise I was talking about Astro photography.

#7 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:03 AM

Thank you trigger. I’ll have to look into how to control it with the iPad.

#8 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:07 AM

A great question. And currently their is a product that does that, but it is very expensive. A small, good sensor for capturing planets would be good, but like Hesiod says the field of view would be very small for anything else. On a budget, in your shoes I would think afocal viewing (a camera on top of an eyepiece) would be the way to go. To bad an out-of-box solution on a budget is not available to do what you want. But maybe there is.

My two cents.

Edited by mashirts, 16 September 2020 - 06:08 AM.

#9 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:23 AM

Thank you for your reply mashirts. I’m not exactly on a budget, so how expensive is expensive?

#10 mashirts

mashirts

Viking 1

• Loc: Elgin, TX

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:35 AM

No problem Tel65. Stellina is the product name. It is an entire telescope. $4000 is the price and this is a link for it.

https://optcorp.com/...smart-telescope

Don't let that price deter you. You should be able to put together something with effort and research for considerably less money. I feel someone will eventually realize there is a market for what you are wanting. But maybe someone already has.

#11 yowser

yowser

Vostok 1

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

Might as well just google images from the Hubble. wink.gif

• Hesiod likes this

#12 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Soyuz

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:47 AM

The Revolution R2 Imaging System ($299.99) is a complete kit ... including monitor ... for remote observing through your telescope.

https://www.revolutionimager.com/

It's a pretty basic system, but it does work. I'd suggest getting a Celestron f/6.3 focal reducer to make finding objects much easier ... even though you have a goto scope. It will also allow much shorter exposure times. All you need to do is connect your computer to the telescope through wifi or a cable extension or skip the computer and extend the handcontroller cable.

Good Luck ...

Edited by *skyguy*, 16 September 2020 - 06:50 AM.

#13 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

Wow. I like it. A bit pricey for me. But thanks to your advice I will be able to look into that type of system a lot better now.

#14 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

Thank you skyguy. I’m looking I to that one now too. I really appreciate the replies.

#15 SloMoe

SloMoe

Gemini

• Loc: Washington State

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:52 AM

Might as well just google images from the Hubble. wink.gif

This is how I got back into the hobby, and it's not bad, no misquotes.

#16 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:14 AM

Skyguy, I’ve just looked at it. It’s available here in the U.K. for the same in £ as in $ so a very good price. It seems to be just the thing I want. As I’ve got the NexStar 5se I’m acquiring the starsense auto align and also the WiFi portal. Having looked at that piece of kit I think I might get to like this hobby a lot more than I am at the moment.

#17 spereira

spereira

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

Moving to EAA ...

smp

#18 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:50 AM

Thank you all for the advice and my apologies if my subject was in the wrong topic.

#19 GazingOli

GazingOli

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Stuttgart GERMANY

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:31 AM

tel65, have a look at this: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

it is exactly what you are looking for. Start at 22:00 Minutes

CS.Oli

• garyhawkins likes this

#20 garyhawkins

garyhawkins

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:52 AM

tel65, so kind of Oli to call out my video - I hope you find it useful. It does demonstrate what is possible with relatively cheap equipment.  If you were to use a 224/290/385 model camera from ZWO, rather than the 533 featured, then on the secondhand market you could put this hardware setup together for about $1200.  New, it's about $2000.  As you can see from the video, this setup can be run remotely and will provide hours of viewing fun.  The software is basically free, well $15/year for the pro version of SharpCap.

tel65, have a look at this: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

it is exactly what you are looking for. Start at 22:00 Minutes

CS.Oli

#21 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Cosmos

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:01 AM

I use the Revolution Imager with optional WiFi adapter to view with a tablet or phone. However for remote operation you also need to control the scope remotely. If I understand Celestron’s standard setup, it is Bluetooth, so it works well for 20 feet or so, but won’t go much further and might struggle penetrating walls. So you would likely need to look at a more complex solution. Also, you would still need to go outside, set up the scope and do your star alignment process (probably four stars to get enough precision for Rev Imager). Unless you have a backyard observatory it will still get cold. But once set up you can go back in and observe as long as you want, or until the batteries run out. Then bundle up and bring it back in.

If the Bluetooth range is an issue, you might consider setting the scope up next to your driveway and then sitting in your car with heater going while remotely controlling scope from car.

#22 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Thank you guys. Absolutely amazing. I never thought I’d be able to do that with my 5se scope. I won’t need to be outside for too long because the scope will have the starsense auto align and also the WiFi portal. I’m half way through the video and I’m blown away. I’ll go back to watching and report back later.
  • garyhawkins likes this

#23 nic35

nic35

Apollo

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:55 AM

You might want to look at the ASIAir pro, rather than the starsense.  All in one gizmo.  Only works with ZWO cameras and some DSLR's.But since ZWO is almost the leader in prosumer astrocams, not a big deal.

Folks have figured out how to align the scope using only the camera.

john

#24 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

Thank you John. I’ve just had a quick look at it. It’s around the same price as just the starsense without the WiFi portal. But, is it possible to auto align with it and a camera ? Aligning seems to be my biggest problem at the moment because the red dot finder on my scope is intermittently working.

#25 tel65

tel65

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:31 AM

Thank you Gary. I’ve now watched all of the video. I was really impressed with what you can do. However I did find the software a bit over my head. With software I like things to be very very simple. The 385 camera here is around £330. The same sort of price I’d be paying for some decent optics. Having read my replies so far it’s put me in a position where I either buy a camera set up or buy some optics. I b quite like the camera idea because it will save me time fiddling about trying to focus. But at the same time I’d like to be learning about how to use the scope properly. I really appreciate people taking the time out to give me advice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics