•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Planetary Eyepieces for Nexstar 6SE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AlanC

AlanC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:47 AM

Hello,

I have a Nexstar 6SE and I'm looking for recommendations for planetary eyepieces.

I currently have the following eyepieces:

- Baader Hyperion 36

- Baader Hyperion 17

- TMB Planetary 9

- Celestron 25mm Plossl (included with scope)

I'm usually disappointed by the TMB, likely because it is often just too much magnification for the conditions, but I would like to know if there are other options I should consider replacing or supplementing it with.

I have a Celestron 2x Ultima SV Barlow and I've ordered a Celestron f/6.3 Reducer Corrector. 

I currently have the stock 1.25" diagonal, but I'm considering upgrading to a 2" diagonal.

I'd like to pick up one or two eyepieces more to round out my set.  What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Alan

Edited by AlanC, 16 September 2020 - 07:57 AM.

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:20 AM

I recommend a good quality zoom eyepiece.  Zooms let you select the optimal power for conditions and if you have a brief improvement with seeing, you can respond quickly with increased power.  It is during these brief periods of improved seeing that you will see the most detail in the session.  With fixed focal length eyepieces, by the time you change, you may have missed much of your window.

Better than that, I recommend binovewers (be sure to Barlow it in the C6 or you will loose aperture).  Even with an inexpensive pair of Plossls this will give better results than the most expensive "planetary" eyepieces. (Again, Barlow is essential here but many binoviewers come with one.)

Best yet is binoviewers and a pair of zooms. 

Edited by Eddgie, 16 September 2020 - 08:21 AM.

• eros312 likes this

#3 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:06 AM

HI Alan

I have the Evolution 6 (same tube as you) and I have been working with the same questions

Right now I have

- stock eye pieces but not happy with them

- stock diagonal - seems ok?? but have nothing to compare it too

-  Celestron X-cel  25mm

-  Celestron Luminos 15mm

I would like to get the following

- Baader Hyperion 10mm

- Televue 2x Barlow

I kind of wish I had done all Hyperion 5, 8, 10, 13, 17, 21, 24

....so what would I suggest?, not sure. I'll quietly watch this post and see what other come back with

#4 Parsonsk

Parsonsk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:07 AM

one question I meant to ask is about your Barlow, how do you like it?

#5 AlanC

AlanC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:09 AM

one question I meant to ask is about your Barlow, how do you like it?

I really haven't used it enough to be able to comment.

#6 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:29 AM

6SE is 1500mm focal length.

Jupiter lets say 80x as a minimum so that is an 18mm eyepiece.

Saturn lets say 120x and that is 12.5mm

Mars is likely the problem as you need 200x and more for any real "detail". Usually somewhat blurred detail. But more then a uniform reddish disk. 200x is 7.5mm. If the 9mm is considered too much then questionable.

The obvious at the 12 and 18 are the Paradigms. And simple answer is start with the 12mm, if that works and shows Saturn then use it on Jupiter. Maybe forget the 18mm then although likely useful.

Others - ES52, but the focal lengths don't fall as good. Guess the 10mm is the one but could be pushing your luck, would deliver 150x. The longer one is then the 15mm for 100x. Likely good ofr Jupiter, maybe bit small for Saturn.

11mm and 15mm TV plossl ? 136x and 100x.

ES68's in 16mm for 93x and the ES82 in 11mm for 136x .

Still excludes Mars - do you want much of/from Mars?

Thought was 11mm ES82 for Saturn and therefore Jupiter and say a risky 6.7mm ES82 for 223x and Mars. Risky as reads the scope is not delivering past the 9mm and 6.7mm is a big jump. Maybe forget.

Could you borrow an 8mm Paradigm? Or an 8mm TV plossl ?

Equally 8mm is just 187x, and Mars often requires more.

Hyperons I know nothing about, always had an odd reputation here.

General concern for planetary eyepieces is that you can have steps of 1mm between the shorter 8 eyepieces - Guess how I know lol.gif  lol.gif  lol.gif

Add a location, doubt it but if sort of just up the road from me I have a number of eyepiece you could try.

And someone else did say "Whats the chance of that then?".

They lived 15 miles North of the club, I was 15 miles South and we were in the same club.

#7 japaoletti

japaoletti

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chelsea, Michigan

Posted 16 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

From what I’ve seen the c6 is operating at about 1600 fl. I use a Tak 1.25 prism diagonal. Look below and you can see what I use. Been very happy with my DeLites and barlow. I’ve been getting nice results with the barlowed 18.2. I made an extender that increases the barlow to about 2.2x which brings the DeLite to about 8mm. Make sure your c6 acclimates to the outdoor temp before attempting these higher powers. I’m getting 200x easy on good nights, but it takes almost an hour outside before it holds up. 

#8 cmkaste

cmkaste

Lift Off

• Loc: Shakopee, MN

Posted 16 September 2020 - 06:12 PM

+1 for the DeLites. The 11mm (~145x) has seen the most focuser time this summer and has been the best balance/combination of magnification, brightness, contrast, sharpness and detail on most average nights in my C6. The typical seeing doesn't always support the 9mm (~178x), but I've been really pleased with the views when I've been able to use it. 

Craig

#9 PowerM3

PowerM3

Mariner 2

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

I second the recommendation on a zoom! More specifically I would recommend the Baader zoom. More info here: https://www.youtube....FR9nfZd4&t=591s

#10 AlanC

AlanC

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

I second the recommendation on a zoom! More specifically I would recommend the Baader zoom. More info here: https://www.youtube....FR9nfZd4&t=591s

Already ordered one!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics