•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dimension of Sky-Watcher 10-inch and 12-inch collapsed

beginner dob equipment
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cbchhaya

Cbchhaya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:49 AM

Hi,

Can anyone share collapsed height, width and weight of the Sky-Watcher 10-inch and 12-inch collapsible (non goto) dob?

Also is coma a distinct issue with the 12-inch?

Thanks!

#2 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:33 PM

I meant to get back to you on this sooner, but forgot and just now remembered!

The collapsed height is 36 inches (915 mm) , 16 inches wide (407mm) at the widest point (the altitude bearings) and the base is 25 inches (635mm)  wide. 

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:39 PM

Oh that’s for the 12” model. I don’t have a 10 inch model. I don’t think the coma is that bad. I see the failure in the eyepieces far sooner than coma. But then again I didn’t even know about coma existed until I read about it so that may be something that a more discerning viewer notices but I personally don’t notice it at all

Edited by wrnchhead, 16 September 2020 - 08:40 PM.

#4 Cbchhaya

Cbchhaya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:54 AM

That’s cool. I think that should just about squeeze into the back of my SUV. I am thinking of getting the biggest possible aperture instead of adding on things like intellisense or synscan and then adding something like nexus II down the line. Any thoughts there?

#5 Mr.Jim

Mr.Jim

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:08 AM

I have the SW 12. When I had a minivan it was easy, I just stood the tube up on a piece of foam and bungied it to the back of the passenger seat, easy in and out. When I got a RAV4 I thought my days of transporting the scope were over, but when I finally tried it fit with seats folded down. It's a bit of a grunt to get the base up behind the seats but there's enough room for the tube to fit sideways on a cushion. Just need pillows or something to to keep it from rolling.

#6 Cbchhaya

Cbchhaya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:24 AM

That’s awesome context Mr.Jim. And once you get it out did it need collimating every time?

#7 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:57 AM

We have a 2019 Camry (average trunk) and I have a 95 Trans Am, and I have no problems fitting it collapsed in the trunk or seats of either of them. Or my daughter's 2003 Camry. I think this kind of thing is considered when they design the scope. 

#8 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Vanguard

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:59 AM

That’s awesome context Mr.Jim. And once you get it out did it need collimating every time?

Yes. I have to collimate it even rolling it over my rough driveway with a hand truck. It's just part of the convenience of the flextube design I suppose. But it's one of those things, with practice the collimating just becomes second nature. 

Edited by wrnchhead, 17 September 2020 - 08:59 AM.

#9 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

At the very least you should check the collimation of any reflector, prior to use, all the time.  Doesn't matter if it's a flextube, solid tube, truss or whatever.  Sometimes they'll need adjusted sometimes not.  Doesn't hurt to check.

• wrnchhead likes this

#10 Cbchhaya

Cbchhaya

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:26 AM

Old Rookie, I get that. Unfortunately I have been burned by my 127EQ which I’ve never been able to collimate perfectly. It might just be that that the defects are outside the tube than inside 🙂

Edited by Cbchhaya, 17 September 2020 - 09:30 AM.

#11 Old Rookie

Old Rookie

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 17 September 2020 - 11:06 AM

Old Rookie, I get that. Unfortunately I have been burned by my 127EQ which I’ve never been able to collimate perfectly. It might just be that that the defects are outside the tube than inside

That's a bust.  However, you shouldn't have an issue with either the 10" or 12" flextube.  With good tools and good instruction you'll have your collimation set in no time.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, dob, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics