•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

If you have not tried Astrosurface yet you really should

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 September 2020 - 09:54 AM

I know most old timers here are prone to stick with what they know but I really think you will be surprised how great Astrosurface is, I think the users manual is still in translation but the learning curve is not too steep, probably one of the biggest things to understand is the decovolution control is married to the hf wavlet control so if you adjust one it affects the other.  Anyway the program is under active development and is a winner, fast and reliable

#2 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

I gave it a try after watching Jean Luc D'Auvergne's youtube vids. Trouble is they're in french, but as hes talking astro and you can see what he's doing, you can understand maybe 20% of it!

Im aware it has potential for sure. Interested if anyone has more info or how-to advice. If it can batch process wavelets to the quality of registax im in.

#3 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:25 AM

I think maybe a sticky might be good for users to post various instructions.... everything is not clear to me but I know enough to get people up and running

#4 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:32 AM

It would be most helpful if you could briefly describe what does Astrosurface do?

Thanks!

I know most old timers here are prone to stick with what they know but I really think you will be surprised how great Astrosurface is, I think the users manual is still in translation but the learning curve is not too steep, probably one of the biggest things to understand is the decovolution control is married to the hf wavlet control so if you adjust one it affects the other.  Anyway the program is under active development and is a winner, fast and reliable

#5 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

probably one of the biggest things to understand is the decovolution control is married to the hf wavlet control so if you adjust one it affects the other.

I don't understand one bit of that statement. lol.gif  lol.gif  OK maybe the first 9 words, after that not a clue.

#6 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

The very basics

1) file- import ser or avi

2) click on analyze/register

3) now you have a window of 4 panes, each pane is a step, so you have to go in order

4) first pane is detect, click on detect disk, it will draw a box around your planet

5) you have to double click on the planet, then the next pane will highlight

6) click analyze

7) once analyze is done you can either click on graph to select frames to stack or just go on to next pane, if you go on it’s going to do 50% of your best frames

8) the next pane lets you choose global alignment or select pixel alignment, I use pixel and it’s fine to start off with what is showing as default, so now click set and you will see grids on top of your planet

9) then the final pane lights up, just click stack

10) after stack is done it will auto save to an aligned file in whatever capture program you are using.

11) close your preview and analyze windows and start fresh

12) file- open

13) select the file it just saved

14) your stacked image is on screen so now just click wavlets

15) you will need to draw a box around your planet, play with all the sliders and just watch your planet transform, once your pleased then click do all

16) your now ready to save as, or continue with other image processing, there is a lot you can do but those are the basics steps to get you there

• Jim R likes this

#7 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 10:47 AM

Once you get in to the wavlet processing part of the program you will see various sliders.... it’s just a matter of playing with them to tweak your image, I was just trying to say some of them effect others while others are independent of each other

I don't understand one bit of that statement. lol.gif  lol.gif  OK maybe the first 9 words, after that not a clue.

#8 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 September 2020 - 11:00 AM

Sure, Astrosurface combines a stacking program with a wavlet program, most people use multiple programs, I’ll refrain from saying one is better, I just don’t have that experience.... I can only say Astrosurface is very good, I imagine some will like it better and some worse, I just like it alot so spreading the word, It’s free

It would be most helpful if you could briefly describe what does Astrosurface do?

Thanks!

Edited by GSBass, 16 September 2020 - 11:00 AM.

• Gary Z likes this

#9 happylimpet

happylimpet

Aurora

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:27 AM

Aha! I didnt know it stacked also! Have you done a comparison with AutoStakkert to see if it equals or even surpasses it?

#10 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 September 2020 - 09:20 AM

I won’t be doing any direct comparisons do to limited experience, however there is a great deal of control over which images get stacked that was not obvious to me early on, I had been just stacking the best percentages but the program does allow you to reject frames, select certain segments to stack etc, I can’t write a how to on this yet but the tools are there to do this..... as far as the stacking itself, I see no bad stacking, seems to work perfectly, I have a slow computer and it takes a few minutes to stack 2000 frames or so, when I stack 10 to 15000 it has taken about 15 to 20 minutes

Aha! I didnt know it stacked also! Have you done a comparison with AutoStakkert to see if it equals or even surpasses it?

Edited by GSBass, 17 September 2020 - 09:21 AM.

#11 Phguy65

Phguy65

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley area, New York State, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the tip GSBASS.  I downloaded this yesterday and have been processing some short captures of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.  I am by no means a master at processing but this app got me some good looking images pretty quickly.  To me, it has a better flow that Registax6, which often had me pulling my already thinning hair out.

So I capture my images in SharpCap, then pre-process with PiPP then finish with Astrosurface.  I suppose if I was really tweaking the images I could go on to GIMP but I just like processing the images for my own quick analysis.

Thanks again!

• GSBass likes this

#12 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:10 PM

I’m glad you liked it, I downloaded pipp but have not tried it yet, my work flow is sharpcap/astrosurface then I attach my harddrive to my iPad where I have a variety I try, I like some tools in snapseed, I have affinity and an old program called Leonardo that I know well.... even apples edit tools work well on some stuff

Thanks for the tip GSBASS.  I downloaded this yesterday and have been processing some short captures of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.  I am by no means a master at processing but this app got me some good looking images pretty quickly.  To me, it has a better flow that Registax6, which often had me pulling my already thinning hair out.

So I capture my images in SharpCap, then pre-process with PiPP then finish with Astrosurface.  I suppose if I was really tweaking the images I could go on to GIMP but I just like processing the images for my own quick analysis.

Thanks again!

#13 GSBass

GSBass

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 September 2020 - 11:44 AM

Was helping someone so sharing the wavlet portion after the initial stacking is done

when you start the wavlet pane, just work from top to bottom, you can leave stuff alone you don’t understand but here is the gist of it. The top slider says pre noise filter, .05 is good for that one. The decovolution slider... just leave it alone too for now.
Now you will see a HF slider.... this is your main one.... the top HF slider is Coarse adjustments, it has a slider underneath it that fine tunes the range of that coarse adjustment hf stands for high frequency and is suppose to be sharpening the larger structures.... typically I will use 5 to 8 coarse and then use the fine tune slider

The next one down is LF....it works the same way but is for finer detail, smaller detail.... you won’t use too much of it but it’s handy too.... there is no correct settings for these... you just have to look at the image and play,
At the bottom you will see another noise reduction slider.... it’s best to just leave that alone too and just concentrate on keeping noise down by how much wavlets you use. .... other wise you get in to a endless loop of sharpening and reducing noise til you end up with a mess

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics